Chris750

New year new money pit.

Chris750

Well this came up locally and it had to be done!

42 years old, 31,000 miles, lots of history, mainly original apart from paint and air filters (airbox supplied)

400.4.jpg

• Like 9

Rocker66

I look forward to seeing your posts on the refurbishment.

trisaki

What's that ,  about  r reg , f1  

Chris750
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, trisaki said:

What's that ,  about  r reg , f1  

Yes "R" plate registered 1st October 1976

F1 was never shipped to UK although F models with frame mounted pillion footrests are often referred to as F1. 

Edited by Chris750

suffolk58

You'll probably be getting to know this place quite well (or maybe do already): https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

If you are coming this way to collect spares, let me know and I'll put the kettle on.

• Thanks 1

baben

Is that a WetDream?

• Sigh 2

Tex
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, baben said:

Is that a WetDream?

Jesus Glendon! Go and wash your mouth out! It’s a CB400F (four cylinder). A brilliant (in it’s day) little sports bike. I have a massive soft spot for the model with many happy memories. 

1265-CA53-C539-4878-B2-EE-4-D7-C7-E59-E9

Edited by Tex
  • Like 4

Grumpy Meltdown

It’s quite difficult to find a good one Chris and from that pic it looks OK, well done.

Looking forward to watching it return to glory.

Rocker66

The latest edition of Real Classic has a letter from a guy who has a Mocheck (remember them?) Harrier version which he is putting back on the road after 37 years in storage.

• Like 2

Hickky

Chris, what a great project, I am envious! Back in the day I had one for a few months, in blue. However it was not reliable as it had done 40k and smoked as if on 40 no6 a day. It was a case of never own the bike you lusted after once you experienced later models unless they are tip top mechanically! Mine needed a re-bore, something to sort out the bouncy handling, carb balance and a front brake that worked. So some other sucker bought it from my MCN advert and I got the same as I paid for it, but I can't remember how much, something like £70 I think.

But what a cracking looking bike they were but, sadly, one that broke my rose tinted glasses. As it is in blue, repaint it in that lovely navy blue colour.

Does she run?

• Like 1

Mr Toad

A lovely bike. It was only last year that I found out that Honda also did a 350 Four, this one was the first I'd ever seen.

20181013_130058.jpg.e9cc3ab59346de25545999143c5dbff2.jpg

• Like 2

Chris750

The bike runs nicely and starts on the button (or kick), although it was last on the road in 96 the guy I bought it off preps his sons race bikes and has looked after the important bits, inside the tank is spotless, it has been run and ridden on private ground regularly, the plan is to check the important bits and get it on the road and use it this year to weadle out any issues and then think about restoring next year, and yes the original Honda Varnish blue would be nice, already ordered the decals 😁

• Like 4

skorpion
1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

A lovely bike. It was only last year that I found out that Honda also did a 350 Four, this one was the first I'd ever seen.

20181013_130058.jpg.e9cc3ab59346de25545999143c5dbff2.jpg

I don't think they were an official Honda import here so are quite rare.

If I remember correctly Phil Read had one back in the day.

• Like 2

horobags

I had a new 4004 f2 in burgandy in 1978, reg -xba 285s,  I bought it from Derek Johnsons in Manchester where I also worked, and I also sold a few as well. I clearly remember my first impressions were it was so solid and smooth. It was my first big bike after passing my test. I loved it until I had a go on a mates KH 400, you can guess the rest.

lazlo woodbine
57 minutes ago, horobags said:

I had a new 4004 f2 in burgandy in 1978, reg -xba 285s,  I bought it from Derek Johnsons in Manchester where I also worked, and I also sold a few as well. I clearly remember my first impressions were it was so solid and smooth. It was my first big bike after passing my test. I loved it until I had a go on a mates KH 400, you can guess the rest.

Ha Ha. Brings back a painful memory from the 70's. I had a friend called Peter Dolby who was a dispatch rider and racer and who lived in London. He brought me over a beautiful blue 400/4 which I happily rode around on its UK reg(import tax avoidance) until it got seized by the Guards after I was caught doing silly manoeuvres on my morning commute.I told the cop that it belonged to a  mate and then  asked  Peter to come over and claim it back. He duly arrived on a KH400 and retrieved the CB. I went for a spin on the KH and totalled the bike and put myself in the hospital. Peter headed off back to London on the 400/4 and I had 6 weeks off work and no bike.

• Sigh 1

Tex

The name Pete Dolby rings a bell. I think he used to do the BMCRC races more or less the same time as I did. Didn’t he race a CB500F?

• Like 1

Hickky

Funnily enough Tex, the name rings a bell with me as well. Bemsee meeets were my life for three years in the early 80s. Mind you we were racing TZ250D and later on a 350F. CB500F doesn't seem to me to be very competitive at the time. For the Open proddie they were too slow and a TZ350 with the offset crank pins making it 352cc were faster than that in an open351- 500 race. I was a dispatch rider also but Pete didn't work for Inter City. We had Matt Oxley's brother as controller though!

• Like 1

baben
17 hours ago, Tex said:

Jesus Glendon! Go and wash your mouth out! It’s a CB400F (four cylinder). A brilliant (in it’s day) little sports bike. I have a massive soft spot for the model with many happy memories. 

I will grovel suitably.  In my defence it does look like a twin in the original photo though the tank is not right of course. I agree the 400 is a lovely machine, one of many I never owned!

baben

All this Honda nostalgia. I think we should arrange a meet up at the David Silver museum in Leiston followed by fish n chips in Aldeborough.

• Like 3

lazlo woodbine
1 hour ago, Tex said:

The name Pete Dolby rings a bell. I think he used to do the BMCRC races more or less the same time as I did. Didn’t he race a CB500F?

Sad to say Tex I lost Touch with Peter. The last bike I remember him racing was a RG500 and the last memory of him on the bike was a near vertical wheelie on our run what you brung drag race on Tom Cravens estate in Berkshire. Fun times.:D

• Like 2

Tex
2 hours ago, baben said:

All this Honda nostalgia. I think we should arrange a meet up at the David Silver museum in Leiston followed by fish n chips in Aldeborough.

I’m in! Subject to the usual conditions, obviously. I had a wonderful time on the Cromer run last year. Will probably turn it into an overnighter again. :) 

Hickky

Sounds a good day out to me as well!

Grumpy Meltdown

Hmmm, I might be tempted, there’s food on offer. 🙂

Chris750

Well I survived the Newark classic bike show without spending a shed load of cash on bits and bobs although it would of been quite easy to do so as there was plenty of nice shiney 400/4 stuff.

Had a chat with Maria Costello about her sidecar she's hoping to run at the TT and succumbed to purchasing her calendar!

• Like 3

Chris750

Things have progressed and Mr Silver relieved me of some money.

I'm happy with the motor good compression and some fresh fuel she was running sweet before I did this :D

refurb7.jpg

• Like 6