wingrider.steve

Hit by the OEM chain bug!

wingrider.steve

Well my chain (like a lot of others) has curled up its toes and given notice its had enough.

The bike has done 10800 from new, nearly all of that with a chain oiler fitted but the chain now has numerous tight spots.

I've ordered a chain and sprocket kit which I should have by Thursday or Friday so it looks like I'll have a good excuse to disappear into the garage for a while on Saturday!

• Like 5

PoppetM

I seem to average about 9,000 miles or one year, oiled it tonight at it looks like it is gone again...

Bart Stilgo

8000 miles and I haven't even adjusted the chain yet.  Its just about ready for adjustment now

It gets cleaned with WD40, dried off and then oiled with a tooth brush about every couple of hundred miles.

Its an OE DID chain

I guess it depends on the weather you ride in and I don't go out in all weathers either.

Cheers

MikeBike
Posted (edited)

My OEM one lasted 17k with a tutorial oiler. no adjustments but tight spots at the end.

Edited by MikeBike

gonzo

I'm amazed at how honda chains don't  last these days ,  ! My 09 transalp had 27000 miles on it and still had the original chain when i sold it,! :cry:

• Like 1

embee

I think it's down to the OE spec chain used on the NC. I haven't had to put a new chain on my Deauville in 50k miles and 16years. :whistle:

• Haha 3

slowboy
1 hour ago, embee said:

I think it's down to the OE spec chain used on the NC. I haven't had to put a new chain on my Deauville in 50k miles and 16years. :whistle:

Strangely my Kawasaki GT 750's not needed a chain in 42k mikes and 34 years. Not even a cam chain.....(once more our brave hero tweaks the brittle nose of fate.)

• Like 1

Andy m

Coming up on 5k and only adjusted because I changed the tyres. Fed on monthly dose of Wurth dry stuff. 

The worse bike I had was one the BMW's. Yamaha used the same chain on a 250 two-smoke as the Bavarians fitted to a 650 thumper. Still, they are easier than lubing splines! 

Andy

Nic756

Think I've been lucky with mine (famous last words!!)

Mine's a 2012 Integra, bought 1 year ago with under 2500 miles and is now on nearly 11000. Poor thing, she was having a nice easy life then I came along and made her go out in the rain and do some work :-)

Still on original chain, regularly oiled but have to admit not cleaned thoroughly as often as it needed, but just had MOT and all fine. Having a cuppa and a chat with the garage bloke afterwards I asked specifically about the chain and he said it's in good condition, there's no tight spots or anything. Don't think it's been adjusted since I got it either. Hope I've not jinxed it.

• Haha 1

wingrider.steve

Just fitted a new DID ZVM-X chain and sprockets, hopefully this chain should last longer than the crap OEM one.

Scootabout

FWIW I got about 17k miles out of the OEM chain, but it had been in pretty poor condition for 1-2k miles before that. The DID VX (?) chain I have now has done about 23k and is beginning to freeze up. I've WD40'd it and it has loosened, but I suspect it might not be long for this world. 

fj_stuart
1 hour ago, Scootabout said:

FWIW I got about 17k miles out of the OEM chain, but it had been in pretty poor condition for 1-2k miles before that. The DID VX (?) chain I have now has done about 23k and is beginning to freeze up. I've WD40'd it and it has loosened, but I suspect it might not be long for this world. 

In my experience once an O-ring chain gets tight spots caused by seized links  there is no way to fix it. I fitted a new chain to my FJ1200 this summer. The old chain lasted 15,000 miles. It was an EK brand and I fitted a DID which I think are the best. In the interests of science I now have the old chain steeping in a 50:50 mix of white spirit and engine oil. I'll leave it for a couple of years to see what happens. I'm not hopeful.  

• Like 2

skorpion

The OEM chain must vary a lot in quality as at 1500 miles mine had stiff links not running true, even though I oiled after every ride.

Changed it for a JT Z3 chain before it caused any wear on the sprockets and 2000 miles later no chain problems.

listener

My origin OEM chain lasted just over 11000 miles from new.

The OEM replacement lasted around 13000 mi.

Current OEM is on around 6000 mi and still pretty good nick.

Hand-sprayed Castrol lube.