Sign in to follow this  
Pat murphy

Varadero 1000

Pat murphy

Had a spin on a 1000 varadero the other day and was impressed. Big but not that hard to handle. Might need a longer ride. Have any of you any experience of one and what is your opinion. Are they thirsty?. This one is a 2010 so is the fuel injection and six gears. Didn’t get to go fast enough to use sixth.  Pat.

RC166

Had carb Vara new in 2002, used it mainly for touring all over Europe, sometimes with pillion. Brill bike, very comfy for rider and pillion with a nice turn of speed when needed with that V twin engine. Super reliable, no probs at all. Sold it after 26k miles and it was still on original chain, with Scott oiler. 

About 45 mpg on mine, but later fuel inj and the 6th gear will give you more.

Very underrated bike, bit top heavy with full tank of fuel. A lot of bike for the money if you can find a good un’.

embee
54 minutes ago, Pat murphy said:

... 1000 varadero .... Are they thirsty?. 

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/xl1000va_varadero

45-47mpg imperial looks about right typically

Varadero1000.jpg.5c57bcc9a72773b6ac793b70967ef500.jpg

Chris750

Still got my 05 Varadero although it's been laid up since getting the CRF1000. Regularly got 200 miles to the tank touring, very planted bike if a bit top heavy. The only real thing that can be a problem is the joint between rear downpipe and collector leaking, quite fiddly to do. 

kayz1

What's been said above, loved my old girl.. Has anybody told how top heavy they are when the tank is full?:muttley:

Lyn.

• Like 1

gonzo

After my st 1100 got to heavy for me , i did think a varadero might be a replacement ,.However after a couple of test rides i thought it was also to heavy,   I fininshed up with a 700 trany, We could still tour europe on it 2  up and with a full set,   always thought the varadero was a cracking bike, !

• Like 1

alhendo1

One of my work colleagues has one...he loves it....all day comfortable. ..40/45 mpg....he's had a few different bikes and says it's really smooth/powerful and okay weight wise on the move but a heavy beast to shift around at walking pace....he did mention it being top heavy with a full tank but didn't think it was a biggy....

• Like 1

Steveb2418

See quite a few on the road here in Russia , but not at this time of year :-)   Must be ideal in this terrain and with fuel at 50p a litre the thirst isn’t really an issue . I rode one once and liked it , but my legs are just a bit too short sadly . 

Ignatius

Had baby vara and used to 80 mpg. Very reliable and easy maintenance. Nobody believed its 125cc, looks too big. Very well accommodated on A2 in coping with lorries and wind while doing 70mph easily without much pressure on the engine. But the regulator/rectifier is a problem on them. Had to change twice in 20000 miles.

Mikdent

I had a carbed Vara before buying the X.

Very comfy bike, but not that economical, well not compared to the NC range, you may go far on a single tank but that's because it as a massive tank, the same miles will cost you almost double that of an NC. I'd fill up on about £30 with the Vara, £15 tops for the X, and yet get the same mileage on the same roads doing the same thing. 

The seat height ain't too high but it's wide, which reduces the length of your leg, im the best part of 6' and I struggled with it, although I Greenlaned with such a behemoth, I never dropped it,  but came very close quite a few times. 

Both on or off road you have to be very aware of where you stop and put a foot down, gravel car parks, manhole covers and cambers spring to mind as the biggest offenders. Kerbs can be your friend though. :niceone:

My X felt just like a 3/4 version of the Vara, which with a bad back (that's got worse) was perfect for me.

Oh, and it's VERY top heavy. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1