Sign in to follow this  
Rocker66

Great news on Sue's bike

Rocker66
20 minutes ago, KingJames said:

The CB650R?  It has something for sure.  Bit for the millennials though.

Why would you think that. Sue is coming up for 71 and she loves that style of bike and can still use it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Andy m

The style, it's a bit too Optimus Prime for me for sure,  but you can't see it when you are riding so it wouldn't stop me. 

Andy

PoppetM

No...it’s utterly gorgeous... I love those four pipes (yes I am not technical). Too much cleaning for my needs, but one day.....possibly!

• Like 1

KingJames
37 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Why would you think that. Sue is coming up for 71 and she loves that style of bike and can still use it.

A reaction to the way Honda are marketing it on their website, they seem to be selling the equipment / cockpit (verging on entertainment and bling) rather than this will be a cracking bike to have and ride.  Maybe I spend too much time in Shoreditch.

• Haha 2

KingJames

What I don't get is how do Honda manage to create such a bike for that price tag and yet the NC is so comparatively equipped poorly.  

Ciaran1602
16 minutes ago, KingJames said:

What I don't get is how do Honda manage to create such a bike for that price tag and yet the NC is so comparatively equipped poorly.  

Covering development costs on the DCT perhaps?

KingJames

Yeah I thought that might be the case.  The DCT is about 800 quid more expensive and very popular so I would be surprised if they penalised the whole model range for that as they sell a lot of them globally and still have a USP there.  Bearing in mind the suspension on the NC is a widely shared criticism and compare it with the kit on the CBs at a lower price point.

Rocker66
40 minutes ago, KingJames said:

Probably because the engine has evolved from previous models over the years whilst the NC was a brand new concept..

• Like 1

KingJames

Thought it came from the Honda Jazz but I hear your point, it is solely on the NC range of bikes I take it.  

PoppetM
7 minutes ago, KingJames said:

Thought it came from the Honda Jazz but I hear your point, it is solely on the NC range of bikes I take it.  

It is half a Jazz engine:yes: and presumably takes a bit of fiddling to get into a bike frame...

• Haha 1

Tex
1 minute ago, PoppetM said:

It is half a Jazz engine:yes: and presumably takes a bit of fiddling to get into a bike frame...

And the remaining half they throw away adds to the costs.. 

• Haha 4

KingJames

If only there was another option...

• Haha 1

Rocker66
28 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

As discussed before it’s not actually half a Jazz engine but uses a lot of Jazz technology.

PoppetM
6 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

As discussed before it’s not actually half a Jazz engine but uses a lot of Jazz technology.

Oops, apologies! Knew it was something like that....

Rocker66
12 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Oops, apologies! Knew it was something like that....

The half a Jazz engine quote apparently came from the mis translation of a comment by a Japanese engineer. It is often repeated and has even appeared in the motorcycle press so no need for you to apologise.

• Like 1

kayz1

I saw one today at C/Bay Honda, even had a sit on it.........Very nice in-deed:niceone:

• Like 1

PoppetM

I had a look at one in Chiswick this morning, beautiful blue!

• Like 1

kayz1
On 1/12/2019 at 14:11, Ciaran1602 said:

Covering development costs on the DCT perhaps?

I am not sure that is the case Ciaran as we were not the first to get the DCT gearbox, been used in farm quads a few years.

So i would think they had been well tested by the time they fitted them to the NC's plus i think Mr Honda will have had a big

lump of the development cost back from the EU alone in farm subs:muttley:

Ciaran1602
Just now, kayz1 said:

I am not sure that is the case Ciaran as we were not the first to get the DCT gearbox, been used in farm quads a few years.

So i would think they had been well tested by the time they fitted them to the NC's plus i think Mr Honda will have had a big

lump of the development cost back from the EU alone in farm subs:muttley:

I find myself educated, I had no idea quads had running gear that complicated.

Perhaps its just cynical marketing ploys by Honda. They've cornered a market in "diesel like" commuter bikes and the automatic bikes and so feel they can charge a premium. Who knows? All I know is I struggle to find a bike as all round practical as the NC that is still a motorbike...

Tex
On 12/01/2019 at 13:54, KingJames said:

Partly explained by the costs from the different factories. The NC is built in Japan and the 650 in Thailand. 

baben
On 1/11/2019 at 20:17, Rocker66 said:

I will just have to post Sues opinion on how it rides as I will not be insured for it. There is also the fact that the foot rests are quite rearward and raised which I would find uncomfortable but which Sue likes having had rear sets on previous bikes.

I am building a mental picture of Sue. I think she sounds quite a gal. Lucky Rocker.:flowers:

• Like 2

Rocker66
7 minutes ago, baben said:

I am building a mental picture of Sue. I think she sounds quite a gal. Lucky Rocker.:flowers:

I thought that when I first met her 56 years ago. For me it really was love at first sight. What a year 1963 was for me not only meeting Sue but getting  my first bike. The latter leading to the former.

• Like 2

renners

wasnt late December back in 63 was it? :D

• Haha 3

Rocker66
1 minute ago, renners said:

wasnt late December back in 63 was it? :D

I don’t get the relevance of your question. However I got the bike on the road for the first time on my 16th Birthday in February and met Sue a few months later..

renners

Four seasons DEC 63, thats when he met the girl.

• Like 1