Iron horse

Fuel gauge issue

Iron horse

Noticed that my fuel gauge doesn't always register the top bar when full. The fuel sender seems to be built into the pump on the bottom of the tank. Anyone had experience of fixing this issue?

Scootabout

I've had the top bar disappear quickly a number of times, ie well before it should have done. It seems to have cured itself, at least for the time being. ISTR it happened in the summer - maybe a heat issue? 

Iron horse

Yeah it seems to come and go. I think I will leave it well alone. I don't rely on it any as I use the trip. Looks like a right pain to strip down too!

Defender

Oddly enough, mine has just started doing it, filled it right up as usual, but the last bar didn't come on as usual.

The final/top bar did come on briefly a couple of times, but soon went out again.

I'm keeping a track of the mileage as I know round about what mileage it normally drops down to the next block.

I might try disconnecting the battery for a while if it continues to do it after the next fill up.

Mr Toad
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Defender said:

Oddly enough, mine has just started doing it, filled it right up as usual, but the last bar didn't come on as usual.

The final/top bar did come on briefly a couple of times, but soon went out again.

I'm keeping a track of the mileage as I know round about what mileage it normally drops down to the next block.

I might try disconnecting the battery for a while if it continues to do it after the next fill up.

Good to have you back my friend. :) 

I never rated the fuel gauge on my NC and I had exactly the opposite problem. When I filled the tank the gauge would show all the bars and it would stay like that for a long time then the bars would start to disappear very quickly.

There was nothing even vaguely linear or useful about it so I used one of the trip counters to keep an eye on fuel, I used to get 200 miles give or take from a tankful. As far as I was concerned the fuel gauge was just a waste of dash space.

Contrast that with the current BMW where there are eight bars on the fuel gauge and each bar represents about 30 miles and is an accurate representation of what's in the tank.

Edited by Mr Toad
  • Like 1

embee
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 07:17, Iron horse said:

Yeah it seems to come and go. I think I will leave it well alone. I don't rely on it any as I use the trip. Looks like a right pain to strip down too!

Sorry to be late to the party, but yes, I have this on my 700 Integra. It is only occasionally, but the top bar just doesn't light up (black out?) even when filled as high as I dare.

I am guessing it's just the vagaries of the sensor build, which is the conventional automotive float-on-an-arm device with a resistance track on a board.

It could be that there is a slight increase in resistance somewhere in the loom, there is a connector for the tank innards just down at the bottom left side which at some point I must have a fiddle with to see if it's still clean. I'm not sure whether the resistance goes higher or lower when the float rises. While it still gives a reliable low reading I don't lose sleep over it.

I have contemplated seeing if it could be re-calibrated at all using external resistors at the connector, but haven't worked up the enthusiasm yet. I don't like how the low flashing bar begins a bit soon, with something like 3 lts remaining (the 700 doesn't have the countdown fuel computer function of the 750, you just get a flashing bar with no other clue of how much of the 3 lts is left apart from making a mental note of mileage when it started.)

• Like 2

Defender
12 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Good to have you back my friend. :) 

I never rated the fuel gauge on my NC and I had exactly the opposite problem. When I filled the tank the gauge would show all the bars and it would stay like that for a long time then the bars would start to disappear very quickly.

There was nothing even vaguely linear or useful about it so I used one of the trip counters to keep an eye on fuel, I used to get 200 miles give or take from a tankful. As far as I was concerned the fuel gauge was just a waste of dash space.

Contrast that with the current BMW where there are eight bars on the fuel gauge and each bar represents about 30 miles and is an accurate representation of what's in the tank.

Hi Mason, thank you, it's good to be back:ahappy:.

My BMW G310R has a bit of a delay on the fuel gauge registering a full tank, it's also far more linear than the NC' too, but until now the NC' has always gone full straight away.

Yes I agree about non linearity of the NC's fuel gauge, it's partly due to the shape of the tank, mine typically goes down to the last flashing bar at about 190 miles on my typical commuting run, sometimes it can be over the 200 mile mark.

I too use the trip meter , in conjunction with fuel gauge to track tank range, 'A' for the tank from full and 'B' for the last flashing block.

Hopefully we can catch up sometime?

• Like 1

Mr Toad
2 hours ago, Defender said:

Hi Mason, thank you, it's good to be back:ahappy:.

Hopefully we can catch up sometime?

Yes, that would be great.

I'm sure the opportunity will present itself before too long, the summer has just begun. :) 

• Like 1