PoppetM

Bike Vs Scooter

PoppetM

Just thinking out loud...

What do I use my bike for? Commuting and social rides.

What are my needs: long service intervals, quick acceleration, weather protection, comfortable doing 70ish (yes officer) storage, long tank range, decent MPG. 

My hates: chain maintenance! At 32,000 it was due it’s fourth chain despite me oiling frequently and then adding an oiler. 

Options:

Another S

Beverley 350 (12,400 service interval with oil change at 6,400 which am sure even I can master under Trisaki’s tuition...)

Only £1500 price between the two. 

Love the the look of both ( having both is a no no). They both do what I need them to do. Beverley is faster and smaller then the Forza, not as quick as S but would be enough to nip out of trouble at the lights. 

Would miss the Biker image I have acquired, the look of disbelief that the suited blonde in four inch heels rides a motorcycle but I can deal with that. 

Wondering if just for this short  “London” stage of my life whether to plumb for scoot. I have my full bike licence, I can always get another bike at any time.

Had worried about theftability but it has discs front and rear so can be locked the same way I did with the S. 

Food for thought.... 

• Like 5

Tex

Sam, I had the same thought (but didn’t like to bring it up because it’s very easy for some old buzzard to sit at the fireside saying “You need to do this, that or the other”). But, seeing as you mentioned it, I think you really do need to look closely at all the available options, including, possibly, the latest Forza? 

I would be drawn towards a scooter in your position, I really would. :niceone:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

trisaki

Sit your bum on a few , get the feel , you will soon find something that feels 'right '

• Like 3

Tex

Only downside of modern scooters is that the huge underseat storage areas (very desirable) create quite tall seats (a lot less desirable!). Mark is ‘bang on’ when he suggests trying a few out for size. I will be fascinated by your findings. :) 

Ciaran1602

I have to admit, I think your usage would definitely suit a high powered scooter. The Beverly 350 is just about everywhere throughout Europe for good reason.

Would the XMAX 400 be an option given it's got a bit of a power edge on both the Beverly and a Forza 300? I think the service intervals are 6k though, not sure if that's a dealbreaker.

KingJames

I know Zero are announcing a new street model in February, worth keeping an eye out for it IMO.  Will be pricey but possibly affordable on finance.  Minimal maintenance.

PoppetM
6 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I have to admit, I think your usage would definitely suit a high powered scooter. The Beverly 350 is just about everywhere throughout Europe for good reason.

Would the XMAX 400 be an option given it's got a bit of a power edge on both the Beverly and a Forza 300? I think the service intervals are 6k though, not sure if that's a dealbreaker.

When I first passed my test I sat on the 400, felt like a boat. Far too big, controls felt awful (but I am like that with all Yamas). 

Service intervals are really important, I am pushing on 75 miles a day! 

Just checking insurance on the two. I did laugh with the accident options “ with third party, with wall or with roundabout” :dielaugh:

I have Piaggio before, it was a bad Vespa unfortunately, but I know a dealer I can get it to and they were great when I visited weekly, usually angrily....

• Haha 1

PoppetM
19 minutes ago, Tex said:

Only downside of modern scooters is that the huge underseat storage areas (very desirable) create quite tall seats (a lot less desirable!). Mark is ‘bang on’ when he suggests trying a few out for size. I will be fascinated by your findings. :) 

I was chatting with Sean earlier... I never flat footed the Vespa, it is the same height. I mastered the art of the seat shuffle when slowing down ready to pop an ankle out of my apron (still got it!). Could never get both feet down. Ok I recall getting a lot of bruising to my left calf as I often knocked the kickboards. 

Sure you don’t want to come with me? I spot a nice GTS... with us and Sean we could be the Scooterist Chapter of the Forum.

Please note I will get back on a motorcycle, I have not given up my dream of a Triumph. I love the look of the Rebel, it is right up my street and as Rocker said, I would comfortably flat foot it easily, but the reviews it is lacking in power which would be a pain. 

Ciaran1602

I found the insurance comparison when I considered a Forza 300 was laughable. I live about 5 minutes from the Mayflower theatre, properly dead centre southampton and the bike lives in an unsecure but secluded little off-road parking point. The Forza was actually more expensive to insure than the NC750X. It was more money than I'm currently paying for my car. I can only assume they consider it a theft risk and target.

I was about to suggest the CB500F or the like but I suppose for the practicality you might as well just go with a NC750...

I don't suppose theres anything from other manufacturers that tickle your tastebuds? The city is awash with MT07s at the moment.

• Like 1

Ciaran1602
2 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

I was chatting with Sean earlier... I never flat footed the Vespa, it is the same height. I mastered the art of the seat shuffle when slowing down ready to pop an ankle out of my apron (still got it!). Could never get both feet down. Ok I recall getting a lot of bruising to my left calf as I often knocked the kickboards. 

Sure you don’t want to come with me? I spot a nice GTS... with us and Sean we could be the Scooterist Chapter of the Forum.

Please note I will get back on a motorcycle, I have not given up my dream of a Triumph. I love the look of the Rebel, it is right up my street and as Rocker said, I would comfortably flat foot it easily, but the reviews it is lacking in power which would be a pain. 

Have you looked at the Kawasaki Vulcan S? It's got the Parallel twin I believe from an Z650 making 61hp and doesn't look too big. Service intervals at 7500 which I believe is greater than the NCs? I'd have to dig the manual out to know the service intervals on it, I do so few miles I might as well not bother servicing it!

gonzo

I saw a beverly in a dealers a few weeks ago , a very smart scooter, ! I have said for a long time if i lived in a town or a city i would definitely have a scooter, you only have to look in europe to see how many people use them, ! from 15 year old to grannys . !! they just make so much sence, There nothing like the old school scoots (thankfully) , Even the 125s will do 65/70 .As soon as we sell our house and move , a scoot (kymco) will keep the x company.  A new kymco website will be up and running by the 17th jan..Its good to see you thinking about your next 2 wheels , just goes to show your a biker for life , there is no cure ! welcome to the brotherhood sister. !!  :ahappy:

• Like 1

PoppetM
Just now, Ciaran1602 said:

Have you looked at the Kawasaki Vulcan S? It's got the Parallel twin I believe from an Z650 making 61hp and doesn't look too big. Service intervals at 7500 which I believe is greater than the NCs? I'd have to dig the manual out to know the service intervals on it, I do so few miles I might as well not bother servicing it!

NC and Forza are both 8,000 service intervals...

i have just had the quotes through. For a non fault claim to reinsure another S £700! That may have put paid to that idea...

pjm

Might be worth giving an SH 300 a whirl. Would suit your needs down to the ground with a top box.

• Like 3

Ciaran1602
2 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

NC and Forza are both 8,000 service intervals...

i have just had the quotes through. For a non fault claim to reinsure another S £700! That may have put paid to that idea...

Probably why mine costs a fortune, I had a fault car accident in 2014. I had bought a newer car which was shall we say quite a bit more powerful than my old one and hadn't quite got used to it. I very nearly managed to stop but sadly did punt the Fiesta in front of me. It had a bent tow bar and a small crack in its plastic bumper, mine had a nice healthy crack in the bumper (VW back then used metal bumpers on the Ibiza otherwise It'd probably have been knackered via the tow bar).

Been paying for it ever bloody since. Off the record next month meaning prior to insurance time!

Have a check on a Rebel, go on ;)

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Confused 1

PoppetM
8 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Have a check on a Rebel, go on ;)

£310... :yes:

I paid £244 to insure the NC last summer so that isn’t bad...

Edited by PoppetM

Ciaran1602
1 minute ago, PoppetM said:

£310... :yes:

And it seems they've started doing some practical add ons for storage and what not from Givi.

I'd have to ride my dad's one again to give you a fairer impression of what it's like. I couldn't get comfortable on it which will rather have coloured my opinion but I'm sure Andy will confirm, as I will from my own CB, the little 500s are willing buggers. What they lack in outright power they more than make up for in zeal.

• Thanks 1

PoppetM

Will book a test ride on a Rebel, I believe Chiswick have one they are trying to sell... and I have found a Beverley at £4,400 so will go try that too. 

Looks like I will be joining the Non NC Owners club :dielaugh:

• Haha 4

Tex

On YouTube there’s a video of a journalist riding a Rebel and a fellow journalist on an Affy Twin can’t get away from him on the twisty bits.. I will dig it out.

But I still think a scooter (SH300i, like Peter says) world be a better tool.

Edit:

Hmm,overall the video isn’t as enthusiastic as I remembered! ;) 

Edited by Tex
  • Like 1

Tex

We’re a growing family! :) 

• Haha 1

Rocker66

Will book a test ride on a Rebel, I believe Chiswick have one they are trying to sell... and I have found a Beverley at £4,400 so will go try that too. 

I found the Rebel’s performance adequate even on the A2  and the riding position comfortable even though Im sure  that I weigh more and am far less aerodynamic than you. No harm in giving it a try.

• Like 1

PoppetM
3 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I found the Rebel’s performance adequate even on the A2  and the riding position comfortable even though Im sure  that I weigh more and am far less aerodynamic than you. No harm in giving it a try.

Will give it a shot, along with SH300i and Beverley 350 sport tourer. The SH300i is £350 to insure, need to check service interval...

Spindizzy

Scoot versus motorbike is like practical transport versus passion. Its not a better/worse type of thing.

Because I already had a small scooter I didnt use the SH300i much. So swapped it for another NCS. (FYI SH300i service intervals same as the NC including valves)

If its just about practical transport and not trying to look cool a scooter wins hands down. Massively improved weather protection, no chain, easy to keep clean, simple to ride and really good in tight gaps and around town, superb off the lights.

But a scooter is purely transport. If you want passion, pride, adventure and excitement or just going gooey eyed at the beauty of the machine before you then you need a motorbike.

Said it before, my 110c scooter is the single most useful two wheeled purchase I have ever made. The NCS is a toy and part of my denial I am getting older.

SH300i is good butneed to add top box and screen to be properly useful

Beverly comes with a short screen and has a few more farkles than the SH300i

TBH both are a good purchase. I would likely choose based on local servicing options. If its for London then maybe the SH300i as its keyless which might help stop the scrotes having it away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mister Paul
2 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Just thinking out loud...

What do I use my bike for? Commuting and social rides.

What are my needs: long service intervals, quick acceleration, weather protection, comfortable doing 70ish (yes officer) storage, long tank range, decent MPG. 

My hates: chain maintenance! At 32,000 it was due it’s fourth chain despite me oiling frequently and then adding an oiler. 

Options:

Another S

Beverley 350 (12,400 service interval with oil change at 6,400 which am sure even I can master under Trisaki’s tuition...)

Only £1500 price between the two. 

Love the the look of both ( having both is a no no). They both do what I need them to do. Beverley is faster and smaller then the Forza, not as quick as S but would be enough to nip out of trouble at the lights. 

Would miss the Biker image I have acquired, the look of disbelief that the suited blonde in four inch heels rides a motorcycle but I can deal with that. 

Wondering if just for this short  “London” stage of my life whether to plumb for scoot. I have my full bike licence, I can always get another bike at any time.

Had worried about theftability but it has discs front and rear so can be locked the same way I did with the S. 

Food for thought.... 

SH300i. I did a short trip from Bristol to France on mine this year. Sits at 80 on the motorway with escape room. It's fast, cheap, reliable and the King of the city filterers. Its the biggest selling scooter in Italy which is probably all you need to know. 

I had the last model Forza. It was slower, more incomfortable and more bloated than the SH. 

Edited by Mister Paul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mister Paul

.... And I'm a Jekyl and Hyde 2-wheeler:

PX125>

Vision>

Versys>

Forza>

CB500X>

SH300i>

CB500X.... 

• Haha 1

PoppetM

The hire bike has landed. An S in silver and black with black wheels.

Unfortunately I damaged my shoulder manoeuvring it on the drive again, and Andy balked at the t&cs which led to another call. It’s a credit agreement so they take the risk in giving it to me and accept they will not recover their costs if the other side fail to pay. It is their fault for believing me in the first place apparently unless I am fraudently making a claim!