PoppetM

Bike Vs Scooter

Ciaran1602

Yeah, have to agree not to agree with the reviewer on that. I mean sure it vibrates more than an inline 4 will but I find it a perfectly well mannered twin.

• Thanks 2

PoppetM
2 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I don’t know where he got the thing about vibration from as I didn’t find that it vibrated anymore than any Twin including my NC.. certainly neither the Rebel or any of my other CB500s gave me numb hands or feet at any speed.

Hmm in that case....

I find everyone’s reviews helpful, I have ridden 1 Vespa LX 125, 1 Suzuki Gladious, 1NCS and 1Kwak Ninja 300. 

For comfort to have again... Gladious, NC and Vespa. 

reliability Gladious and NC

Looks all four....

easy to get to garage to service Vespa and NC. 

Was grateful for loan of the Ninja, but oh god it was uncomfortable, and I need comfort!

oh decisions decisions....

Ciaran1602

Left field thought, would a BMW F800 be in the mix? Either the naked or the faired versions. Fuelly suggests they're in the 50mpg with a 15L fuel tank you could probably get to 200 miles a tank. Belt drive rather than chain drive, even the faired GT model is only an 800mm seat.

• Haha 1

Tonyj

Bike . There you go

• Haha 3

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, Tonyj said:

Bike . There you go

I really wish that you would give a definitive answer instead of sitting on the fence😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tonyj
2 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I really wish that you would give a definitive answer instead of sitting on the fence😀😀

Sorry rocker I forgot Sams a girl and it should have read “ bike with a basket “ :0)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Trev

The Rebel looks nice in a modern bike customy sort of way, deffo worth a try IMO.

Reading through the posts you've raised various concerns. 'would likes' and must haves and I've tried to pull them together and come up with what I think may be ideal. You raised:

lowish but comfy seat 

more performance than the Rebel

plenty of plastic to protect you from the elements

smooth, vibration free motor

light weight

decent size fuel tank

would quite like to still have the element of surprise about what you ride

affordable insurance

I think I've come up with a bike that's got all the above covered and has the added bonuses of being very affordable and (very important given your London commute & parking) not very desirable. 

Edited by Trev
  • Like 1

Mister Paul
22 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Small fuel tank 

Yeah, it's about 160 miles between fill-ups.

• Sad 1

Trev

As an extra bonus I've even got one you can borrow for a few weeks to make double sure it's perfect for you  :thumbsup:

gixxerthou.jpg.0fbc7afbed0909451521e99bc964c71d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

Rocker66
34 minutes ago, Tonyj said:

Sorry rocker I forgot Sams a girl and it should have read “ bike with a basket “ :0)

Your braver man than I am with that comment😀😀

• Haha 3

Andy m

Seats can be padded. They are like mudguards and mirrors, we alway need to fix what some art school lovie turned into a sculpture. Tank range is very difficult to fix . 

I never believe journalists on fuel consumption. They don't buy petrol and after a tank full they give the bike back. They can do the whole ride in third and not care. 

Dare I add the CB500's to the mix? A bit lighter than the NC, so the F feels like it has more go. The range is close to 300 miles and the seat is a decent starting point. It is no taller than the NC and probably narrower, so with less weight certainly feels easier. The R version is faired. I really don't see why lack of performance is listed on reviews, except to justify bigger bikes. The 500's will hit 100 mph, cruise at 85, do wheelies and I'm yet to find a car they can't out drag. You have to use the gearbox more for the extreme stuff, but it's a Honda so the clutch is only for stopping. Unless you are 20 stone it's just a change of riding style in the same way the NC is diesel like. 

Andy

• Like 6

PoppetM
11 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

only an 800mm seat.

Only?! It comes with a step ladder doesn’t it?!

PoppetM
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Dare I add the CB500's to the mix? A bit lighter than the NC, so the F feels like it has more go. The range is close to 300 miles and the seat is a decent starting point. It is no taller than the NC and probably narrower, so with less weight certainly feels easier. The R version is faired. I really don't see why lack of performance is listed on reviews, except to justify bigger bikes. The 500's will hit 100 mph, cruise at 85, do wheelies and I'm yet to find a car they can't out drag. You have to use the gearbox more for the extreme stuff, but it's a Honda so the clutch is only for stopping. Unless you are 20 stone it's just a change of riding style in the same way the NC is diesel like. 

Andy

I have run it through the insurance, it is a stretch, but a possibility. The 650 range however are way out on insurance quote (thought I may as well plumb those in).

Being taken down to Chichester (Helmet City) then a perch on a few bikes on the way back and then will hop on the loan bike for a tootle.... 

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Seats can be padded. They are like mudguards and mirrors, we alway need to fix what some art school lovie turned into a sculpture. Tank range is very difficult to fix . 

I never believe journalists on fuel consumption. They don't buy petrol and after a tank full they give the bike back. They can do the whole ride in third and not care. 

Andy

I would certainly recommend the CB500F .slightly lower seat height than the NC750S  and narrower. Sue enjoyed hers and I really liked my two X versions. Performance very similar to the NC.

Edited by Rocker66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ciaran1602
23 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Only?! It comes with a step ladder doesn’t it?!

Fair cop, again I failed to adjust my perspective to suit. I can just about manage up to an 830mm if it’s narrow so would find and 800mm pretty acceptable, apologies. 

Cant really say what hasn’t been said by Andy On the 500s. I’ve argued a couple of times on this forum I reckon in the real world their just as flexible and rapid as the NC is you just have to work them. NCs have that lovely diesel like character of sort of leaving it in a gear and just twisting the throttle, it’ll probably manage. The CB is still very forgiving. I never got the economy he mentions but mine was an X, did have panniers/top box and I rode it like I stole it because, frankly, it was too fun not too. You know how it’s extremely satisfying driving a little tiny car like an absolute loon cause you’re consciously aware you’re using all the performance on offer. Same sort of story here. 

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 4

Spindizzy

I had a 500 as a courtesy bike. The suspension is better and the gearbox slicker than an NC. It’s lighter to flick about albeit to get it to go I just went in to 2 stroke mode and ring it’s neck to the redline.  Definitely a viable alternative. 

Edited by Spindizzy
  • Like 4

Rocker66
20 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

I had a 500 as a courtesy bike. The suspension is better and the gearbox slicker than an NC. It’s lighter to flick about albeit to get it to go I just went in to 2 stroke mode and ring it’s neck to the redline.  Definitely a viable alternative. 

As I have posted previously I personally found the CB to be more fun than the NC. There is a new version being launched and should be in the dealers at the end of January. Might be some good deals on the current model.

Edited by Rocker66
  • Like 3

macamx

Dead easy this, low seat, decent performance, good weather protection and excellent storage, I give you the Suzuki Burgman 400, Ta Da.  Oh wait a minute, service intervals @ 3,500 and quite expensive, forget that. Ah Sh300, superb functionality but seat too high and come on look at it. Forza 300, little bit on the tall side but good intervals and its a Honda. This is getting a bit tedious. Got it, Triumph Street Twin, decent performance (especially the 2019’s) heritage (perceived), lovely build quality, ah but it's got a chain. No problem, stick on a chain oiler, er not a great idea as the chain is on the opposite side to convention meaning that when on the side stand any drips will go straight on to the tyre plus @ a starting price of £8,100 it’s getting a bit tasty.

Drum roll-------- The delightful Honda 500 family, round of applause.

I am a huge fan of this platform in all its forms for a road bike, up until the latest version I would have recommended the “X” version without hesitation but the new one’s have had the seat height bumped up but let's see what it's like when I try it for real. If it were purely a leisure bike the Rebel would be a strong contender. However for the usage specification that you have laid out the “F” configuration would seem to be the obvious choice. Yes, there are compromises but as several contributors on here will tell you after vast expense and hand wringing, there is no such thing as the perfect bike.

Geoff.

• Like 3

Tex

46 minutes ago, macamx said:

Yes, there are compromises but as several contributors on here will tell you after vast expense and hand wringing, there is no such thing as the perfect bike.

Geoff.

“Vast expense and hand wringing”? You’re playing my song.. :D 

CB500? Bloody nice bike - always said so. The only thing the Rebel has going for it (in my opinion, obviously) is a low seat height. The rest of it is ‘meh’. Sorry.

CB500F? A bit small for my 6’4” bulk, but I would have one in a heartbeat. Proper motorcycle, proper Honda. Affordable, durable and fun. Shame about the chain, but, well..

• Like 4

horobags

hi Sam, an interesting topic. Ive gone from a 750S to a forza 300 , they are two totally different machines. The Forza is fast enough for UK roads, enough power for overtakes,   it has decent weather protection and luggage capacity under the seat, and does 80 mpg plus. Is it fun to ride??  I think so.

On a summers day on twisty B roads Im sure I will miss the 750S, a bike does handle better and the extra power is nice. 

I think though that the overall package that the Forza offers ticks more boxes than the 750S though, FOR ME, and what I want out of 2 wheels.

We are all different, and you need to weigh up your needs weather it be commute, tour, sunday fun, and also running costs, before you decide whats best for you.Take in all our advice, but you decide what comes next. Hope you get sorted soon.

• Like 4

Rocker66

In my opinion Sam you now have the perfect excuse to try out as many bikes/scooters as you can then decide which you really fancy.

• Like 4

PoppetM

Right Chiswick, helpful as always and assisted me on and off (left shoulder, cant grab the handlebar) the Forza, the SH300i and the CB500f.

CB500f feels like home, but oh god the nooks and crannies around naked engine means hours of cleaning.

SH300i bigger then I thought thinking of parking but I could reach the ground.

Forza better then it was last time I sat on it still quite wide. 

They have all three available for demo so when feeling up to it I will spend a Saturday morning having a bimble. 

Now I am off to look at a new jacket...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tex

Zak likes it (CB500F)..

and, just as a ‘wild card’, how about the SV650? Brilliant value.. 

• Like 1