PoppetM

Bike Vs Scooter

Tex

2 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Heart says CB500f, practically says a scoot... argh. 

I bought a new jacket to suit both just incase :dielaugh:

Sorry? You bought two jackets? :D Or you bought one that will be equally usable on both?  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andy m

Be glad the Rebel is third choice, race leathers with tassels on the sleeves was going to be so Evel Kneivel. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Trev
21 minutes ago, Tex said:

Sorry? You bought two jackets? :D Or you bought one that will be equally usable on both?  ;) 

You need different jackets now for different bikes, who, what, when, where?  There's me having one for Winter, one for Summer and one with legs dangling from it for when I ride a 'proper bike' :whistle:

You'll be telling next that I should have a helmet that matches my bike, that would make me a helmet 

Edited by Trev
  • Haha 5

Ciaran1602

Since you’re having to pay for the privilege of this claim for however long in the future, I would rip the sods for every penny your can. Your kit is definitely not safe anymore and requires replacement of course :angel:

• Like 1

Spindizzy
31 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Since you’re having to pay for the privilege of this claim for however long in the future, I would rip the sods for every penny your can. Your kit is definitely not safe anymore and requires replacement of course :angel:

Lets not forget the extra physio and Chiropractor needed on that shoulder.  Helmet took a whack so that needs replacing. 

• Like 1

macamx

Plus the anxiety, nightmares and panic attack’s.

Geoff.

Forgot the chronic paranoia, inducing devastating acrophobia.

Edited by macamx
  • Like 1

poldark

Additional travel costs (over normal bike costs), loss of pay (sick days), travel costs to & from medical appts, partner's loss of earnings having to look after you.

PoppetM

I am not that way inclined to go claiming for everything.if there was a rip then I would, but there wasn't. 

I managed to get the hire bike out for a pootle. Ok so I admit I acted like a loon when I reached an empty stretch of road but hey I need to enjoy the 750cc engine while I can before it has been taken off me :angel: No fear, no wobbles, I just tested the brakes a few times then gave it some beans. Oh it was good!!!!! I love those Pirbright Bends. 

I needed a new jacket anyway so I just treated myself to a nice RST touring jacket. Sean what spray did you use on yours?

We have sat down with measurements, pros, cons and costs. I didnt share the CB dirt photos with Andy or he would have nightmares.

Everything appears to be pointing at a Forza. I feel I can go from bike to maxi scoot, but I think going to a moped shaped SH300i is a step too far for me!

The Forza is actually shorter in length and narrower then the S which surprised me, it looks so big. 

So when I leave my job in the city in a year or so time and my insurance drops again.... mine is an S please.

• Like 6

Spindizzy
8 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

I needed a new jacket anyway so I just treated myself to a nice RST touring jacket. Sean what spray did you use on yours?

I used Fabsil. Water beads off the jacket and trousers now.

Muc-Off also do a Fabric Protect spray.

Its probably all much the same, some sort of silicone I expect.

Just hung it over a chair in the garden and went mad 

• Like 1

Scootabout

How about a nice little 530 cc scoot? :)

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/products/scooters/sport/tmax-dx/

(I did use to have a Mk 1, and it was a good bike, but I'd be first to agree that 11 grand plus is a hell of a lot of money for a scoot, and the seat height would be too high for you..)

horobags
24 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

I am not that way inclined to go claiming for everything.if there was a rip then I would, but there wasn't. 

I managed to get the hire bike out for a pootle. Ok so I admit I acted like a loon when I reached an empty stretch of road but hey I need to enjoy the 750cc engine while I can before it has been taken off me :angel: No fear, no wobbles, I just tested the brakes a few times then gave it some beans. Oh it was good!!!!! I love those Pirbright Bends. 

We have sat down with measurements, pros, cons and costs. I didnt share the CB dirt photos with Andy or he would have nightmares.

Everything appears to be pointing at a Forza. I feel I can go from bike to maxi scoot, but I think going to a moped shaped SH300i is a step too far for me!

The Forza is actually shorter in length and narrower then the S which surprised me, it looks so big. 

So when I leave my job in the city in a year or so time and my insurance drops again.... mine is an S please.

I'm not that way inclined either, insurance is expensive, if we all go OTT on claims it will be even more expensive.

I dont think you will be dissapointed with a Forza, once you get over the stereotypical 'bike to scooter' psychology. Maybe you'll never look at a nc750S again.:lol:

• Like 1

PoppetM

And I am struggling with that! Will come down to a test ride.

I am sure I will change back and forth a hundred times before I part with the cash but Andy reminds me that my needs have changed, it needs to be affordable. Another option is scrap the bike completely and get a season ticket. And I do not want to do that! 

• Sigh 1
  • Sad 2

sandalfarm

Virago  535 classic low seat 

• Like 1

Tex

1 hour ago, PoppetM said:

Another option is scrap the bike completely and get a season ticket. And I do not want to do that! 

We don’t want any of that talk on here please! No way is that a f***ing option. Don’t make me come up there young lady..

:D:D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

renners

I hope we're not putting all these options to the forum to vote on tomorrow or I'm off 😁😁😁

• Haha 3

Spindizzy
1 hour ago, PoppetM said:

Another option is scrap the bike completely and get a season ticket. And I do not want to do that! 

Going to look a bit stupid sitting on a train with crash helmet and new RST jacket.:D

Don't worry Simon. About as much chance of seeing Rocker on a Lambretta as Sam having a season ticket. It just ain't natural.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Tex

I (genuinely) regard the Forza and it’s equivalents as ‘advanced motorcycles’ rather than scooters. Scooters have little wheels and are brilliant in town, but a bit out of their depth on fast roads. The Forza types are much more motorcycle related in their performance and handling but with the added (huge!) advantage of weather protection, storage and fuss free final drive. Getting one over a naked bike isn’t any sort of ‘step down’. Not in my mind, anyway.

A year or so before you leave your job in the city? I know just the thing! Currently on a bench awaiting improvements to both power and brakes (and f*** the insurers!) :) 

D12734-BD-52-B0-4-A3-C-ADF6-EC13-EEF12-C

Edited by Tex
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Graham NZ

If chain maintenance is the main issue, maybe go for the belt conversion for your S?

MikeBike
3 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

If chain maintenance is the main issue, maybe go for the belt conversion for your S?

Or just fit an automatic oiler... 

Tex
4 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

There is no S. It’s been written off by a dopey car driver. This is the dilemma about a replacement. 

• Sad 2

dazznutts
12 hours ago, PoppetM said:

At the end of the day you'll choose whats right for yourself

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PoppetM

Got time to think.

I am guessing no pay out until the otherside agree, if they can get a translation out of Mr Idiot. My bike is still at Chiswick, 4D are not getting her till Wednesday then they have to assess twice as well. And they are playing telephone tag with my Witness then putting him on hold for 20 minutes at a time.

So guessing this will take months before I can shop (more time to save!)

Father in law suggested ringing the insurers and asking for quotes rather then online calculators.

Question: if I am not claiming on my insurance (no fault) is the policy ended? Or do I ring the same company and tell them I have a different bike? So my NCB will be intact?

dazznutts
2 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Got time to think.

I am guessing no pay out until the otherside agree, if they can get a translation out of Mr Idiot. My bike is still at Chiswick, 4D are not getting her till Wednesday then they have to assess twice as well. And they are playing telephone tag with my Witness then putting him on hold for 20 minutes at a time.

So guessing this will take months before I can shop (more time to save!)

Father in law suggested ringing the insurers and asking for quotes rather then online calculators.

Question: if I am not claiming on my insurance (no fault) is the policy ended? Or do I ring the same company and tell them I have a different bike? So my NCB will be intact?

Are you fully comp insurance if so your insurance should pay out in the first instance then claim it back from the third party - this is whats happened to mine and why i had my pay out in 3 weeks

PoppetM
2 minutes ago, dazznutts said:

Are you fully comp insurance if so your insurance should pay out in the first instance then claim it back from the third party - this is whats happened to mine and why i had my pay out in 3 weeks

I am fully comp but insurers passed it through to the accident management company, they don't "deal with motorcycle claims" (I don't get it either!)

dazznutts
Just now, PoppetM said:

I am fully comp but insurers passed it through to the accident management company, they don't "deal with motorcycle claims" (I don't get it either!)

in theory you should get a pay out after it is assessed - with my bike i explained damage over the phone and they deemed the bike as a total loss - the bike was collected from my home 2 days after accident by a salvage company and assessed by them the following week an engineer from the insurance company attended and agreed bike was a total loss and gave me a settlement figure i was able to hagle on the phone and get the figure up from £5000 to £5285 from date of accident to cheque arriving was 3 weeks 4 days (accident happened on a monday cheque through letter box on a friday)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1