PoppetM

Bike Vs Scooter

pjm

That was one of the reasons I advised to make your claim directly against the TP insurer. If 4D are messing your witness about I am happy to meet with him to obtain a Court compliant statement of truth. Just PM me the contact details and I will do it before they upset him and he decides to go away. Once you have that signed statement you will find the TP insurer will look to pay out. There is no ‘property’ or ownership of an independent witness so no issue with me getting a statement from him for you. Your policy will still be running and you can put a new bike on it. Provided you have not claimed against it for the total loss. 4D will want to slow this down as much as possible to extend your credit hire bike use as long as possible. The process should be to put you where you were before the incident and to compensate you for your bodily injury. It’s not about making out of it or screwing the insurers. That is a crazy idea that ends up with us paying the inflated bike premiums that we have to. 4D and the like are just out to slow it all down to make profit. I am not saying you want to profit from it but some of the knee jerk comments of other contributors are ridiculous. Let’s get you back on ,the road on a bike of your choosing and your injuries treated properly. 4D should have already referred you to a solicitor for your injuries and you should start chasing them to refer you to physio ASAP. I am happy to help out. You have my number.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

PoppetM
1 minute ago, dazznutts said:

in theory you should get a pay out after it is assessed - with my bike i explained damage over the phone and they deemed the bike as a total loss - the bike was collected from my home 2 days after accident by a salvage company and assessed by them the following week an engineer from the insurance company attended and agreed bike was a total loss and gave me a settlement figure i was able to hagle on the phone and get the figure up from £5000 to £5285 from date of accident to cheque arriving was 3 weeks 4 days (accident happened on a monday cheque through letter box on a friday)

I did tell them I had Hondas damage report but they werent interested in seeing it. I may attach it anyway. They wont be in a rush while I have their bike and they can charge him for it. (104 +VAT a day plus £60 a day storage for mine, glad I am not paying!)

Hoping for 3K...

That wasn't a bad turn around, although it will be over a week since the accident before they even collect Harriet.

pjm

4D are just an accident management company and not your ‘insurer’. If you have the witness holding the TP to blame you will have no need to claim on your policy so make sure that does not happen. 

• Like 2

PoppetM
7 minutes ago, pjm said:

4D are just an accident management company and not your ‘insurer’. If you have the witness holding the TP to blame you will have no need to claim on your policy so make sure that does not happen. 

Will do, and I gave Aviva 48 hours the 3rd party wasn't answering their calls so I thought screw this! They are supposed to call the witness today and he is aware of it as we spoke Saturday. If he messages me to say he cant get through I will ask if he will speak with you instead. 

Ok will give them a call for some quotes because regardless of blame and making no claims the calculators are hiking it up! When this happened before I was stung with 5 years of hiked premiums.

So when I insure my car I assume as it was a motorcycle accident on a separate policy I can tick no accidents in last 5 years? Correct? 

Not going down physio route, I managed to ride yesterday, I just need to keep it moving....

Edited by PoppetM

pjm

They will probably forget to call him today for one reason or another just to drag it out. Where is he based as I might be able to squeeze in getting to him today. Once the statement is obtained the pressure is off. Just don’t risk losing him. As to disclosure on insurance applications. The question is normally ‘Have you been involved in any accidents in the last 3 or 5 years?’ You must answer honestly or they could look to void your policy. You will have to answer yes but hopefully that no claim was made against my own policy and it was a non fault incident settled directly by the TP insurer.

• Like 1

Rocker66
19 minutes ago, dazznutts said:

in theory you should get a pay out after it is assessed - with my bike i explained damage over the phone and they deemed the bike as a total loss - the bike was collected from my home 2 days after accident by a salvage company and assessed by them the following week an engineer from the insurance company attended and agreed bike was a total loss and gave me a settlement figure i was able to hagle on the phone and get the figure up from £5000 to £5285 from date of accident to cheque arriving was 3 weeks 4 days (accident happened on a monday cheque through letter box on a friday)

That’s more or less what happened in my case. It was just my personal injury loss of wages and expenses claim that took months but obviously this was because they had to wait to see how well I recovered and the prognosis for the future.

pjm

That’s if you are claiming off of your own comprehensive policy. We all know that even a non fault claim still costs. Also if they pay out for a total loss the policy will be paid up and end. If she successfully pursued a claim against the TP insurers, without claiming on her own policy, then her policy will roll on and she can put another bike on it without penalty. Most policies work this way but can vary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

renners

The help and advice on this forum is top notch, great to see so many people assist in others moments of stress.

Feels good just to be part of the forum.

• Like 7

macamx

Yes the balance of concern but with a humorous approach is quite heartwarming.

Geoff.

• Like 3

Graham NZ

PoppetM

I feel for you and am interested to read the outcome with the insurance and what you get to replace your lost S.

• Thanks 1

dazznutts
11 hours ago, pjm said:

That’s if you are claiming off of your own comprehensive policy. We all know that even a non fault claim still costs. Also if they pay out for a total loss the policy will be paid up and end. If she successfully pursued a claim against the TP insurers, without claiming on her own policy, then her policy will roll on and she can put another bike on it without penalty. Most policies work this way but can vary. 

My policy rolled on to the point they paid out at that point i was given 30 days to reinsure a bike or the policy would be canceled on putting a change of bike on policy i didn't have to pay an admin charge just a change in cost as the MT-07 was dearer to insure than the CBR650

PoppetM
25 minutes ago, dazznutts said:

My policy rolled on to the point they paid out at that point i was given 30 days to reinsure a bike or the policy would be canceled on putting a change of bike on policy i didn't have to pay an admin charge just a change in cost as the MT-07 was dearer to insure than the CBR650

Hmmm. Was it much different?

dazznutts
8 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Hmmm. Was it much different?

£35 additional premium 

• Like 1

Rev Ken
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:06, Ciaran1602 said:

Left field thought, would a BMW F800 be in the mix? Either the naked or the faired versions. Fuelly suggests they're in the 50mpg with a 15L fuel tank you could probably get to 200 miles a tank. Belt drive rather than chain drive, even the faired GT model is only an 800mm seat.

I always get around 70mpg, and I don't hag around. Of course  am riding on proper roads, not stop/go crawls further South! I find scooters have two major faults for me. First I can't take the weight off my nether regions to ease 'numb bum', and I can't see over the roofs of cars, making overtaking more difficult. (I don't like CVT gears, and of course small wheels, but there are scooters which have proper gearboxes and even reasonably large wheels.)

• Like 1

Rev Ken
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:48, Rocker66 said:

Your braver man than I am with that comment😀😀

I can imagine Sue's response if someone was to suggest she needed a basket!:angel:

• Haha 1