Sign in to follow this  
KingJames

Radiator guard

KingJames

I have picked up a radiator guard for the 14 750X, it needs to be mounted on the left radiator mounting that doesn't currently have a bolt and nut in there.  Does anyone know what bolt and nut I need? F-35 in the parts catalogue not advising unfortunately.

MikeBike
16 minutes ago, KingJames said:

I have picked up a radiator guard for the 14 750X, it needs to be mounted on the left radiator mounting that doesn't currently have a bolt and nut in there.  Does anyone know what bolt and nut I need? F-35 in the parts catalogue not advising unfortunately.

Not sure exactly which nut & bolt you mean, but there are dimensions on the fowlers site for most parts. Here is 2014  750x (DCT) radiator.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5840770/nc750x-abs-dual-clutch/radiator

Hope that helps. If not which number in the list do you mean?

KingJames
18 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

Not sure exactly which nut & bolt you mean, but there are dimensions on the fowlers site for most parts. Here is 2014  750x (DCT) radiator.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5840770/nc750x-abs-dual-clutch/radiator

Hope that helps. If not which number in the list do you mean?

Thanks, that is F-35 in the catalogue.  I think it is part 28 but I'd need a nut and washer which isn't on the list but sourcable from elsewhere

embee

That's a system used on other Hondas for rad mounting. It even caught out my MOT guy who told me one bolt was missing from my Deauville rad mount. I had to gently point out that one of the mounts is simply a grommet which slips over a stub tube, the other bracket leg has a single bolt. It looks for all the world as though there is a bolt missing, but there isn't, it's supposed to be like that.

Having said all that, I guess your rad cover uses both positions to fit a bolt, in which case any M6 bolt and nut will do, you just need to measure how long it needs to be. The other one is M6x25 (that's the length of the shank not including the head), but for the other side you may need something longer depending on how long the tube is plus the bracket thickness. Measure what you have there, 25 might work or maybe 30mm, I'm purely guessing.

I'd suggest using stainless capscrews with nyloc nuts if you want to be posh about it, otherwise bright zinc plate (BZP) would do. Auction site is as good as anywhere if you don't have a stock of odd nuts and bolts handy. It may warrant using a plain washer too, depending on what the holes are like for fit. Halfords etc do small packs of such items if easier. Our local Wilko store is great for such things, a bag for £1-99 and you fill it with as many nuts/bolts/washer/hooks/eyes etc as you can fit, brilliant.

Edited by embee
  • Thanks 2

David T

I actually fitted a radiator guard the other day and had the same issue. At first I thought it didn't fit and then realise that particular mount has a hole through the middle for a bolt.... But no bolt included. I had a 6x40mm bolt laying around, as you do, which was the right length but maybe a bit thin. But with a couple of washers I managed to do it up nice and tight and it fits fine. Unfortunately it was zinc plated but I had some matt black radiator paint left over where I'd touched up some flaking paint on the end of the radiator itself. So painted the bolt once it was in situe. Looks fine. 

Jeffprince
10 hours ago, David T said:

I actually fitted a radiator guard the other day and had the same issue. At first I thought it didn't fit and then realise that particular mount has a hole through the middle for a bolt.... But no bolt included. I had a 6x40mm bolt laying around, as you do, which was the right length but maybe a bit thin. But with a couple of washers I managed to do it up nice and tight and it fits fine. Unfortunately it was zinc plated but I had some matt black radiator paint left over where I'd touched up some flaking paint on the end of the radiator itself. So painted the bolt once it was in situe. Looks fine. 

Very much as I fitted mine. Bought 2nd hand off the forum, and came with the 2nd bolt, luckily. I did doubt my dealer/Honda for a while, though.