Tex

Bangers & Mash? Or..

Trev
24 minutes ago, Tex said:

The Ohlins are more about performance than comfort (although the two are, by no means, incompatible). In the U.K. they come out at about a grand (Far Canal!!) But an Italian seller on the auction site did mine for a little over £600. God knows what they’re going to cost with the post Brexit exchange rate.. :( 

Seroiusly? Brilliant shocks. Well worth the money if you’re trying to achieve the ‘ultimate’ something or other. Are you trying to achieve the ‘Ultimate Enfield’? If so, counselling may help.. ;) 

Me? I would have a chat with Mr Hagon and take the wife for a nice weekend away with the money you’ll save on the Italian stuff. 

Thanks Tex, yup counselling may be the best option, it's the Enfield I'm afraid :cry:

I've swapped the standard shocks for a pair of piggy backs from your friends at TEC which are better but I'm after something to soak up more of the worst bumps and jars that we get two up when riding the minor roads and back lanes of choice. It's probably something with more travel that I need, there's scope for that as the bike is low  anyway and I've already done away with the sidestand as it touched down too easily. Motor wise,  I keep waiting for it to go 'pop' but 11k miles and no sign of that so far, am going to fill it with  Hitchcocks bits and bobs + a Power Commander to give it a bit more oomph for two up 'touring' / long day trips.

• Like 1

Tex

Trev, whilst it’s true you ‘can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear’ you can make a nice pigskin one! Go for it. And keep us posted.

It would have been a fair bit cheaper to buy a fast and good handling machine instead of investing my time and money into Percy, but where’s the fun in that? :niceone:

• Like 1

Tex

An exhausting day of ‘Hokey Kokey’, Monday. You put the camshaft in, you take the camshaft out, in, out, in, out and shake..

The job isn’t difficult, it just requires a calm, methodical approach. But when the best ‘engine man’ in Classic Racing has offered his help it reaches a whole other level. Uncle Albert (because of a certain resemblance to the ‘OnlyFools’ character) doesn’t believe in ‘fine’ or ‘good’, he believes in ‘perfect’. And only when a task is microscopically, forensically 100% perfect do you move on. 

Thoughts from the job that might help others?

Allow plenty of time. Thinking you’re going to knock it off on a Sunday morning before taking the wife to the pub for lunch will leave you frustrated. And hungry. :( 

Do it when you’re not wanting to use the bike and (again) allow plenty of time.

Even if you’re not changing the cam a pattern is emerging that the LC twins from Triumph tighten the valve clearance in service (mine were all too tight at just 3.5k miles) and I would certainly do them/have them done at 5k miles rather than wait for the 10k service. Shim kits are currently available on the auction site for £54 (202 shims) and I paid £12 for six.. If the bike is to be a ‘keeper’ then it’s no more than the cost of 4 litres of good oil and a filter (maybe split the cost with a friend and share the kit?).

The cam locking tool isn’t necessary (BTW) and I actually slipped the cam out and torqued it up on the bench - much easier. 

What was fun was seeing the reaction of the hard bitten ‘crew’ to the Triumph design. The boys at Hinckley have put a lot of thought into long service life and ease of maintenance. And it’s appreciated. We had a visitor (a good engineer who restores veteran cars - and is currently converting his DBD34 to electric start) and the boss said ‘Come and look at this Triumph, it’s really clever..’

But, yes, this is a Honda forum so I will shut up now. :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

macamx

I look forward to hearing if the effort and not insubstantial input of beer tokens translate into a tangible improvement. I find your observations with regard to valve clearances to be somewhat of a concern.

Geoff.

• Like 1

Tex
42 minutes ago, macamx said:

I look forward to hearing if the effort and not insubstantial input of beer tokens translate into a tangible improvement. I find your observations with regard to valve clearances to be somewhat of a concern.

Geoff.

Yes, don’t wish to be alarmist in any way. But it’s just the way things seem to be.. ;) 

How many miles on Ting Tong?

macamx
11 minutes ago, Tex said:

Yes, don’t wish to be alarmist in any way. But it’s just the way things seem to be.. ;) 

How many miles on Ting Tong?

4,700 in 4 months and (not ridden since October)

Geoff.

baben

If the valves are tightening that fast presumably there should be a rash of sub ten thousand bikes with burnt out valves? Or is it too soon for this to show up.

Tex
1 hour ago, baben said:

If the valves are tightening that fast presumably there should be a rash of sub ten thousand bikes with burnt out valves? Or is it too soon for this to show up.

Current thinking points to some engines not being shimmed correctly from new. Bit early to say. An Aussie over on the Triumph forum has done a good few miles on his new cam and is going to re-check his clearances. If they’re as he set them then it would indicate that the ‘problem’ is on assembly. I say ‘problem’ because although a few folks, myself included, have been surprised by tighter than desirable clearances no one - not one machine - has actually suffered any form of reported valve failure. And the fuss those boys can make over a blown dip beam filament means we would have heard by now.. ;) 

I would check mine earlier, for peace of mind. Would I pay a dealer to check them? Hmm, on reflection, maybe not. That’s what warranties are for, eh? 

Edited by Tex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tex

Work continues on my, seemingly endless, quest for mechanical excellence for Percy. There have been some reports of a simple SAD causing damage to the gear selectors :( a poor piece of design means the shift shaft is not positively located at it’s inner end and a knock on the gear lever can cause the selector mechanism to bend. Unacceptable.

I mulled over a couple of possibilities including machining a groove into the gear lever to make it ‘sacrificial’ - the downside of that is the potential to be stranded once the sacrifice has happened! :D And, in the event, I settled on turning up a nylon spacer to remove any excess end float. Another little victory for common sense over penny pinching (to duplicate this at the factory would cost Triumph tuppence a bike). ;) 

C29-F970-D-3289-4539-984-C-BFDF6-B32-D70

• Like 8

kayz1

And you no what Triumph would say to your mod Tex, some thing like, well that bit of plastic will stop the seal from breathing..:muttley:

• Haha 1

macamx
16 minutes ago, Tex said:

Work continues on my, seemingly endless, quest for mechanical excellence for Percy. There have been some reports of a simple SAD causing damage to the gear selectors :( a poor piece of design means the shift shaft is not positively located at it’s inner end and a knock on the gear lever can cause the selector mechanism to bend. Unacceptable.

I mulled over a couple of possibilities including machining a groove into the gear lever to make it ‘sacrificial’ - the downside of that is the potential to be stranded once the sacrifice has happened! :D And, in the event, I settled on turning up a nylon spacer to remove any excess end float. Another little victory for common sense over penny pinching (to duplicate this at the factory would cost Triumph tuppence a bike). ;) 

Cracking, simple, effective like all the best ideas. If I manage to get sorted (you can probably guess the next bit).

Geoff.

• Like 1

Tex

Still a ‘work in progress’ is the grafting on of a four piston Nissin brake calliper. We have it mounted and working (don’t worry about the ugly bracket, that’s purely to determine the location of the mountings). The hose is just one that was lying around and, once everything is finalised, I will order a replacement (the original is now too short). Will it be worthwhile? Hopefully. ;) 

74-B7827-F-366-E-4263-BC91-740570-F77-A1

• Like 4

Tex
29 minutes ago, macamx said:

Cracking, simple, effective like all the best ideas. If I manage to get sorted (you can probably guess the next bit).

Geoff.

Not a problem! :niceone:

• Thanks 1

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Great mod Simon.

One possible answer to making the sacrifice would be to carry a spare lever perhaps?

• Like 1

Tex
1 hour ago, kayz1 said:

And you no what Triumph would say to your mod Tex, some thing like, well that bit of plastic will stop the seal from breathing..:muttley:

A five thou air gap takes care of that. :niceone:

• Haha 1

PoppetM

As long as I can’t see it....:baby:

Andy m
4 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

One possible answer to making the sacrifice would be to carry a spare lever perhaps?

Mole grips, duct tape and 6 inches of finest Finnish tree stick. Don't ask how I know, let's just say there was nothing wrong with what Aprillia designed, it just wasn't designed for pulling up tree stumps. Simon's design is neater. 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SteveThackery
23 hours ago, Tex said:

Still a ‘work in progress’ is the grafting on of a four piston Nissin brake calliper. We have it mounted and working (don’t worry about the ugly bracket, that’s purely to determine the location of the mountings). The hose is just one that was lying around and, once everything is finalised, I will order a replacement (the original is now too short). Will it be worthwhile? Hopefully. ;) 

74-B7827-F-366-E-4263-BC91-740570-F77-A1

What effect will this have on your insurance?  I'd be worried about it because they'll use any excuse to bump up the premium.

Tex
54 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

What effect will this have on your insurance?  I'd be worried about it because they'll use any excuse to bump up the premium.

They probably will. If I get around to telling them. ;) As the 2019 models include this very feature in their standard specification I would argue that Percy was simply ahead of his time. :) 

More seriously, haven’t given it a thought. The whole lot might end up in the bin yet. 

• Like 1