Clutch cable

Scootabout

Scootabout

I've just had a service (+ new chain and sprockets + new front tyre) done at FWR, Kennington. They discovered that the clutch cable was badly worn. I saw it and it was pretty much hanging by a thread - I could easily have been stranded if it had failed.  It was the original on a 5.5 year old bike, so it didn't really owe me anything.  Does anyone have a view on how long they usually last, though? 

1 hour ago, Scootabout said:

Does anyone have a view on how long they usually last, though? 

I had a throttle cable snap on a 10 year old moped I'd recently bought. After that a bit of 3-in-1 oil every now and then meant I've had no further cable trouble in 40+ years. 

My daughter told me her gear changes on her Atoz were difficult and the clutch not fully disengaging, even after she had a garage look at it - "possible new clutch". Opened the bonnet - clutch cable into the cabin ended in a metal right-angled elbow and when the clutch was pressed, the inner cable was visibly taking a short cut as it had worn through the inner curve of the elbow. Shitty design (and shitty mechanic) that no amount of lubrication would save from failure.

• Like 1
Iron horse

I think they must last fairly well asit's not a common topic on here. Is it possible the bracket was misaligned causing the inner/outer cable to rub together?

Been to FWR myself and think they are pretty good. How did you find then, btw?

The basic design down at the engine end is used on other Honda models. It uses a bolt-on steel bracket for the outer cable abutment. These don't always line up exactly with the clutch operating lever on the engine casing and the inner rubs at an angle where it exits the cable outer.

The fix for this is highly technical ;)  , and involves bending the bracket (5) so the inner runs as near central in the sleeve as you can get it. Easy to do and well worth the effort.

You can also get the inner rubbing a bit heavily up at the handlebar lever end if the cable run isn't quite right, though usually this end works fine with just a bit of lube regularly.

The actual life depends on how many gearchanges you do rather than age or mileage.

--PANNEAU-CARTER-MOTEUR-D-NC750S-SA-Honda-MOTO-750-NC-2014-NC750SAE-E_05.jpg.a93f9acd0a95a22cc13c1cce03771320.jpg

Edited by embee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been to FWR for tyres for my VFR before. Excellent pricing and a really professional outfit in my opinion. 

coopers12345

Mine was a bit stiff on the one MOT, garage gave it a bit of oil and advised that the way it was run wasn't helping so they'd moved it when they were changing the front tyre.

Scootabout
On 16/01/2019 at 21:29, embee said:

The basic design down at the engine end is used on other Honda models. It uses a bolt-on steel bracket for the outer cable abutment. These don't always line up exactly with the clutch operating lever on the engine casing and the inner rubs at an angle where it exits the cable outer.

The fix for this is highly technical ;)  , and involves bending the bracket (5) so the inner runs as near central in the sleeve as you can get it. Easy to do and well worth the effort.

You can also get the inner rubbing a bit heavily up at the handlebar lever end if the cable run isn't quite right, though usually this end works fine with just a bit of lube regularly.

The actual life depends on how many gearchanges you do rather than age or mileage.

--PANNEAU-CARTER-MOTEUR-D-NC750S-SA-Honda-MOTO-750-NC-2014-NC750SAE-E_05.jpg.a93f9acd0a95a22cc13c1cce03771320.jpg

I think it was indeed a bit mis-aligned. I noticed it was rubbing against the sleeve, and used to squirt a bit of white grease on it from time to time, but it obviously wasn't preventing the fraying. 

Scootabout
On 16/01/2019 at 21:21, Iron horse said:

I think they must last fairly well asit's not a common topic on here. Is it possible the bracket was misaligned causing the inner/outer cable to rub together?

Been to FWR myself and think they are pretty good. How did you find then, btw?

I've been using them for tyres for years, and previously had chain and sprockets done by them, and have always been very happy.  But I had never had a service done by them - always Dobles until now.  I thought that, given I needed a new front tyre and a chain and sprocket kit, which they would almost certainly do more cheaply than Dobles, I'd get those done and let them do the (40k) service at the same time. I'm pleased that they spotted the cable issue. They seem to have done a good job overall. This is a good outfit, IMO. The work is done promptly (often ride in ride out), done well, and the price is fair. 

• Like 3