• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• embee

• wozza

• shiggsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I thought the gearchange felt a little smoother, but I'm well aware it's probably 99% in my mind! I like Penrite too, and the nice thing is, this oil meets all the specs for my car as well, so tha

The rev range and the specific output are largely irrelevant regarding the oil life. It depends on the detail design of the components.   Contact pressures and shear rates depend entirely on the des

It's entirely a personal thing but I use Castrol Power1 semi-synth in my bikes, either 10W30 or 10W40 depending on what it calls for. I've only done one oil change on the Integra (bought at 2k miles,

Mike5100

I was going to use very high performance Castrol Racing tts fully synthetic - only because I have plenty of it for other purposes. Anyone see any problem with using that?

Mike

Guest gunshot72

I was going to use very high performance Castrol Racing tts fully synthetic - only because I have plenty of it for other purposes. Anyone see any problem with using that?

Mike

Yes Mike. It doesn't make sense to use expensive fully synthetic oils in the NC. Keep them for your high revving engines. A good semi synthetic like Castrol Power 1 4T (not Racing 4T) is best. Semi synthetic oils are also better for long distance riding and bikes with longer service intervals.

Mike5100

Mike

Yes Mike. It doesn't make sense to use expensive fully synthetic oils in the NC. Keep them for your high revving engines. A good semi synthetic like Castrol Power 1 4T (not Racing 4T) is best. Semi synthetic oils are also better for long distance riding and bikes with longer service intervals.

Funnily enough Russ I had come to the same conclusion myself over lunchtime. I used to have a 2-stroke microlight and they tend to get used infrequently. The majority opinion was that semi synth oils tend to cling to surfaces better than the fully synth so tended to protect the engine better if there were big gaps between uses.

On the other hand I had heard that the highest spec synth oils helped fuel consumption because of lower friction ?

Mike

Guest motorboy

The only problem I have with semi is you don't know what semi means is it 5% -10% synthetic or what this will be the first bike I'm going to the the Honda GN4 factory oil&factory filter....

The specs of non-Honda engine oil must have the following standards:

• JASO T 903 standard: MA
  • SAE standard: 10W-30
  • API classification: SG or higher

• 1 month later...

My country have less choices than in UK. You are good.

Where are you from then? What choice of oils do you have?

Can you go to a 10w-40 in place of 30?

I would think any good quality 10-40 oil should be fine.

I stopped at the dealer to buy the oil filter, the clutch filter and the oil. I have just purchased an automatic model. He did not have the clutch filter yet (in next week) or any 10w-30 motorcycle oil. He stated that service recomends a regular motorcycle 10w40. I will use 10w40 now that I know the service manual allows that. General concensus was that a full or partial synthetic was a waste of $$ on this low reving bike.

Maybe but what about the constantly shifting DCT mechanism?

I'd go at least quality semi-synth in my dream NC.

I would second that. Personally I would always use a good quality semi- synth oil.

a 10 -30 will be good all around Britian never to cold never to hot , just raining all the time ...

colder climates i would put 5-30

hotter climate 10-40

tropic and desert 10-50 ... or 20-50

full or semi up to you... with the low rev this bike have and changing the oil reguraly the engine will last a long time (as long you don't ride it like you stole it all the time)

Edited by bongo
Guest motorboy

You could get away with many different weights 10-50 20-50 air cooled engines 10-30 10-40 water cooled and be ok But not with the DCT I think the servos and dual clutch would suffer besides whats wrong with what Honda says

• 3 weeks later...
Guest power_up

My country have less choices than in UK. You are good.

Where are you from then? What choice of oils do you have?

Hong Kong. I can get Motul, Repsol and silkoline here. But both are expensive choice.

I have heard Mobil V-twin is good and cheaper too? But not available here.

I thought in Hong Kong you would be able to get virtually any type of oil...

I use to live in Hong Kong in the 60s. My father was Station Warrant Officer at RAF Kai Tak. :)

Edited by wozza
Rev Ken

HI use to live in Hong Kong in the 60s. My father was Station Warrant Officer at RAF Kai Tak. :)

I was stationed in Victoria Barracks in the late sixties - early seventies - wonderful time!

HI use to live in Hong Kong in the 60s. My father was Station Warrant Officer at RAF Kai Tak. :)

I was stationed in Victoria Barracks in the late sixties - early seventies - wonderful time!

Ah I was only a little lad then 1965-1967 but I still have very fond memories from that time.......sigh.. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hkfreedom

I am living in Hong Kong too and I love Silkolene Pro 4 Plus 5W40 so I will use it on my NC700X.

Anyone have experience with this model and their NC?

Has anyone done an oil change on a NC700S? is it very difficult to do? Cheers

• 4 weeks later...