fred_jb

It's official - I'm not getting a new BMW R1250RS!

fred_jb

Just heard today that BMW have delayed production of the new RS until September!  Bleep bleepity bleep - ****ing expletives deleted!

There had been rumours for a while, and yesterday I started seeing posts online of other people being told their orders would not be fulfilled, at least not until after September.  I don't know what BMW are playing at, though apparently due to unexpectedly high demand, they can sell as many of the new R1250GS as they can make, and that probably has a higher profit margin, so being cynical that may have something to do with it.

As a result I won't be getting an RS anytime soon, and have to decide what to do, but it seems like any course of action, even keeping the GS for another year, is going to cost me more money, as it seems like this was the optimum time to trade in the current bike unless I keep it forever, and although I may have justified it to my wife as my forever bike, I never really believed that!

The price to change will definitely be higher if I keep the current GS longer.  I am going to see the dealer later to run a few scenarios and do some costings to see what is the best way forward financially - ranging through keeping my GS for another year, buying a secondhand RS (old model) then upgrading later to new RS, to buying one of the new GS1250s and keeping it for at least one year before changing to an RS1250.

Aaaargh!

• Sigh 6
  • Sad 4

macamx

That is hugely frustrating.

Geoff.

• Like 1

slowboy

Sorry to hear that Fred, I was looking forward to your views on the new model. Hope whatever you decide works out for you.

• Like 1

Andy m

That's bad news. 

Nothing you fancy from Honda etc? 

Andy

• Like 1

MikeBike

Fred, it must be very annoying but maybe there could also be some issues that need to be ironed out, taking the extra time to make sure everything is really ready for production. In that case better later..

3 hours ago, fred_jb said:

The price to change will definitely be higher if I keep the current GS longer. 

Yes, but the depreciation per year over the longer period would be less wouldn't it? Steeper depreciation in the first year(s) then flattening i.e. less costly ownership with less frequent changes.

Or seen another way the depreciation of your current bike over the next year will be less than that of the new bike.

• Like 2

fred_jb

Thanks for all the sympathy guys, first world problems I know, but still bloody annoying, and very disappointing. Anyway, I've been to see the dealer who has been very helpful given the circumstances which are not even their fault.

The end result is that I am having a new R1250GS, and ended up only paying about half the normal difference in price between GS and RS, so I think that is a good deal.  Getting a good discount off list price of a more expensive bike which has the new engine should stand me in good stead should I decide to swap to an RS in a year or two.

Game on!

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 8

alhendo1

That sounds like a good deal and prompt action from the dealer...both parties happy....all the best with your new bike👍

• Like 1

Chris750

Unfortunately this is how the German motor manufacturers work.

I'm a great believer in things happening for a reason, enjoy your new GS I look forward to some pictures 👍

• Like 1

Mr Toad

A pity plan A didn't work out Fred but unlike the Govt. at least you had a plan B. 

Although not your first choice I'm sure you'll love the new GS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Tex

You’re blessed with a very understanding wife, Fred. Mrs T would have had my goolies for earrings.. ;) 

Enjoy the new bike! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pjm

Will you be able to use the lower exhaust set up again?

• Like 1

fred_jb
40 minutes ago, pjm said:

Will you be able to use the lower exhaust set up again?

Yes I will, and although the RS wouldn't have required that particular mod, I was looking forward to the challenge of putting all my other stuff like alarm, BikeTrac, front/rear dash cam, etc, on a different bike.  Just reinstating everything on the new GS in the same way as on the old one is not so appealing, and will be a bit of a chore!

Edited by fred_jb

Tex

Yes, farkling up a brand new GS1250 must be such a bore.. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

rainmaker

Some "man math" must have played here as I cannot see how deprecation of your old bike can be higher than a brand new in a year time. Nevertheless that could be called a result as you are having not just one but two new bikes in that time :lol:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pjm

As I have commented before, Motorcycles and the pursuit of the perfect bike is more addictive than any class A drug or even Fortnite 😄😄😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Radarman
7 hours ago, fred_jb said:

The end result is that I am having a new R1250GS,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with RS and congratulations on getting newest GS (honestly that's better bike - at least to me ;))

What colour of the GS did you choose?

• Like 2

wpbrown

Was in my local BMW dealer this afternoon. He confirmed the new 1250RS not available until September. He has a lovely 2017 R1200RS Sport SE in stock with all the bells and whistles, 2247 miles for <£11,999. It fitted me perfectly!!

I knew I shouldn't have gone in and looked at it.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

fred_jb

Thanks Hubert.  I'm going for the black GS TE model, which rather disappointingly looks just like the previous one! I'm sure I will enjoy it even more than the last one due to the significantly improved engine and a few other improvements.  Just fancied a change, but it was not to be!

fred_jb
5 minutes ago, wpbrown said:

Was in my local BMW dealer this afternoon. He confirmed the new 1250RS not available until September. He has a lovely 2017 R1200RS Sport SE in stock with all the bells and whistles, 2247 miles for <£11,999. It fitted me perfectly!!

I knew I shouldn't have gone in and looked at it.....

I considered getting a current RS, and upgrading to the new one later, but wasn't sure if the suspension would be as good for two-up riding as I believe it has an earlier version of ESA than my GS had.  The other issue for me is that due to the RS not holding its value as well as the GS, it might well give me a bigger price to change than coming from a GS.

I look forward to hearing more about your impending purchase! 😀

fred_jb
7 hours ago, Chris750 said:

Unfortunately this is how the German motor manufacturers work.

I'm a great believer in things happening for a reason, enjoy your new GS I look forward to some pictures 👍

Thanks, and you could be right.  I had a sneaking worry that I would find my back unable to adapt to the slightly sportier riding position of the RS.  At least I know the GS is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned.

• Like 2

Ciaran1602

How frustrating! Glad you got a result once you returned to the dealer though. :ahappy:

• Like 1

SteveThackery
22 hours ago, fred_jb said:

The end result is that I am having a new R1250GS, and ended up only paying about half the normal difference in price between GS and RS, so I think that is a good deal.  Getting a good discount off list price of a more expensive bike which has the new engine should stand me in good stead should I decide to swap to an RS in a year or two.

A pretty reasonable outcome.

The other thing I've done at times like this is to buy a ratter for pennies and ride it until the MOT runs out, hoping that'll be after next September.  The main purpose being to stay on the road but not suffer any significant depreciation.  The other advantage is that it makes the new bike feel all the better when you get it.

• Like 2

fred_jb

I considered getting an interim bike, but anything capable of taking us both touring this summer would be too expensive and liable to serious depreciation.  The alternative of waiting until September would mean missing a summer of riding which at my age I don't feel I can afford to do, not knowing how many years of riding I have left!

• Like 3

Tex

Has Anne even had a good long ride on the back of an RS? Might pay you to arrange that.. ;) 

• Like 1

fred_jb
24 minutes ago, Tex said:

Has Anne even had a good long ride on the back of an RS? Might pay you to arrange that.. ;) 

Well, it's a bit academic at the moment, but the back end of the RS is pretty much identical to that of the GS, so I wouldn't anticipate any problems for the pillion, at least not if I fitted a larger screen with an AirFlow secondary screen, which I intended to do, as this combo seems key to getting turbulence free airflow around both rider and pillion.

Edited by fred_jb