Front Disc

Guest nibbler

Guest nibbler

I had my front pads done 2 weeks ago and was told that the disc had just gone below the minimum needed to pass the MOT so I arranged for the this to be done this Saturday.  I called the Powerbiking in High Wycombe who are doing the work today to confirm that all was okay for Saturday and to get the price for the work.  i have been told that not only are they doing the front disc but they are replacing the pads as well even though they are under 2 weeks old :ermm:  this is on top of being told it will be £265 +Vat  :cry:

Has anyone ever had a disc replaced and been told that they have to have the pads done as well?

Iron horse

Sounds a bit pricey? Is that a genuine Honda disc at that price? Aftermarket discs seem to be around £100, pads £20 and half hour labour?

Guest nibbler
Just now, Iron horse said:

Sounds a bit pricey? Is that a genuine Honda disc at that price? Aftermarket discs seem to be around £100, pads £20 and half hour labour?

They are going for a genuine Honda disc as I do high mileage

trisaki

Should replace disc along with pads , but as you  only had the pads done a short while ago they should be perfectly ok 

• Like 1

Ask for the old pads back and reuse them as and when these need replacing. No lose then

Iron horse
32 minutes ago, nibbler said:

I had my front pads done 2 weeks ago and was told that the disc had just gone below the minimum needed to pass the MOT so I arranged for the this to be done this Saturday.  I called the Powerbiking in High Wycombe who are doing the work today to confirm that all was okay for Saturday and to get the price for the work.  i have been told that not only are they doing the front disc but they are replacing the pads as well even though they are under 2 weeks old :ermm:  this is on top of being told it will be £265 +Vat  :cry:

Has anyone ever had a disc replaced and been told that they have to have the pads done as well?

How many miles did that disc do, out of interest?

Andy m

They are taking it to a level that's stupid. The old disc had grooves in it like record (that's a vinyl to the kiddies). The new pads will have started to get matching grooves. Put a mismatched pair together and instead of fitting and making the contact area bigger they meet point to point and gap to gap. They wear like **gg**y and brake like a greased shopping trolly. Eventually they either wear out of wear to match. If one is past its best it'll wear out. 

Your pads have started bedding in with the wrong disc and it will cost you a few miles. It'll sort itself out. 

Ask for the old pads back then go learn to do this yourself/ find a proper independent mechanic. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
motorbykcourier

You could check out WeMoto they do some good alternative disks (and pads) which ARE cheaper than Honda.

I replaced both front and rear discs at around 120K miles with HONDA replacements.

I prefer to use Honda brake pads - front tend to last ~25K and rear a bit more

• Like 3

Brakes must be one of the best earners for mechanics, both on cars and bikes. No one wants to take a risk so any mention of a problem and everyone agrees to pay whatever it costs. I don't think £265 + vat is ridiculous for new disc & pads fitted (although it's certainly pretty damn high) but putting new pads if others are two weeks old is. 

On the plus side, replacing pads, and even discs, is one of the simplest jobs to do on a bike (bit more hassle on  most modern carss) and if you're a high mileage rider then would be very worthwhile getting yourself a Haynes manual and doing it yourself. You'll also have the added bonus of knowing for sure that it's been done correctly.

fred_jb

Yes, my wife got caught with the old disc and pad replacement when having her Fiat 500 service and MOT at Halfords. They said it wouldn't pass MOT without due to wear and corrosion on the disks, so we agreed, but I asked to see the old parts.

The pads were not totally worn out but probably would have been by next service.  I was less happy about the disks.  There was virtually no wear lip, so they were obviously nowhere near the service limit on thickness, which it seems they hadn't even measured. 

The wearing surface was not grooved or damaged. The corrosion which they were keen to point out, turned out to be just on the edge of the disk outside the area swept by the pads, so of no real significance in my opinion.  I would have just scraped it off if it was impeding the fitting of new pads, so I was I not impressed, but I suppose it serves me right for not doing this sort of stuff myself anymore.

Edited by fred_jb
Andy m

Not everyone worries enough to pay

https://goo.gl/images/HYBgcF

What amazes me is that the ones who complain about wear and the price of parts are the ones who'll miss the basics. With a hydraulic disc removing the pads and cleaning out the crud on service day is your friend. The stuff I meet usually has slack adjusters that don't and the wrong spec for the load cycle. 

It is possible to take the whatsit though and you even get people who want to pay more because that must make it even safer. 

Andy

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Not everyone worries enough to pay

https://goo.gl/images/HYBgcF

To be fair, that disc's probably only got a couple of thousand miles left in  before it needs replacing :D

• Haha 3
Guest nibbler
1 hour ago, Iron horse said:

How many miles did that disc do, out of interest?

The disc has done just over  43,000 miles and the disc is now 3.75mm thick at its thickest

Guest nibbler
2 hours ago, Andy m said:

Ask for the old pads back then go learn to do this yourself/ find a proper independent mechanic. 

The reason I pay to have them done is that me and mechanical things don’t mix and I would rather have someone else do it than put my own life at risk.

Honda discs are now made of chocolate, mine was gone at 10k. I bought one off E--y for 60 pound and its done 26k and still good. If your disc was that bad the garage should not have put new pads in, as the worn disc will just destroy them.

My experience is split over two bikes both ncx. No noticeable disc wear ar 25k one set of Honda pads probably at 16k on the first and the second still on originals at 17k. 

Could it be aggressive compounds having a detrimental effect on the disc. A lot of people swop them for better feel etc but this must come at a cost