NC700 Bleeding Sequence

Guest Paget76

Guest Paget76

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but can anyone tell me if there is a specific sequence for bleeding the rear brake lines? Obviously on the '700 there are two lines, one going to the rear brake and a secondary to the middle piston of the front...

Also, I've been struggling to compress the pistons sufficiently in the front brake to get new pads over the disc - any suggestions?

Cheers!

Bleeding. I think it depends a bit. The Integra has the rear master cyl on the handlebars so the brake line layout is completely different to the S/X.

As a principle I usually do the short run first, so on my Integra I do the front first then the rear. On my Deauville I do the rear first then the front, but that isn't ABS so another variable anyway. To be perfectly honest I doubt it makes a huge difference either way, as long as you bleed them effectively.

I always recommend a vacuum type bleeder because you can get a steady flow of fluid which will be much more effective at purging any air than trying to pump it intermittently using the master cylinder. If in doubt I will go back and repeat the process, with a vac bleeder it is so quick and easy you can justify repeating.

There are various vac bleeders on the market. Personally I have a Mityvac because I also use it for other vac/pressure testing purposes, but there are other dedicated vac brake bleeders around at modest cost, well worth the investment IMO.

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
trisaki

If pistons won't go in easily  I would pump em right out and fit new seals (once the groves have been cleaned  out )  and probably  stainless  pistons -you are bleeding the system  anyway  ! 

• Like 1

I seem to remember some folk have found certain manufacturer's pads have been thicker than others. Can't remember the details, maybe someone else can give more info.

What make of pads are you fitting?

Guest Paget76

Thanks for the answers folks. Should have mentioned it's an NC700X (so rear brake reservoir is at the back). Pads are EBC - have always used them once I wore through the OEM cheese pads...

I have a sneaking suspicion that both calipers could do with being taken apart and thoroughly cleaned, but not sure I can face that just yet!

steelhorseuk

I just replaced my rear set (NC700SA) from OEM (Nissin) pads to EBC.

As per Murrays (embee) comment above, EBC pads are slightly thicker than the OEM (Nissin?) pads.

Also, the EBC pads I ordered from SBS did not come with the anti-squeal and heat shield. 

So, I had to clean the existing ones up, not a problem. They come very clean with brake cleaner. 

After cleaning your calliper just ensure you get the piston pushed all the way back and your nice new EBC pads go in nicely!

OEM rear set of pads from Honda dealer at a staggering £44.00!  Ouch...

EBC HH rear set from SBS at £15 + £1.50 delivery.  Lots better.

Edited by Steel Horse UK
trisaki
24 minutes ago, Paget76 said:

Thanks for the answers folks. Should have mentioned it's an NC700X (so rear brake reservoir is at the back). Pads are EBC - have always used them once I wore through the OEM cheese pads...

I have a sneaking suspicion that both calipers could do with being taken apart and thoroughly cleaned, but not sure I can face that just yet!

Where in the country are  you  , , I run my own  independent wshop in west Sussex   if that helps at all 

Edited by trisaki
Guest Paget76

I'm in SE London - whereabouts are you in W Sussex, trisaki?

And yes, I got the EBS from SBS (always my goto online shop) - no anti-squeal/heat, as you say, but never been a problem reusing them. Interesting that they are slightly thicker - combined with the fact I can't quite get the pistons all the way in, that's probably my problem!

trisaki

My wshop  is arundel/littlehampton  bn180as 

trisaki

If ever this way give me a call , have a brew up and a natter 

outrunner

Has the brake fluid been topped up anytime before changing the pads? Perhaps there is too much fluid in the master cylinder preventing the pistons from going right back.

Andy.

• Like 3
DaveM59

Loosen the bleed screw and see if they push in any further, any dirt behind the pistons will be pushed out rather than back up the brake pipe.

• Like 2
coopers12345

What method are you using to push them back in? I normally find that a sturdy knife provides a large enough flat surface and sufficient pivot to push the pistons back flush.

• Like 1
DaveM59

Small g-clamp works for me with a rag or piece of cardboard so as not to mark the calliper body. Put the clamp screwed part right down inside the piston if you can then you can't force it cock-eyed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had it where the calliper would not go back over the disc with new pads, as though the pads were much thicker. Turned out it was an issue with the calliper slide pins not sliding well. Pulled the  two halfs of the calliper apart and greased / cleaned up the slide pins and went on easily after - maybe worth a look. 

• Like 2
Iron horse

Agree on the slide pins. My front brake was binding slightly and cleaning/lubing the pins did the job nicely.

• Like 2
Guest Paget76

Cheers all. Managed to get the pistons in after a good clean , so that was fine, and bled the brakes through. All hunky-dory, or so I thought.

However.

I now have the problem that for some reason I have almost no braking action from the pedal... I assumed I had been a wombat and got some air in the lines, so I've bled them right through again (front and back), but still I have to stamp on the pedal to get any resonse. Bearing in mind the pedal drives both front and back brakes, I can't see it being the calipers or pistons, as that wouldn't affect both. And also the 'main' front brake is as sharp as you like. 

Have my MOT tomorrow, and rather worried it won't be passing - and even if it does, I still need to get this sorted!

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks,

Richard

Bigglesaircraft

What bike do you have as my X foot peddle only operates the back brake.

MikeBike

11 minutes ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

On 18/01/2019 at 09:15, Paget76 said:

Obviously on the '700 there are two lines, one going to the rear brake and a secondary to the middle piston of the front...

Bigglesaircraft
20 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

Yes sorry, forgot the ABS network, too early in the morning for me today, blame the flu.

trisaki
36 minutes ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

He has a nc700 which has combined  brakes 

trisaki
1 hour ago, Paget76 said:

Cheers all. Managed to get the pistons in after a good clean , so that was fine, and bled the brakes through. All hunky-dory, or so I thought.

However.

I now have the problem that for some reason I have almost no braking action from the pedal... I assumed I had been a wombat and got some air in the lines, so I've bled them right through again (front and back), but still I have to stamp on the pedal to get any resonse. Bearing in mind the pedal drives both front and back brakes, I can't see it being the calipers or pistons, as that wouldn't affect both. And also the 'main' front brake is as sharp as you like. 

Have my MOT tomorrow, and rather worried it won't be passing - and even if it does, I still need to get this sorted!

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi did you bleed the rear using the bleed nipple on the centre piston in the front caliper , try bleeding  the rear brake again  , I normally  bleed the centre bleed nipple  in the front caliper then the rear but dont it is that important which sequence  

Guest Paget76
56 minutes ago, trisaki said:

Hi did you bleed the rear using the bleed nipple on the centre piston in the front caliper , try bleeding  the rear brake again  , I normally  bleed the centre bleed nipple  in the front caliper then the rear but dont it is that important which sequence  

I did the rear and then the front-centre, but as you say I don't think it should make a difference...

Is there anywhere else that air can sit that bleeding might not reach? Not quite sure how the actuator works to drive both lines?