Rosewellian

bonneville teetering!

Scootabout
22 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

One of my riding mates had a Himalayan until a few weeks ago.  He is 80, experienced riding on road and off.  The bike was bought new. He liked a lot about it, but not everything.  The instrument cluster fogged up.  The dealer failed to repair of replace it.  It had a power loss when trying to cruise over 100km/h.  The dealer failed to cure it.  Two set screws in the lower left fork clamp sheared off!  One was noticed missing and the other sheared off when a spanner was applied to remove it.  The dealer removed the broken threaded portions and fitted new screws - but only to the one side!  Screws into alloy should strip the female thread before shearing off.

Surprisingly to me my mate is considering getting an Interceptor 650 when they arrive here in February. Or a Street Twin!

Graham, that's not great but maybe gives pointers to weak spots to check, rather than demonstrating that the bike's a dead loss generally?  Reviews I've read (eg the French Moto Magazine) and YouTube vids by a guy who did 10k miles offroad on one seem to indicate it's not a bad bike - at least for the money. 

Andy m

I've had two Enfields, a 2005 5-speed and a 2017 EFI. Graham's info rings very true. You pay peanuts but risk getting monkeys. I put this down to a few things. The Indian production workers are in a huge factory of the type Henry Ford would have recognised, you turn up and are paid by bolts bolted not customer satisfaction. The Indian Home market was closed for fifty years. Like Ural and Lada when the choice is a Bullet or walking you accept the Bullet and rebuild it to make it work. This is changing but Enfield are now the Harley of India so feel no need to rush. Most outside India are bought by enthusiasts as second bikes, so are accepted as imperfect. They are ludicrously easy to work on. 

My biggest issue was not the poor quality or lack of dealer support, it was the lack of spares. My chain snapped (bad riveting) , but because these last changed design in 1947 I had a huge choice. The gasket required to remove the alternator cover to get at the sprocket (a stupid design they should have fixed on the EFI) was available from Hitchcocks because the EFI had been around for 5 years and owners had started to change FD ratios. The damaged chain adjusters however were impossible to source because ABS and rear disc was under a year old. Enfield UK saw no problem with my bike being useless for three or four months and the parts request just disappeared into the huge Indian bureaucracy. Hitchcocks did not expect anyone to break on so soon (& as non-dealers would not expect to until after the warranty) . As sold my bike had the second highest mileage on the auction site. My 13 month old bike was matching stuff from the 90's. 

You pay your money and make your choice, but Enfield have a way to go to match the likes of Triumph and Honda. Waiting until they have a design established is worthwhile on any brand IMHO, I've been a BMW Beta tester and while they vary between aggressive blame and grovelling it still wastes your time. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

PoppetM

Went into ny local Yamaha dealer to look at the Xmax. They can let me have their 149 mile 400cc demo for the same price as the 300cc new. A grand saving.

Unfortunately as I walked in there was a Triumph 675 Triple and a T100 side by side. I admit I spent more time looking at them then the xmax. "Go on have a seat!".... I ran!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

fred_jb

TMF has just published his review of the new Enfield Intercepter, and he seems to like it very much.   I like the look of it, and makes me think - I could have one of those for not that much more than I am paying to change from a two year old GS to a new one!  :wacko:

• Like 1

macamx

That is indeed a sobering thought.

Geoff.

• Like 1

fred_jb
Just now, macamx said:

That is indeed a sobering thought.

Geoff.

Yes but, although I like the look of it, I would probably have no real world use for that sort of bike, other than as an occasionally used toy.  It is not the sort of thing that would take me and the missus plus luggage effortlessly around Southern Spain in luxurious comfort, and while that may not be real riding to some, that is the sort of thing that gives me most of my riding pleasure these days!

• Like 2

macamx
Just now, fred_jb said:

Yes but, although I like the look of it, I would probably have no real world use for that sort of bike, other than as an occasionally used toy.  It is not the sort of thing that would take me and the missus plus luggage effortlessly around Southern Spain in luxurious comfort, and while that may not be real riding to some, that is the sort of thing that gives me most of my riding pleasure these days!

And that is exactly the point. If it gives you pleasure and can be attained without detriment to others then good luck to you.

Geoff.

• Like 2

Tex
56 minutes ago, macamx said:

And that is exactly the point. If it gives you pleasure and can be attained without detriment to others then good luck to you.

Geoff.

Absloutely! One of my best friends thinks I’m bonkers for messing about lifting the power of my Bonnie from ‘hardly any’ to ‘not very much’. While I think he’s equally bonkers for spending a fortune on the 160 bhp BMW S1000R. His bike could probably match the top speed of mine without leaving second gear! :D But so what? We’re both getting good value for our money (I am, anyway. His tyre bill would bankrupt me!! ;) ) and we’re both happy. Who are we hurting? 

• Like 7

Rocker66
Just now, Tex said:

Absloutely! One of my best friends thinks I’m bonkers for messing about lifting the power of my Bonnie from ‘hardly any’ to ‘not very much’. While I think he’s equally bonkers for spending a fortune on the 160 bhp BMW S1000R. His bike could probably match the top speed of mine without leaving second gear! :D But so what? We’re both getting good value for our money (I am, anyway. His tyre bill would bankrupt me!! ;) ) and we’re both happy. Who are we hurting? 

That  the sort of thing I tell people when they ask why I bought the Monkey. It’s giving me more pleasure than I ever thought a 125 could. Now I just need to get the bits I had as Christmas presents fitted.

• Like 7

Derm

It's even got proper mudguards, smart looking bike.

• Like 1

Mr Toad

A thing of beauty but then I am biased :) 

• Like 1

macamx

Check it has the "conical" type rear hub as the previous design was prone to spoke breakages.

Geoff.

• Thanks 1

slowboy
9 hours ago, macamx said:

Check it has the "conical" type rear hub as the previous design was prone to spoke breakages.

Geoff.

2010 model will have the "straight pull" spokes. My early Thruxton 900 did not, it had the hooks at the hub end.

Daddy, why is the man on the old looking bike going red in the face and waving those little rods at the service manager?

Must stay calm..........

• Haha 3

Rosewellian
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:00, Rosewellian said:

Help... I'm nearly there with this 2010 one owner, 4000 mls 60th anniversary limited edition,  should hold its value too?

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2010models/2010-Triumph-Bonneville60-Sixty-1960AnniversaryEdition

2010-Triumph-Bonneville60-Sixty-1960AnniversaryEditiona-small.jpg

Gone and done it!!

• Like 6

baben

"Oh." I said to the missis.

"What?"

"He's gone and done it, bought a Bonneville".

"Is this a bad thing?"

"Well no, but it's a Honda forum"

"Well you ride a Triumph don't you?"

Collapse of stout party....:dielaugh:

Congratulations by the way and welcome to the Triumph Sub Section / Schism. Grand Master Tex will be along shortly for your subs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mr Toad

Well done that man. Welcome to the Bonneville owners on the group.

Tex
1 hour ago, Rosewellian said:

Gone and done it!!

Excellent news! I wish you a long and happy association. :niceone:

Now, membership of the Triumph section of the forum is pretty much essential (subs paid in cash in an envelope marked “Tex’s Speed Twin Fund”) we’ll be in touch..

• Haha 1

Rosewellian
3 minutes ago, Tex said:

Excellent news! I wish you a long and happy association. :niceone:

Now, membership of the Triumph section of the forum is pretty much essential (subs paid in cash in an envelope marked “Tex’s Speed Twin Fund”) we’ll be in touch..

Tex

im thinking of adding a screen and panniers for my road trip to germany in June. It would be good to see pics of any you have invested in for your t100

• Like 1

macamx

Great choice. Bit special are these and becoming more relevant by the day on our congested, traffic camera infested roads.

Geoff.

• Like 1

Andy m
1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

Bonneville owners on the group.

BOG? 

I could comment but.... 

Various pictures on mine here https://sites.google.com/site/threewheelbonnie/

The screen was the Triumph one. Works very well. 

I snapped a good dozen spokes. Ended up carrying a spare wheel on the chair. Useful for punctures and a way to get a knobbly on for the snow, but also an indication of how bad their first attempt at the wheels were. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2

Tex
15 minutes ago, Andy m said:

BOG? 

I could comment but.... 

Bonneville Riders Action Group - BRAG? ;) 

• Haha 2

Tex
36 minutes ago, Rosewellian said:

Tex

im thinking of adding a screen and panniers for my road trip to germany in June. It would be good to see pics of any you have invested in for your t100

Nothing very exciting in that way for me, I’m afraid. I have the Triumph nylon panniers and no screen (yet). This is Percy in his Mk1 guise (chrome wheels). Photo by Sam (Poppet).

070188-B2-275-C-4983-A101-564-CE324-FE81

• Like 3

baben
8 minutes ago, Tex said:

Nothing very exciting in that way for me, I’m afraid. I have the Triumph nylon panniers and no screen (yet). This is Percy in his Mk1 guise (chrome wheels). Photo by Sam (Poppet).

070188-B2-275-C-4983-A101-564-CE324-FE81

How comfy is he on a motorway run?

I'm thinking a Speed Twin with a screen of some kind might be a possibility if I stay with Triumph.

Tex
Just now, baben said:

How comfy is he on a motorway run?

I'm thinking a Speed Twin with a screen of some kind might be a possibility if I stay with Triumph.

Upper body is fine if cruising speed is kept to 70 or so (no screen). Footrests are too far forward for sustainable high speed (that’s why sports bikes use rear sets) with the wind forcing your knees apart. You get aching thighs :(. The Speed Twin has the rests further back and a bit higher, so it’ll be fine.