Rosewellian

bonneville teetering!

Rosewellian

Feeling a bit nostalgic so I'm teetering on he brink of a new Bonneville. I think the MCN show in feb will be the deciding factor.

Would have loved an old one but reliability could be an issue?

not sure which Hinkley model yet but will be looking for a relaxed riding position

Any gotchas I should know about (apart from the price)

• Like 1

Derm

The look a treat and certainly twang emotions including nostalgia. And that modern day reliability, tempting until perhaps it comes to cleaning, now that is another thing. Good luck with your dilemma.

suffolk58

That Tex will be along in a minute......

My favourite is the Scrambler, purely on looks.

I came very close to buying one.

• Like 1

Tex

25 minutes ago, Rosewellian said:

Would have loved an old one but reliability could be an issue?

Affording one would be your biggest problem. Reliability is fine if just used as a ‘hobby’ bike (2 hours spent fettling for every hour spent riding) but one wouldn’t be my first choice to ride to work..

Any of the Hinckley models are great. I like the later (2016 onwards) liquid cooled models, for both looks and easy servicing, but any of them will be a cool (and fun) play bike.

As a personal preference I would go for an alloy wheel (tubeless) model, but you may not be bothered.

• Like 7

embee

Every original Bonny comes complete with the factory optional extra rose tinted glasses.

Edited by embee
  • Like 4

poldark

I appreciate some of you will never speak to me ever again, but I just have to say "Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and save £3500".

My work is done. :blink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, poldark said:

I appreciate some of you will never speak to me ever again, but I just have to say "Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and save £3500".

It certainly looks a good bike for the money. It will be interesting to read reports in a years time when people have put some miles on them.

• Like 2

Tex
8 hours ago, poldark said:

My laughing face response was to the first part of the sentence, not the idea of getting an RE twin. I rather like them and would love a ride on one!  :niceone:

• Like 2

slowboy

Royal Enfield 650 twin. I've been keeping out of our local dealer so far this year, as I think I might not be able to resist temptation......😇

• Like 3

macamx

If you are looking at a W/C model check how much chain adjustment is left. There has been and indeed is an issue with bikes leaving the factory with very little adjustment available due to the simple fact the chain is slightly too long and many owners have run out of adjustment in under 5,000 miles. Indeed I had my chain replaced (with a link removed) at 3,500 under warranty, many others have not been successful in claiming. Other than that quite ridiculous error, can't fault the bike and the built quality is "top drawer".

Geoff.

• Like 3

Mr Toad

I love my Bonneville T100, mine is the 2009 865cc version.

However, I would agree with Simon, unless you live somewhere that doesn't get much rain it's not a bike to commute on as keeping it clean would be a nightmare. Everything is exposed and you wouldn't believe how many hard to clean places there are. 

Forget the older, original bikes, they are things of beauty but compared to a modern bike, including the new Bonneville, they are tiny. I was lucky enough to ride one some a while ago and although I loved it I felt like a gorilla on a moped.

Mine only goes out in the sunshine and is taken off the road in the winter months. I used the NC all year round until last year when the NC was was replaced by the BMW which I also ride year round. I wash and clean the Bonnie by hand while the BMW gets jet washed and wiped down with a leather.

Logically, and financially, the ten year old Bonnie should be the year round hack while the expensive BMW is cossetted and never sees any rain but when did logic ever have anything to do with bike ownership. :) 

Have you considered buying a Bonnie that's a few years old, you can get them for not a lot of money and keeping the NC?

Also, I would urge you to at least take a look at the Royal Enfield 650 I sat on one at a show last year and they are very impressive. It looked and felt well made and I can certainly see one in my garage. They are £5.5k brand new and it's a lot of bike for the money. As soon as they start to appear on the second hand market I shall be looking to pick up a bargain. :)           

• Like 3

Tex
38 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Royal Enfield 650 twin. I've been keeping out of our local dealer so far this year, as I think I might not be able to resist temptation......😇

Be a lovely thing to ride through the Dolomites.. (just saying.. ). :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mr Toad
3 minutes ago, Tex said:

Be a lovely thing to ride through the Dolomites.. (just saying.. ). :D 

And we could swap bikes occasionally for a full and rounded riding experience :)        

• Haha 3

Tex
11 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

And we could swap bikes occasionally for a full and rounded riding experience :)        

That would work (except the last time I borrowed a GS my mate had to threaten me with a Tazer to get the keys back! :( ).

• Haha 2

Andy m
12 hours ago, poldark said:

I "Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and save £3500".

Get the Bonneville now and wait until 2021. By then RE will have fixed whatever first year design issues they have (headstock welds on the Himalaya etc.) and Hitchcocks will be holding the spares RE UK will otherwise take years to bring in (I'm still waiting for the disc variant chain adjusters I ordered in December 2016). By 2021 the Bonneville will still be worth more so you can do a straight swap.

18 hours ago, suffolk58 said:

My favourite is the Scrambler, purely on looks.

Has anyone sorted luggage yet? The Triumph one pannier solution was a joke. Scrambler bars on a alloy wheel version would be an easy solution IMHO. The parts were very much interchangeable and I think still are as Simon showed by fixing their idiotic use of tubed tyres.

I ran my 2004 for 8 years as my only transport except when I had MZ's on the road and the Bonneville was in sidecar tug mode. There was no significant rot except for the main earth stud after an Elefant rally. The looms were less than brilliant, but could be kept up to with silicone spray and the coil placed in a perfect waterscoop under the tank was less than clever.

I'd certainly have another, although they do seem over priced now until you take into account any positives from how it looks.

Andy

• Like 3

Tex

Brian, don’t watch this! I said don’t watch!!

• Like 1

baben
1 hour ago, Tex said:

I think he liked it.

• Haha 2

Mr Toad

He's not the only one :) 

poldark

At the risk of sticking my neck way out there, there won't be any first year issues as the launch was delayed 6 months to ensure no surprises.

RE have apparently stolen some successful Honda & Yamaha bods to aasist the ex-Triumph product manager (Simon Warburton).

The Himalayan was never intended for export when designed and the big R&D investment by new CEO, plus Harris purchase, should make the Interceptor a success story.

I suspect they'll be priced closer to £7k new in a couple of years time - but I have been wrong before (don't tell my wife!)

• Like 1

Graham NZ
18 hours ago, poldark said:

Hmm.  Lack of money would be the only reason I'd consider one of those over a Bonneville Street Twin.  After seeing fork clamp fastening failures on the a friend's Himalaya I'll need a dose of faith pills to trust RE component quality too.

While those RE twins look OK they are gutless and not very light.

poldark

7kg less than a T100 on the specs I saw, I'll hold opinion on gutless till I've ridden one, certainly early reviews don't mention it.

slowboy
6 hours ago, Tex said:

Too late.....

4 hours ago, baben said:

I think he liked it.

He did...

Stop it Tex, you old temptress you😁

• Haha 2

slowboy
1 hour ago, Graham NZ said:

Hmm.  Lack of money would be the only reason I'd consider one of those over a Bonneville Street Twin.  After seeing fork clamp fastening failures on the a friend's Himalaya I'll need a dose of faith pills to trust RE component quality too.

I know about 10 people with a Himalayan and without exception they are all very pleased with them, not heard of this failure but happy to be educated.

While those RE twins look OK they are gutless and not very light.

That's the opinion of an NC owner.............and I respect that😉 Currently I'm happy with 24.5 BHP.😇

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Tex
2 hours ago, slowboy said:

Too late.....

He did...

Stop it Tex, you old temptress you😁

A temptress and beguiler. It’s on my job description.. :niceone:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Graham NZ
3 hours ago, slowboy said:

I know about 10 people with a Himalayan and without exception they are all very pleased with them, not heard of this failure but happy to be educated.

One of my riding mates had a Himalayan until a few weeks ago.  He is 80, experienced riding on road and off.  The bike was bought new. He liked a lot about it, but not everything.  The instrument cluster fogged up.  The dealer failed to repair of replace it.  It had a power loss when trying to cruise over 100km/h.  The dealer failed to cure it.  Two set screws in the lower left fork clamp sheared off!  One was noticed missing and the other sheared off when a spanner was applied to remove it.  The dealer removed the broken threaded portions and fitted new screws - but only to the one side!  Screws into alloy should strip the female thread before shearing off.

Surprisingly to me my mate is considering getting an Interceptor 650 when they arrive here in February. Or a Street Twin!