Dashwood

What Scooter?!

gonzo

Keeping a bike alone in the garage is cruel  !!!. that's why when we move this year there will be a kymco in the garage to keep the X company, Bit like having a horse in a field alone that's why you often see a donkey with it ..!  !

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Rocker66
26 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Keeping a bike alone in the garage is cruel  !!!. that's why when we move this year there will be a kymco in the garage to keep the X company, Bit like having a horse in a field alone that's why you often see a donkey with it ..!  !

Referring to the NC as a Donkey is a bit harsh.😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Rev Ken

Paul, have you thought this through? On a scooter filtering is harder as with a low seating position it lessens your ability to see ahead over car roofs. I also don't like small wheels or their CVT gearboxes as they don't respond quickly enough , especially on corners when you want to pick the bike up. For weather protection and ease of riding I would go for an Integra, even if it is a bit more than you want in a scooter. At least get one with large wheels, but I don't know of any that have 'proper' gearboxes or at least DCT boxes. (CVT around here on so many hills means it is almost impossible to keep a stead speed without a constant eye on the speedo, and that includes cars which is extremely tiring after awhile as I wanted to avoid picking up a speeding ticket!)

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 1

Tex

I, respectfully, disagree Ken. As a former Integra owner I found it lacking as it had only a few of the advantages of a scooter but nearly all the disadvantages of a motorcycle. I suspect that the tens of thousands of scooter riders who commute into Paris, Rome etc have all ‘thought it through’ and arrived at the correct (and obvious) answer. :) 

• Like 3

Andy m

Never had any trouble with the Old Boys 400 Burgervan. 30-odd HP seemed quite capable of holding a steady speed (although our attempt to get the ton was more Donald Duck than Donald Campbell) . When you crest a hill at 60 you use the brakes if it runs away a bit, it's what they are for. 

Andy

• Like 1

dave

I've had lots of Maxi-Scoots, I'm settled with my Honda 2010 FJS600 Silverwing, a twin cylinder engine mounted in the frame CVT auto. I have no problems filtering, cornering or stopping on it. It could take 2 helmets under the seat, plenty of storage space, it came to me with a Givi Vario screen, legshield wind deflectors and top box. its a very simple DIY scoot to maintain. I do notice other 300 to 400cc scoots struggle to keep up if I fancy winding it up, probably on a homeward ride.  There are still some good ones available, they stopped making them in 2012 after a ten year run. 

Before that I had a Beverly ST350 and a Burgman 400, some real bikers don't like them, but over the years many have come over to the dark side. I love them, easy to clean, good shopping trolleys and great tourers.      

• Like 8

kayz1
On 1/26/2019 at 19:20, PoppetM said:

Whats wrong with the mirrors?  And where/ how have you mounted a sat nav?

Satnag mount was on the J300 Sam.

Mirrors are not wide enough for me, being a beautiful diddy Lady :cheer: ( see lads brownie points )

they will probably be ok for you.

Lyn.

• Haha 2

pjm

I am relatively wide and found the mirrors fine on the latest model that I tested. I commented that despite it absolutely tipping down the mirrors deflected the rain and my gloves stayed dry.

• Thanks 2

Scootabout

Picking up on Rev Ken's points, usually there is a way to 'ride around' the issues regarding CVT compared to a conventional transmission, or make mods.  For example, initial take-up can be improved by changing the variator. I and many other owners fitted a Malossi upgrade to the Burgman 400 variator. It had a different 'gradient' or profile in the design of the plates that squeeze together, and lighter rollers. This removed the 'flat spot' that the Burger had on take-off and made it rev a bit higher, sooner, making it accelerate better. It transformed the bike, actually.  Some people dislike the relative lack of engine braking. But on a steep downhill stretch you can invoke it by blipping the throttle to raise the revs and it will then continue with the clutch engaged.  Slow speed manoeuvring is best done with a combination of rear brake and throttle.  And so on. 

• Like 2

Spindizzy
13 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

Picking up on Rev Ken's points, usually there is a way to 'ride around' the issues regarding CVT compared to a conventional transmission, or make mods.  For example, initial take-up can be improved by changing the variator. I and many other owners fitted a Malossi upgrade to the Burgman 400 variator. It had a different 'gradient' or profile in the design of the plates that squeeze together, and lighter rollers. This removed the 'flat spot' that the Burger had on take-off and made it rev a bit higher, sooner, making it accelerate better. It transformed the bike, actually.  Some people dislike the relative lack of engine braking. But on a steep downhill stretch you can invoke it by blipping the throttle to raise the revs and it will then continue with the clutch engaged.  Slow speed manoeuvring is best done with a combination of rear brake and throttle.  And so on. 

The Honda SH300i I had needed no mods. Immediate take-off and ok engine braking.

Same for my Suzuki small scoot. Maybe its a Burgman thing.

• Like 1

Scootabout
1 hour ago, Spindizzy said:

The Honda SH300i I had needed no mods. Immediate take-off and ok engine braking.

Same for my Suzuki small scoot. Maybe its a Burgman thing.

Quite possibly. My TMax didn't really need modifying. And the Burger was a 2000 model. They may well have corrected it since. 

• Thanks 1

Tex

Yes, Ken doesn’t say when he last rode a scooter. Or, indeed, what it was. They are continually being improved (just like bikes) and the Vespa 300, for example, gets from 0-50 mph like a rat up a drainpipe. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

horobags

I was out on my Foza yesterday, high seat lets you see ahead, electric screen makes cold winter winds a lot more acceptable, me and the wife (pillion) went out for an hour which turned into 3 hours. I made the same progress as I would on my last NC, 79.8 MPG (same as the NC), light comfy and lots of fun.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ciaran1602
2 hours ago, horobags said:

I was out on my Foza yesterday, high seat lets you see ahead, electric screen makes cold winter winds a lot more acceptable, me and the wife (pillion) went out for an hour which turned into 3 hours. I made the same progress as I would on my last NC, 79.8 MPG (same as the NC), light comfy and lots of fun.

Thats the sort of thing that draws me in. The wind protection on my NC is shocking compared to some of the bikes I’ve ridden in the past (which were half or fully faired sports tourers to be fair). I’m fed up of the wind and the rain. Two up at that distance and using next to no fuel. 

When my bonus comes along near the end of the year I suspect I’ll be making that change!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rev Ken
3 hours ago, Tex said:

Yes, Ken doesn’t say when he last rode a scooter. Or, indeed, what it was. They are continually being improved (just like bikes) and the Vespa 300, for example, gets from 0-50 mph like a rat up a drainpipe. :) 

OK I admit it. I bought a second hand Yamaha Majestic 250 some 16 years ago when I was recovering from major surgery and couldn't ride a motorcycle. I scared myself a few times as I grounded even the transmission cover when losing the rear wheel on a slippery surface that had me doing the Hokey Cokey before getting back in control. I used it for a ride from the West Coast of Cumbria to London and it destroyed my back on the M11 concrete motorway with the most appalling 'joins' that jerked my back every few yards. I was going to a conference in the university opposite the London air strip and didn't contribute much. I was also going down to help my daughter move house, but I ended u being a burden and not a help!). So perhaps my views are 'coloured'. I'm glad to hear things have improved, but I'm 'scarred'! I've ridden a few scooters but the only scooter I've enjoyed riding was a Rumi 125cc in the nineteen fifties.

I've sat on quite a few and am amazed at how large and heavy they are, as ell as the number I couldn't get my feet flat on the ground. I like their weather protection, but not a lot more!

Horses for Courses?:rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PoppetM
3 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

When my bonus comes along near the end of the year I suspect I’ll be making that change!

Blue is the fastest colour :aww:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

horobags
3 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Thats the sort of thing that draws me in. The wind protection on my NC is shocking compared to some of the bikes I’ve ridden in the past (which were half or fully faired sports tourers to be fair). I’m fed up of the wind and the rain. Two up at that distance and using next to no fuel. 

Givi have just released a screen for them too. 

Ciaran1602
39 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Blue is the fastest colour :aww:

As long as it’s gloss (as it lives outside) I don’t mind. But come on, it’ll have to be blue :angel:

PoppetM
2 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

As long as it’s gloss (as it lives outside) I don’t mind. But come on, it’ll have to be blue :angel:

Its gloss, I went to check it on Saturday 😀

trisaki
2 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Its gloss, I went to check it on Saturday 😀

You have jumped  ship , thought red was the fastest  now all of a sudden blue is , , ! 😂 think you will find that actually its black ,  especially  when it has a 2300 engine to power it 😂 ( my new beast ) 

Edited by trisaki
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Rocker66
13 minutes ago, trisaki said:

You have jumped  ship , thought red was the fastest  now all of a sudden blue is , , ! 😂 think you will find that actually its black ,  especially  when it has a 2300 engine to power it 😂 ( my new beast ) 

Always liked the Rocket 3 but sadly I don’t have a HGV licence.😂😂

Actually I came very close to buying one but that was a proper one made by BSA.😀😀

• Haha 2

Tex

28 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Actually I came very close to buying one but that was a proper one made by BSA.😀😀

In that wonderful deep red metallic? Oh! Be still my beating heart! I would love one. Just to sit and look at.. ;) 

• Like 2

Rocker66
1 minute ago, Tex said:

In that wonderful deep red metallic? Oh! Be still my beating heart! I would love one. Just to sit and look at.. ;) 

Yes it was and with the Ray gun silencers.

• Like 2

Andy m

I always thought the Rocket3 (the new one) was prime sidecar tug material. You know, towing a caravan, that sort of outfit. 

Andy

• Haha 3

Tex
12 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Yes it was and with the Ray gun silencers.

For the benefit of younger readers, this is what we’re talking about! :) 

• Like 4