Dashwood

What Scooter?!

Marvincon

Did the Trident start with upright cylinders as opposed to the BSA sloping?

• Like 1

trisaki
1 hour ago, Tex said:

For the benefit of younger readers, this is what we’re talking about! :) 

Fantastic noise out of that triple lump ,  30 or so t150 / t160 and rocket 3 hurtling  around brands hatch was a noise and feeling  I will never  forget 

• Like 1

Ciaran1602
2 hours ago, Tex said:

For the benefit of younger readers, this is what we’re talking about! :) 

Rather a different affair than the modern one; for starters it doesn’t have to have ‘convoi exceptionnel’ plastered to the back of it.

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Tex
1 hour ago, Marvincon said:

Did the Trident start with upright cylinders as opposed to the BSA sloping?

Indeed it did. All versions of the T150 Trident had the cylinder block vertical. The later T160 variant had the sloping cylinders of the A75 BSA (to allow room for a starter motor which sat below the carbs).

I was heavily involved in racing such a triple (it was an A75 engine converted to electric start in a modified T160 frame and entered as a ‘Triumph’).

Happy days! Some of my happiest ever. :niceone:

• Like 2

Tex
44 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Rather a different affair than the modern one; for starters it doesn’t have to have ‘convoi exceptionnel’ plastered to the back of it.

It was considered a ‘big’ bike at the time (and heavy too). See one now and you’re struck by how compact it is. It’s not got any smaller (obviously :D ) it’s just that modern bikes have just grown bigger and fatter with every generation! It made (I think) 58 hp which was so far in advance of anything previously available that Dunlop had to design a new rear tyre specially for the model. Triumph tester Percy Tait could destroy a standard K70 tyre in a single morning.. 

baben

Typical of this forum. this is a SCOOTER thread!:dielaugh:

Talking of which, I hate em but my little brother has a Silverwing and it certainly shifts. We go touring together and he has so much luggage space I am green with envy. But I have 136bhp and the best motor ever built by Triumph so we are evens.

• Haha 1

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, Tex said:

It was considered a ‘big’ bike at the time (and heavy too). See one now and you’re struck by how compact it is. It’s not got any smaller (obviously :D ) it’s just that modern bikes have just grown bigger and fatter with every generation! It made (I think) 58 hp which was so far in advance of anything previously available that Dunlop had to design a new rear tyre specially for the model. Triumph tester Percy Tait could destroy a standard K70 tyre in a single morning.. 

That would be the TT100 if Imremember correctly.

Back in the 60s there used to be a guy come down to the now defunct Half Way Cafe at Harrietsham on the A20 riding a Rob North framed Trident with proper race fairing. The bike was named Voodoo2. 

Rocker66
1 hour ago, trisaki said:

Fantastic noise out of that triple lump ,  30 or so t150 / t160 and rocket 3 hurtling  around brands hatch was a noise and feeling  I will never  forget 

Brings back memories of the original American Match Races where both teams rode BSA/Triumph Triples.

• Like 1

Marvincon

Tex. Were the first Trident and Rocket engines entirely different or did they share components and were the later engines identical. A scooter thread?

Tex
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

That would be the TT100 if Imremember correctly.

Yep. Originally called the K81 it was re-named TT100 in celebration of Malcom Uphill’s first ever 100 mph lap of the TT on a production machine (1969).

1 hour ago, Marvincon said:

Tex. Were the first Trident and Rocket engines entirely different or did they share components and were the later engines identical. A scooter thread?

They shared a lot of parts but the crankcase (and covers) were different. The later T160 was different because it used a ‘Triumph’ type timing cover rather than the smooth BSA one. 

Both Triumph (who invented CVT by the way) and BSA made scooters - and I’m happy to talk about those too. Although I can’t really think of anything good to say.. ;):D 

lipsee

If BSA had,nt gone belly up ,I wonder what they would be doing today,,,I mean in the 40s/50s they where abit like Honda is today "Top Dog" at least as far as production,,,   I had one of the last Thunderbolts and a very fine bike it was... I always like BSAs paint jobs and just tasteful styling.... There have been rumors of BSA coming back ,but unless its made in Birmingham I can,t see the point...

• Like 1

pjm

Looks lovely. Especially with real working mudguards 😁

macamx

Remember this little beauty, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_Sam

Geoff.

Probab;y wouldn't get away with the name these days.  :angel:

• Haha 1

Tex

Geoff, yes, the one we raced looked exactly like Sam. I wanted to call it ‘Slippery Dick’ but was overruled.. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rocker66
10 hours ago, lipsee said:

If BSA had,nt gone belly up ,I wonder what they would be doing today,,,I mean in the 40s/50s they where abit like Honda is today "Top Dog" at least as far as production,,,   I had one of the last Thunderbolts and a very fine bike it was... I always like BSAs paint jobs and just tasteful styling.... There have been rumors of BSA coming back ,but unless its made in Birmingham I can,t see the point...

Why would they need to be made in Birmingham after all Triumph are no longer made in Meridian or Royal Enfields in Redditch? I know that the B in BSA stands for Birmingham but I’m sure if the design quality and pricewere right they would sell wherever they were made.

Personally if they were to make a bike equivalent to the Bonnie I would buy the BSA just on the basis of nostalgia. 

I have been watching  and reading reviews of the new RE 650 and really like what I have seen and if it had BSA on the tank with the appropriate paint job I would be even more interested.

• Like 1

Tex

Yeah, nothing is made in the U.K. anymore. I bought a new TV and it had a sticker saying ‘Built-in Antenna’. Never ever heard of the place..

;):D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Rocker66
1 minute ago, Andy m said:

Enfield/Mahindra own the name

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/november/bsa-back-in-2019/

The 650 Enfield could have used the name if they were going to, so who knows. 

Andy

Since that article Mahindra have dropped out of developing Moto3 bikes to concentrate on electric vehicles so I’m not holding my breath.

DMB

I don't wish to derail this thread, as it's taken a splendid trip down Memory Lane, but may I raise a technical question which will exercise some of the fine engineering minds on this forum (yes, Tex, I'm thinking in particular of yours, but I also include embee, Spindizzy, Trisaki and several others)?

We have heard much praise for the Forza 300.  However, if one is buying one with a view to doing some high commuting miles, which engine is going to last longer before major surgery: a Forza 300 or an NC750?  Will the Forza do significantly fewer miles because it is having to work much harder?

PoppetM

Not sure I want to read the answer.... 🤣

I imagine on a modern engine they would last the same as long as you dont sit everywhere at top speed and have them serviced regularly?

A 1.0 litre engine has same life expectancy as a 2.0 litre?

Tyres may need replacing sooner bur they are only 2 inches smaller thenthe NC, and a 20,000 mile life belt is already going to save me money from a 9,000 mile chain....

• Like 2

Andy m

How long is a piece of string? 

You'd think the much bigger engine doing slightly more work because its a bit heavier would last longer. Its heavier construction to stand full power will turn to extended life when worked at a, lower percentage. What you don't know is where the critical points are. If they picked a bearing or grade of metal somewhere and got it slightly wrong that'll go and take the rest with it. 

Personally I think both, well maintained and on average will last 100000 miles and will be scrapped because the last owner wants a newer one and no one wants to buy a 20 year old 50000 miler. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andy m
3 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

a 20,000 mile life belt is already going to save me money from a 9,000 mile chain....

How many hours to change the belt? What gaskets etc. are used? Its like shafts, could be a similar total just with different payment intervals. 

Andy

PoppetM
1 minute ago, Andy m said:

How many hours to change the belt? What gaskets etc. are used? Its like shafts, could be a similar total just with different payment intervals. 

Andy

I got told its £445 for 16,000 service including belts and rollers, but anticipated coukd get 20K out of them. So works out the same cost as it was to service Harriet as she always needed a chain at the 16,000 interval or shortly afterwards. 

• Thanks 1

Andy m

I'm coming to the conclusion that the way to save on servicing is to plan selling to coincide with 2.5mm of tread and a thousand miles to the oil change. The dealers may try it on as a reason not to give you a deal, but ultimately either deal or don't. They won't increase your trade in value by £445 if you book a service there and then.

Andy 

• Like 1

fred_jb

Did that with my GS - got dealer to agree to take care of expensive 12k service.  Another dealer insisted on me doing this before they would accept bike as a trade-in, so the trade-in I did was worth more to me, especially as the valuation was also a little higher.

I had kept the original, less than half worn tyres, which I had taken off before a long tour, so put those back on for the trade-in to replace the almost worn out ones on the bike.

• Like 4