Jump to content
PoppetM

How do you mount your Sat Nag?

Recommended Posts

PoppetM

Ok so I know my existing mount will not work as it was mounted on the handlebars, this is assuming the charging mount actually makes it back to me from the insurers, I have requested it. I may need to update my Sat Nav. But can’t fathom how I will fit it. 

 

You all have different bikes, so how have you mounted them?

Presumably a lot of you use existing bars, handlebar and RAM mounts?

Does anyone fit it to their windshield like in a car? Is it safe?

Has anyone used those 3M sticky tabs? Always a bit wary of being hit in the chest as it then whistles over my left shoulder.

I have a lip over the speedo like a peak, has anyone clamped to this if they have a peak similar? 

 

I dont want want to be drilling or damaging any part of the bike And Wing mirror mounts are not an option. 

 

Thanks in advance. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
pjm

Worth looking at a ram mount that will fit to the top of the left or right brake fluid reservoir. I have found mounting to the top left works well with a Sat nav.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
7 minutes ago, pjm said:

Worth looking at a ram mount that will fit to the top of the left or right brake fluid reservoir. I have found mounting to the top left works well with a Sat nav.

 

 

Ah, really like that idea!  So do you just put longer screws through the top of the reservoir replacing the original screws?

 

Found it, and answered my own question about the screws! Ta Peter!

Edited by PoppetM

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
14 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

 

 

Ah, really like that idea!  So do you just put longer screws through the top of the reservoir replacing the original screws?

 

Found it, and answered my own question about the screws! Ta Peter!

I googled mounting a satnav on Honda Forza 300 and after google got over the shock of me asking about a scooter it came up with some useful links.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
Just now, Rocker66 said:

I googled mounting a satnav on Honda Forza 300 and after google got over the shock of me asking about a scooter it came up with some useful links.

 

I have tried over last few days and they were only showing those Oxford strap cases, and a 3M sticky pad, so was wondering if anyone had used the latter?

I am preferring it to be screwed in as per Peter’s suggestion. 

 one user on MaxiMuppets has drilled through the handlebar...I won’t be doing that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
pjm

There is a bar on that auction site that fixes to the top of both brake reservoirs but. Have found just the left with the RAM mount always worked well. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
9 hours ago, pjm said:

There is a bar on that auction site that fixes to the top of both brake reservoirs but. Have found just the left with the RAM mount always worked well. 

I saw that but lile you if I can just fit to a reservoir that will do for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

3M sticky pads work if they are genuine 3m and you take your time with the wipes, make sure your hands are clean etc. They are how half the bits on the dashboard are fitted in the factory. 3-M from China and a salt covered screen will ruin your day, so the reservoir mounts are probably still a safer choice. 

 

Andy

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
pjm

Just a thought, as a belt and braces approach, I always fit a thin tether to the sat nav and then use a Velcro strap around a suitable point as a fail safe. Saved my Garmin once when I had failed to click it in to the mount properly. The type of thing used on a GoPro and cheap on various sites.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM

Good thinking!

 

Share this post


Link to post
DaveM59

On the Forza it's easy. Pop off the little central plastic cover on the handlebars and use a simple Ram ball screwed straight into one of the two available captive nuts on the panel below. Feed up your power supply from the socket in the glovebox through a convenient slot in the lower handlebar cover and leave it tied round the ball and clip the panel back on when not using the GPS.

This way there are no ugly mountings permanently on display going rusty and the wiring can be permanently fitted and concealed and it takes seconds to pop off the cover and attach a ram clamp to the ball. When the GPS is fitted it's visible and doesn't get in the way of  seeing the dash either. Nor does it wobble about!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Croydonscooter
3 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

On the Forza it's easy. Pop off the little central plastic cover on the handlebars and use a simple Ram ball screwed straight into one of the two available captive nuts on the panel below. Feed up your power supply from the socket in the glovebox through a convenient slot in the lower handlebar cover and leave it tied round the ball and clip the panel back on when not using the GPS.

This way there are no ugly mountings permanently on display going rusty and the wiring can be permanently fitted and concealed and it takes seconds to pop off the cover and attach a ram clamp to the ball. When the GPS is fitted it's visible and doesn't get in the way of  seeing the dash either. Nor does it wobble about!

How funny I too did exactly the same thing.  If I don't need the sat nag then simply unscrew the ball joint mount and pop the cover back on thus keeping the weather off the mini usb plug as they can rust.  

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM

Ok will take a look when the bike arrives, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
DaveM59

8zz1qtRi0pMZ51KGs1zdYar1ZzLAibdD8XPk68oJ

I took the + feed from the brakelight switch and grounded to the bars themselves with a convenient screw. A smear of silicone grease in and around the USB connector  stops the possibility of corrosion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

The latest from Pooratrek

 

As much Blue Peter as Blue Tooth, but at least if I'm really stuck for a plastic straw I can just peel back the stick plastic.

 

Of course, you Scooterboys (and Girls) can't really do tank bags.

 

Andy

Edited by Andy m

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
43 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The latest from Pooratrek

 

As much Blue Peter as Blue Tooth, but at least if I'm really stuck for a plastic straw I can just peel back the stick plastic.

 

Of course, you Scooterboys (and Girls) can't really do tank bags.

 

Andy

Andy you stand corrected! On the Forza a bag that fits over the centre tunnel very much like a tank bag is available 😁

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Exceledsteve

Love it! Whatever the circumstances there's always the possibility of a shopping opportunity. By the time I get mine Sam I'm coming to you for reviews on all the Forza products.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM

Ok so I may have been shopping around and seeing what I can accesorize it with...

Only have RAM mount and cover in the basket so far....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

Are you getting yours with a top box or without?

 

In answer to the OP, I use Apple Maps on my phone in my pocket. I've only had to do it a couple of times but so far haven't found the lack of a visual representation TOO problematic.


Would the TomTom Vio be worth a go? EDIT: just seen reviews. Absolutely not.

Edited by Ciaran1602

Share this post


Link to post
kayz1
10 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Ok will take a look when the bike arrives, thank you!

Sam, if you want to do it the way Dave has i can pop you a Ram Type ball in the post.

If you want to fit it to the Handle bar filler cap i can measure up and make one of those.

And pop it in the post..

Edit: Honda seem to do a mount that fits in the centre bit where Dave said fit the Ram ball....#

It is for a Mobile phone thou, worth checking with your dealer> i do not use mobi, i find it hard

enough to make a call on it:oldfart:

Lyn.

Edited by kayz1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
7 hours ago, kayz1 said:

Sam, if you want to do it the way Dave has i can pop you a Ram Type ball in the post.

If you want to fit it to the Handle bar filler cap i can measure up and make one of those.

And pop it in the post..

Edit: Honda seem to do a mount that fits in the centre bit where Dave said fit the Ram ball....#

It is for a Mobile phone thou, worth checking with your dealer> i do not use mobi, i find it hard

enough to make a call on it:oldfart:

Lyn.

Thanks Lyn. Will have a look at the bike when i get it. 

My phone is usually off. Husband is irritated I cant pair iPod and mobile to headset at same time, means I get a peaceful ride rather then the "when will you be home" 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
White Skark

I fitted mine to the rear brake reservoir, I got a new top complete with ram ball mounted to the side, I got them from the states, as the Gl1800, St110 Pan and the Integra all have the same reservoirs I bought 2 and can swap them around, I will try and find where I got them from and post it on here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
MikeBike

I can recommend the RAM X grip mounts for holding a smartphone.

https://www.rammount.com/product-lines/x-grip

Have the RAM ball mount on a Bruudt screen bracket, another replacing one on the centre handlebar bolts.

I replaced the large plastic wingnuts with a recessed allen bolt and plastic thread-locking nut so someone cant just walk off with it. I dont have the rubber strap in this pic and its been fine. Phone is not in a case but has some tape over holes and usb cable entry. Fine behind screen.

powersports_050_featured-e1535066420437.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Argyll

My plan for the Forza is to use decent velcro to stick a cheap phone holder (see pic) to the centre of the dash which will allow for easy removal at fuel stops etc. Just unplug and pop out the phone. Power will come from the 12V socket in the glove box, as others have done. Main downside is the velcro showing when the phone isn't in use.

 

IMG-20190131-102545346-HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
21 hours ago, MikeBike said:

I can recommend the RAM X grip mounts for holding a smartphone.

https://www.rammount.com/product-lines/x-grip

Have the RAM ball mount on a Bruudt screen bracket, another replacing one on the centre handlebar bolts.

I replaced the large plastic wingnuts with a recessed allen bolt and plastic thread-locking nut so someone cant just walk off with it. I dont have the rubber strap in this pic and its been fine. Phone is not in a case but has some tape over holes and usb cable entry. Fine behind screen.

powersports_050_featured-e1535066420437.

 

Can’t fit it to the handle bars of a Forza, but that is how I fitted it to my bike.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×