PoppetM

How do you mount your Sat Nag?

Andy m

I used a X-thingy last year. Works well.

On 29/01/2019 at 08:27, PoppetM said:

My phone is usually off. Husband is irritated I cant pair iPod and mobile to headset at same time, means I get a peaceful ride rather then the "when will you be home" 🤣

Mine is on and paired to my lid, but I've made it clear enough that its for music and the sat nag if I choose to use it. My wife has taken 10 years to learn my reaction to "the diswasher is making funny noises" when I'm a hundred miles away will not end well.

I'm impressed the co-pilot app. Needs a phone signal to match a full sat nag but my bill is paid by work so I don't care if it use data. £14 to download when I got it a few years back.

Andy

• Like 1

MikeBike
11 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Can’t fit it to the handle bars of a Forza, but that is how I fitted it to my bike.

There's a mirror mount ram ball too. It's a ball with a tabbed washer so it fits where the mirror arms screw in.

PoppetM
8 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

There's a mirror mount ram ball too. It's a ball with a tabbed washer so it fits where the mirror arms screw in.

The mirrors on the forza are similar to those you get on the car, built into tge body not on arms, but thank you :flowers:

Argyll
33 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

The mirrors on the forza are similar to those you get on the car, built into tge body not on arms, but thank you :flowers:

But there are a couple of screw-in blanks which can be removed to reveal standard mirror threads. Have a look beside the brake levers.

• Thanks 1

DaveM59

I use these redundant mirror mounts to secure my wind deflectors but a screw in ball mount could still be used but my ram ball thread is too small. You may need an adaptor or a different ram ball with the 8 or is it 10mm thread.

kayz1

I will look at mine Dave and see what i can come up with..

MikeBike
2 hours ago, kayz1 said:

I will look at mine Dave and see what i can come up with..

I think @DaveM59 was trying to help/advise Sam @PoppetM

kayz1

Yes Mike, i was going to make Sam a pair of Balls:muttley: (for the Forza) when we/She/me/Dave find the best place to mount it..

Lyn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PoppetM
On 01/02/2019 at 18:59, kayz1 said:

Yes Mike, i was going to make Sam a pair of Balls:muttley: (for the Forza) when we/She/me/Dave find the best place to mount it..

Lyn.

No balls required..... Sat Nag holder arrived last night from the Salvage Team, the ball is on the stalk of the Sat Nag base, so it needs a socket thingy....

If that made any sense!!!!!

DaveM59

Not really, can you post a piccy? 

pjm

You are going to need a ball mounted somewhere on the bike and then the small, medium or long extension clamp. It is basically two plates held together by a bolt and wing nut. The ends are shaped to clamp to the balls. One on the bike and then one in the mount itself.

MikeBike
11 minutes ago, pjm said:

You are going to need a ball mounted somewhere on the bike and then the small, medium or long extension clamp. It is basically two plates held together by a bolt and wing nut. The ends are shaped to clamp to the balls. One on the bike and then one in the mount itself.

Assuming it's a RAM sized ball on the sat nav, the bit Peter is describing is the bit in the middle of the photo in my post on page 1

PoppetM

The ball is fitted to the back of the holder, so It looks like I need a clamp bit mounted on the bike for the ball to fit into, apologies can’t post a pic at the moment! 

PoppetM

Sorry for delay. I found my box of tricks :ahappy:

So here is a photo of the ball joint fixed to the rear of the sat nav cradle from that it went into the arms which then went round the handlebar of the NCS.

I have these two pieces which looks like they go together...

One is goes through a screw into the redundant wing mirror fixing on the the Forza's handlebars - any idea what type of screw is needed? Then the L shaped bracket sits on top to hold the sat nav cradle.

Any other bright ideas??

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153918776@N06/shares/pC577W

In an ideal world I would bolt it to the top of the brake reservoir but the brackets look square to me!

Edited by PoppetM

pjm

So get the ram male ball fitting that either mounts to the brake reservoir or the ram male ball fitting that goes in to the redundant mirror mount. It’s either going to be 8 or 10mm. One of our Forza owners will answer that. You then use a ram extension to clamp to the existing ball on the back of your sat nav holder and on to the ball you have fitted to the bike. 

• Thanks 1

pjm

If you go on that river site they have 8 & 10mm mounts and extension pieces and are known for prompt delivery. Just needs one of the Forza boys to confirm which size you need to go in the redundant mirror hole.

• Thanks 1

Mr Toad

Sam I believe that that all RAM mounts have a 1 inch ball as do the various satnavs. What you then need is to connect the two and for this RAM sell a number of different length connecting bars.

ram-mount-motorcycle-accessories-union-garage-extensions.jpg.a6b8a119ccf47620199de570df7eec0a.jpg

This one is the brake/clutch reservoir mount.

images.jpeg.a4785f946d3dba2fd8e139240d068a21.jpeg

Other manufacturers have spotted the gap in the RAM market and you can buy a 1 inch socket like this, great if there's somewhere to mount it on the bike/scooter.

main_07_2.jpg.94dc4823c4fe5ab4e96fd47e005bf9ea.jpg

• Thanks 1

PoppetM
On 27/01/2019 at 20:43, pjm said:

Worth looking at a ram mount that will fit to the top of the left or right brake fluid reservoir. I have found mounting to the top left works well with a Sat nav.

Have bought various pieces that don’t fit the Sat Nav but managed to fit a socket somehow to the back of it and the fluid reservoir mount. Hoping it’s sturdy enough, it feels quite heavy when the Sat nav is attached and concerned I could only fit 2screws not four.

One question, did you use anti-seize compound before putting the screws in? Hoping I can get this from Honda on Saturday when I pitch up brandishing it. Also hoping they fit it too :angel:

pjm

They will have something like coppaslip or equivalent. I have found the reservoir fittings fine. I put a small sliver of anti slip rubber between the mount and top of the reservoir just to keep it nice. Weather looks good for tomorrow. Enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

Rincewind921

Rally raid do a sat nav mount for the handlebar brace. Looks decent and considering it myself for my Garmin.

Hacknslash

I've got brackets mounted on each side of the screen via the screen bolts. then a bar is fitted between the two bars like this 

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/192890298464?ul_noapp=true

then got one of these 

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/Genuine-RAM-Motorcycle-Brake-Clutch-Handlebar-Mount-with-1-Ball-RAM-B-309-1-/112404304428

I threw the ubolt anf nuts etc into my spares bin and made a straight bar with a nick into and bolted it to the above bracket.

My sat nag clips to the ram ball via adjustable bracket eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-Mounts-Double-Socket-Arm/dp/B00CIG5U6S/ref=asc_df_B00CIG5U6S/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310868534774&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4571943639430815852&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045795&hvtargid=pla-707335215526&psc=1

Then you have an uncle Bob.

The power comes from an accessory plug connected in the accessory socket in the frunk. This means its quick and easy to install if I need GPS on a trip.

If you need additional photos let me know.

Ian

GerJ

See here for another option; it seems a waste of space to post it twice.