Stainless Steel Caliper pin

CWG

Hi,

Apologies if the answer to this is buried within this forum but I'm rubbish as searching, anyone know wheeler I can get some stainless steel caliper pins for my all year NC750s - 2015?

Thanks

Martin

I changed mine for titanium - been very good and not expensive, will look up we’re I got them

• Like 1

Titanium here as well and same source. Does the job and survives our salted roads.

wingrider.steve

I've got one of the above pins for my rear caliper but the front one has a different pin.

Does anyone know where I can get similar caliper pins (stainless steel or titanium) for the front caliper?

Edited by wingrider.steve

Start at the front page of that website and look for parts for your bike in the selector boxes, they do all the front/rear variants in stainless/titanium/race (wired) styles.

On the subject, there are pros and cons for both stainless steel and titanium when fitted into aluminium alloy threads. Titanium can suffer "galling" where the threads pick-up and seize. It's probably not a great issue with a pad retaining pin which is not really tightened that much and doesn't get any real loading applied to the threads, but if you consider using them for other applications you may well find stainless will pose less of a risk, you still need to use a suitable anti-seize paste/grease and be aware of electrolytic corrosion effects (especially with salt around), but at least stainless is less likely to grab onto aluminium. IIRC correctly you are advised to use a nickel based anti-seize compound with both stainless and titanium into alum alloys (stand to be corrected). Copper grease probably isn't the right stuff, a mixture of alum, copper, and titanium probably makes an effective battery when wet. ;) Personally I'd use stainless in preference when weight isn't the primary factor.

Edited by embee
  • Like 2
wingrider.steve
2 hours ago, embee said:

Start at the front page of that website and look for parts for your bike in the selector boxes, they do all the front/rear variants in stainless/titanium/race (wired) styles.

I've been there, done that but they only list the rear pin.

wingrider.steve

I'll try phoning them on Monday.

If you look here https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2015/NC750XAE/Frame/FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER/71520/F_10/2/25739

you can click on the part numbers in the fiche lsitings and it will come up with the applications where a part is used. Accordingly this https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts/43215KZ4J41 suggests the NC750 front pad pin is common on CB1000/CB1300, so if you can find either of those listed then it could be a winner.

wingrider.steve

Yep, tried that as well!!

• Like 1

Its not just the pins on all weather Bikes, the Pistons lose their plating pretty badly too and corrode up at the edge backwards. Mine are pretty bad after two years. Shame on you Honda. They started to flake at the edge during the first winter.

Edited by Trumpet
9 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Its not just the pins on all weather Bikes, the Pistons lose their plating pretty badly too and corrode up at the edge backwards. Mine are pretty bad after two years. Shame on you Honda. They started to flake at the edge during the first winter.

We get the bikes we deserve. We can hardly complain when we rush out to buy bikes with naked drive chains. It’s perfectly possible to design and build an all weather machine but, if that’s not a concern for 95% of buyers, where’s the incentive to do so?

DaveM59

This comes back again to the concept held by manufacturers that unlike cars, bikes are dry summer recreational vehicles not built to last or be resistive in any way to the elements other than a quick downpour.

It's about time that this notion of 'riding season' was dropped and a lot of that comes from the press and also the dealers themselves.

11 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

This comes back again to the concept held by manufacturers that unlike cars, bikes are dry summer recreational vehicles not built to last or be resistive in any way to the elements other than a quick downpour.

But, that’s exactly how the vast majority of big (say, over 250cc) bikes are used. :) 

11 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

It's about time that this notion of 'riding season' was dropped and a lot of that comes from the press and also the dealers themselves.

Dealers would love motorcycles to be used all year round! As it is they have to (try) to make enough money during the ‘season’ to see them through the ‘lean’ months when staff, bills, etc still need to be paid.

DaveM59

Agreed but if dealers would like this why do so many host 'End of Season Bash' type events? (Google motorcycle end of season) Many dealers advertise these things so encourage no further visits so seem to be shooting themselves in the foot a bit.

I went into Blackpool Honda on Saturday afternoon and there were a few people there looking round but the biggest group were standing outside chatting as since the premises split from the car dealership they no longer have the coffee shop and indoor seating they had before.

1 hour ago, DaveM59 said:

Agreed but if dealers would like this why do so many host 'End of Season Bash' type events?

In an an effort to get rid of current stock! Because motorcycle clothing and helmets are ‘fashion led’ this year’s colours will be obsolete by next season (how many different ‘Valentino Rossi’ AGV replicas are there? Fifteen or twenty at a guess. Who wants to be sitting on 2 dozen ‘last year’s colour’ £400 helmets? Not me!

Many dealers advertise these things so encourage no further visits so seem to be shooting themselves in the foot a bit.

Yeah, take your point. Not entirely sure it’s a good idea even though I understand why they do it. ;) 

I went into Blackpool Honda on Saturday afternoon and there were a few people there looking round but the biggest group were standing outside chatting as since the premises split from the car dealership they no longer have the coffee shop and indoor seating they had before.

I went to Blackpool Honda once! Big new building on an estate outside of town? Opposite Derek Woodman’s BMW dealership?

I asked the guy I spoke to if it was the Derek Woodman? He said “Dunno! Never ‘eard of ‘im. But there’s an old boy in the workshop might know..”

He disappeared for a couple of minutes before coming back and saying “Apparently, it is the same bloke, but we think he’s retired or dead or something..”  

• Haha 1
DaveM59

The Derek Woodman in Blackpool would be the one that used to have the BMW dealership on Vicarage Lane and further into town earlier than that long before the development near the end of the M55 existed. It's now Lloyds. He used to be a racing driver I believe but don't know anything about him.

Rocker66
16 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

The Derek Woodman in Blackpool would be the one that used to have the BMW dealership on Vicarage Lane and further into town earlier than that long before the development near the end of the M55 existed. It's now Lloyds. He used to be a racing driver I believe but don't know anything about him.

He was a motorcycle racer back in the 60s.he competed in thecTT and Grand Prixs.  If my memory serves me to he had some success on MZs.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

He was a motorcycle racer back in the 60s.he competed in thecTT and Grand Prixs.  If my memory serves me to he had some success on MZs.

That’s the fellow. Bloody good rider in his day! I was glad to learn he had ‘done alright’ for himself after he gave up racing. Blackpool born and bred. :niceone:

11-B46069-929-D-482-A-AE5-B-7-F57-F1-ED0

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
TheEnglishman

I'm reluctant to use stainless to replace steel parts in 'mission critical' places.  If you clean the calliper each month - 30 mins with a tooth brush and various greases - the callipers and pins last practically forever.  Mine are 60k and 5 winters in and still look ok.

And I always use copper grease on things that get hot - 'cos it doesn't turn into loctite when it cools down.  But then I don't leave such parts on for years before removing them....