Steve1960

Stolen Tmax

Steve1960

Hello fellow bikers.......some thieving @#£&* decided they liked my Black Tmax DX KU18DFG parked,chained up and covered,Vodaphone tracking service phoned me up 01.50 hours,i went out to check and sure enough its gone,cut through the thick Oxford chain,4 people,they had two bikes as well,tied ropes around the tmax and dragged it away,i guess they had a van at the top of my road,my nieghbour see them,the noise woke them up.I then had to call the police from my end while Vodaphone spoke to the police from their end,i got a crime number and probably wont see the police.I went out in the car for a drive around,while doing that Vodaphone phoned up to get my crime number,i told them i was out on the road searching,they advised me not to,so came back home,made myself a cup of tea and went on the Tmax/Vodaphone App,but because of the reported theft wouldn’t allow me on to the tracking facility,i guess for owners safety.

The cover on my other bike,the X ADV had been moved,as i could now see the registration number,so it makes me think it wasn’t random,but targeted.......

Just trying to calm down at the moment......

Steve

• Sad 10

Steve1960

UPDATE.........

Tracker activated at 01.49hrs...Saturday 2 Feb,Vodaphone/Tracking just phoned me at 03.22 hrs.....4 arrests,my tmax + 2 other stolen bikes and a Van......he said probably best to wait an hour until i phone the police on the 101 number......as to the condition of my Tmax,i’ll just have to wait and see :?:  i guess the fact that Max had a tracker has got the other two bike owners their bikes back!!!!!!!

I’ll update you later......still really f@#£&*+ off though

Steve

Edited by Steve1960
  • Like 8
  • Sad 2

pjm

Terrible news they stole it but fantastic news that it has been recovered and four ‘gentleman’ of the night detained. Fingers crossed no damage. Keep us updated.

Edited by pjm
  • Like 2

Andy m

Fingers crossed its not too bad. 

I'm really glad to hear about the arrests though. The more get caught the more they'll turn to other sorts of crime or maybe even give up.

I think you need a bit of brekkie and a sit down. What is is. They sound like steal to sell to me, so hopefully not too much damage. 

Andy

• Like 1

macamx

Hope they stick each one in a cell with a huge pervert but the chances are the system will apologise to them, for not meeting their needs and you will receive advice about being so careless and accused of a " hate crime" for reporting them. But seriously, I hope that it has suffered no damage but having had two bikes stolen in the past I know exactly how you feel and it ain't nice,

Geoff.

Edited by macamx
  • Like 1

Tex

Your first post, Steve, made me feel sick with a mixture of anger and despair. What a thing to wake up to.. But then your update lifted my mood right back to normal. Thanks. Hopefully you’re not going to get a nasty surprise when you see your T-Max again and I really, really hope the scum bags don’t just walk free. 

Well done to both yourself and Vodaphone, though. Good effort! Good result! :niceone:

• Like 3

riders in the storm

An excellent result by the police then despite your initial fears......:hmm:

Now the defence solicitors can get busy using tax payers money saying how plod have got the wrong people, they just found the bike and were trying to get it back to its rightful owner, they came from a broken home, they have a medical condition, they're good people really blah blah...

Then the courts can get busy and hand down a really stiff sentence, you know £100 fine paid at £5 per week out of the benefits that you and I pay them.....

Very sorry to hear your news.....

• Like 3

Tex

Somewhere in the back of my mind comes a voice from the past “Cut their thieving ‘ands orf!’

Things were simpler back then..

• Like 1

Rocker66

Great that the thieves got arrested. I would like to think that they will get what they deserve but as others have said I very much doubt it.

Hope your bike is ok.

baben

Would be nice to see an example made of the scrotes. I suspect thy will already have a long career of criminality in the past so chances are good they will get sent down - won't be a magistrates court for this sort of thing so chances of a realistic sentence.  Really sorry you had to go through this but really pleased to hear the tracker did its work!

makman

Very good to hear the tracker did its job.  Hopefully the thieves will be sentenced properly.  Hope your bike is safe and sound and good that others were recovered because you have a tracker fitted. 

Andy m

A bit early, but while this is in my head one way to try and get the courts to do more is a victim impact statement. Its all a bit snowflakey, and honestly embarrassing, but play them at their own game and use their buzzwords. No stiff upper lip, get it in how it makes you feel unsafe, used, fearful etc. The court shouldn't need an excuse to jail them, but giving them one can help. 

Andy

• Like 5

embee

Echo the others, sorry for your experience but glad at least they were caught. I bet the police were pleased too, they do get a lot of flack but I'm sure they really do want to get the scrotes.

Assuming this was in Northampton as per your location, I worked at a company in Northampton on contract over a few years, and we regularly had warnings about vans touring the industrial estates lifting both pedal and motor bikes. My company installed a cage for pedal bikes and motorbikes could be parked at the rear of the site, at least minimising the risks. Quite a lot of "undesirables" in that area.

Just shows the value of trackers. I believe in warning labels, it just might (maybe) put one or two of them off and they'll move on to the next bike, not a lot of consolation to having the bike stolen then recovered, I'd prefer it wasn't stolen in the first place. If they take it and rip it apart to find the tracker they probably would have taken it anyway.

wpbrown

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but impressive results from the tracker. Hope your bike's not damaged.

Maybe something the rest of without should consider. What tracking device do you use?

tomcat

I would try to maintain contact with the officer in charge of your case. Get a court date, and notify the local Motorcycle Action Group and any other local biking groups. A heavy court attendance by the biking fraternity might sway the sentence, and would get the scrotes faces known to the group.

• Like 1

alhendo1

Sorry to hear about this incident...must've made you feel sick to know it was stolen....hopefully not too much damage...great result with the tracker though.

Steve1960

Max was found about 30/40 minutes after the tracker alert was activated,about a mile from my gaff,also found two other stolen bikes and an angle grinder,police have been round for a statement and i have given vodaphone tracker permission to let the police have any route details from their tracker programme....

Insurance broker informed(Carole Nash)but the insurance company also need to speak to me as well and they dont work on a Saturday  so thats a job for Monday,also need to go to the recovery yard to see if its trashed,then CN will move it out to one of their locations,if its minor damage it’ll be assessed then i guess moved on to one of CN’s approved repair workshops.....so no work for me on Monday.......

I’ve took the precaution of putting a second lock & chain on the Honda rear wheel + a disc lock on the front wheel.....

Steve

• Like 3

Steve1960

Well what a nightmare with the insurance company i’ve had when trying to get the TMax repaired,i reported the theft to the brokers who in turn informed me i also need to go through the same procedure with the actual Insurance Company,the insurance company then asked me why the scooter was’nt parked in a brick built garage at my address,i then explained i never declared it to be kept in a brick built garage,i have always told the brokers,its parked in a communal bike shed in a communal car park,the insurance company refused point blank to have any more to do with me or my claim and suggested i go back to the brokers.So back to Carole Nash i went,who looked at my details and said it says a garage on the details,i explained to them i do not know where that “Garage” has come from,CN then said we need to back and listen to the recordings,as their policy is to record all calls,so i gave them a couple of days to dig the recordings out and back on the phone i get,i am put through to customer services this time,the transcripts of the telephone calls do indeed reveal i said communal bike shed in car park,so now CN are in a panic and go back to the insurance company who did’nt want to know,infact they revoked the insurance for both my machines.Many phone calls later,with a reasonably sensible customer services guy,i have been asked to get my Tmax in to a Yamaha dealer for a repairs estimate,the complaint has gone up to Director level at the brokers and a huge chunk of my insurance premium returned,they have also sorted out insurance for both bikes with the correct details.I pulled the scooter out of the recovery garage upon CN’s request as the charges are obscene,that money will be refunded to me,for the time being i have rented secure storage at a pucker storage yard not far from me,its not the ideal situation,but when the Tmax comes back from the menders,the scumbag society are almost certain to have another go,so sadly being a desirable machine for scooter thieves Max will probably have to go.

No doubt updates to follow

Steve

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Sad 10

pjm

Sorry to hear that Steve. At least the call recordings saved the day. What damage had they caused? A lot of the theft videos you see shows brute force at breaking the steering lock once they have cut off any disk locks or chains.

Tonyj

Good luck steve . What a time consuming negative experience . I bet you were glad they recorded that conversation. Next one will be you modified it by filling it up with 97ron fuel :0)

My boy said he fancies a tmax but I keep saying don’t unless you want to walk home.. 

• Sad 1

Tex

Wow! I had a similar experience with my camper but luckily I noticed in time. When the renewal came through I noticed it said ‘garaged’ (you would need a hell of a garage for that sod) and I queried it. The recordings showed I said it was kept in a private car park. The insurers promptly refused to renew and the brokers had to go elsewhere. So, did some lazy oik at the brokers just tick ‘garaged’ for an easy life? 

What an absolute nightmare for you Steve! Any word on what happened to the thieves? They might not be so keen to come back to you following their arrest..

• Like 1

DaveM59

They possibly tick boxes to get the quote price down then run the odds of you never making a claim. Occasionally it backfires on them but the risk is worth it.

Not sure if this is true or urban myth but some years ago a certain well known high street broker was caught not actually placing the insurance at all but just issuing cover notes. They probably couldn't do that now with the on-line paperless systems in place but in those days a piece of paper was all the proof needed.

• Like 3

Croydonscooter

What a nightmare, I feel for you I don't have much faith in insurance companies and find them to be quite slippery!

macamx

Got to be real careful with this one. If you garage overnight and declare as "kept in a brick built garage" then the bike gets nicked off your drive whilst you are at home for lunch you may encounter some difficulty with the insurance company.

Geoff.

Mister Paul
4 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

They possibly tick boxes to get the quote price down then run the odds of you never making a claim. Occasionally it backfires on them but the risk is worth it.

Not sure if this is true or urban myth but some years ago a certain well known high street broker was caught not actually placing the insurance at all but just issuing cover notes. They probably couldn't do that now with the on-line paperless systems in place but in those days a piece of paper was all the proof needed.

Back in the eighties when I bought my first car (a proper Mini) I went into a broker to get a quote. I told him I wanted business cover. He advised me to not take business cover, and if I had a bump while I was working I should say that I had been popping to the shops.