Steve1960

Trackers

Steve1960

After my experience this weekend with one of my bikes being stolen,but the tracker proved its worth,i do not know yet what damage the scumbags have done until i get to the recovery company Monday,anyway i was thinking of getting one of these https://monimoto.co.uk/product/monimoto-smart-tracker-system/  for the ADV,has anyone got or used it in the past.

steve

Andy m

Mine is this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Security-Motorbike-Tracking-Telematics/dp/B07B51D2HX/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1549200831&sr=8-7&keywords=rewire+security

Recommended on here IIRC. 

No phone call if it leaves the geofenced area, but pretty much all the other features I can think you might need. Mostly I use it to see where I've been, how fast etc. but it has security use in that it buzzes my phones and emails when it's moved etc. 

I think you get what you pay for. I went the 20 quid device and buy your own card route first and it worked one time in ten for a month then died. Chinese rubbish, so no refund. 

Andy

• Like 1

kayz1

I have the rewire kit, had it months and bought the complete package,,,just never got around to fitting it:shocked: forgot about it for a while and then moved it

to a draw and forgot again..Most be my age.

Lyn.

White Skark

I think you get what you pay for, I have the "BIKETRAC" in mine, I have found it very good. The company are easy to contact, and you can switch it on and off, when you trailor it you need to switch it off, if I forget, I am less then half a mile down the road and they are on the phone to me. Very pleased with it, and it costs me about £100 a year, well worth it for peace of mind.

sad vampire

I wouldn't like to say if I have a monimoto tracker hidden somewhere on the bike in addition to a wired tracker....

... has to be worth it just to nullify their disconnecting the main tracker.

ste7ios

This is pointless with pros... A cheap jammer will disable any tracker, cell phones, and most wireless devices in a close distance.

Andy m

They caught the scum who took Steve's bike. 

We are the stage car radios were at in the 1990's. Having to remove the front panel and take it into the house only deterred the sort of scratter who was smashing the windows and removing the radio with two bits of coat hanger. The ones who knew what they were doing had access to replacement parts and the ability to clone the codes. They only wanted Blaupunkt or whatever, so the easiest defence was just to not have high end brands. The problem wasn't solved until the radio was molded into the dash and there was no money to be made in pubs trading car radios for drugs. They will eventually build the tracker into the bike (because they can charge you by the month and sell your location to advertisers), but until then having one more layer of defence than the next bloke makes them steal his bike.

You can get round all security if you have the skill. From Lasering frame numbers to wireless clones of the key can all be done, but for Ferraris not Honda scooters.

Andy 

Ignatius

GPS jammers are available for £15 on the auction site. Last week my neighbors 18 plate Range Rover Sport was stolen and the mobile tracker app showed the last location on A13. Lost confidence on trackers, steering wheel locks, wheel clamps or any other deterrents for that matter. Every alternative day there is a robbery or car theft in hornchurch, Essex area.

ste7ios

That doesn’t mean that it’s pointless to take any security measures.  Not all scums are pros or smart enough...

Andy m

Nothing will actually stop them. However, they are lazy. If they weren't they'd get a job and not risk what I'll get twenty years for doing if I catch one. By making my bike a fraction harder to steal than yours or increasing the risk, they leave mine alone. It's like being chased by a Tiger, you only have to run faster than the slowest bloke.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

DaveM59

The slight risk is that they do damage or deliberately damage as revenge when they get beaten by your security. The bike is still there but needs repair and you are in a war with your insurance company then over what happens to it. Plus you have a tainted bike afterwards.

I'd rather let them have it and never see it again. You probably get the easiest time with your insurance this way as well. That's what you pay insurance for although you are probably out of pocket either way.

• Like 2

Tex

17 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

I'd rather let them have it and never see it again. You probably get the easiest time with your insurance this way as well. That's what you pay insurance for although you are probably out of pocket either way.

Bloody sight easier to get an insurance payout on an Integra than selling one! ;) 

• Haha 5

lazlo woodbine
27 minutes ago, Tex said:

Bloody sight easier to get an insurance payout on an Integra than selling one! ;) 

Tex saved me from buying and integra. All hail Tex.

I usually turn bikes over at  the year mark except for the VFR800 which lasted 2 years.

Sorry what was this thread about again??

• Haha 2

Andywills77
On 05/02/2019 at 08:18, Tex said:

Agree. Same goes for my car. If it gets nicked, I don't want it back. Who knows what they've done to it.

In my experience, trackers cost more than the saving on insurance anyway

....don't get me started on dash cams and gpdr 😀

Edited by Andywills77