Coolent Query

John Y

I fitted a rad guard the other week, but only kept it on three days because I was paranoid about a hot smell and steam rising up through the fork well when stationary at lights etc.

Pretty sure it was just crap being thrown onto the cover from the front wheel but didn’t want to take any chances.

During today’s clean, I tried to check the fluid level but all I could see was white plastic, no sign of any fluid so decided to remove the rad cap.

The coolent fluid was right to the top of the rad, so obviously it must have fluid in, but I am confused re the level indicator. Maybe it’s not opaque enough to see through or maybe the level is so high i can’t see it in the window ?

is there any heat warning on the dash if it’s too hot ?

Anybody have any tips ? Thanks in advance.

Andy m

If you can get the filler lid off the reservoir shine a torch in. A maglite works well. Makes the level easier to see. 

I usually take a permanent marker to the line too. Opaque white is poor, but is a stronger plastic. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2
Grumpy old man

Or just try and shine a light behind the reservoir. If you haven't already a fenda extenda is worth fitting.

• Like 1
Wedgepilot

Shine a light from behind the reservoir, I find the torch on my phone works well. Without the light, it's really hard to tell.

• Like 1
Graham NZ

John, maybe there is no coolant in the expansion tank because there isn't enough coolant left in the system.  Your mention of steam and a smell sound like there is a leak somewhere. I suggest checking again that the radiator is full and topping up the expansion tank to the correct level.  Then with the engine properly hot check all the hoses and the radiator for leaks.  A worst case scenario would be a head joint leak.

• Like 1

The steam is pretty normal in wet weather, I get it all the time.  First time was something of a shock  but got used to it now.  Regarding the liquid level, I have to agree, the only way is by shining a torch from behind the bottle.  I ended up buying red coloured fluid to replace the green that was in there as it is a little easier to see, not much, but it did improve visibility.

• Like 2

The reason the steam smells rank is that it's from road water which has all the rubber, oil, bird poo etc mixed in with it. Usually smells worse after a long dry spell when it builds up on the road, plenty of rain will wash most of it away.

There is an over-temperature light on the dash, a red thermometer symbol, it should come on when you first turn on the ignition and it goes through the function check, then most of the lights go off. I had it come on when my fan relay packed up and I got caught in slow moving traffic going up an Alp. Immediately stopped and waited a few minutes, ignition back on and the light went out and I was then able to ride at reasonable speed so no problem. Replaced the relay when I got back home, just one of those things.

Incidentally, the fan and the fuel pump use the same relays, so if you ever got stuck with a failed fuel pump relay you could simply swap the fan one and get going again. On the Integra they are side by side in the front right fairing.

If the fan is working the over-heat light should never come on in traffic, and it should certainly never come on when you are riding at reasonable speed. If you do see it then stop immediately and switch off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Guest wingnutsmells

Glad to read that the plume of steam from my NC's radiator is normal. It was a bit of a shock in the snow. Stopped at a set of lights under a street lamp and looked like the Enterprise was beaming me up.

Graham NZ

Maybe our roads are cleaner because I've not noticed steam or smell when riding in rain.  Can a 'fender extender' make such a difference?  Maybe it was worth fitting afterall.  Then again mine is an S so a naked bike compared with an X where the forks pass through a plastic tunnel which may funnel things up more.

Cheers all. I certainly haven’t had any temp warning lights and the fact that others have steam and pong in mucky conditions is reassuring. I will get the torch behind it later on and check see if I can see any level.

Thank you everybody.

Torch...

Top Tip...worked a treat. I just dragged myself into the freezing garage to check and the torch illuminated the fluid like a charm.

All is well..level is dead on the max line.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, John Y said:

All is well..level is dead on the max line.

Phew! ;) 

alhendo1

I fitted a fender extender when I had mine and never had any of these symptoms. ..might be worthwhile giving one of them a go...easy to fit.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, alhendo1 said:

I fitted a fender extender when I had mine and never had any of these symptoms. ..might be worthwhile giving one of them a go...easy to fit.

Yeah..i was looking. I see they come with either Popstud fitting (drilling the guard) or Glue

Which is the popular option ?

Graham NZ

Aha!  Maybe a fender extender is effective at protecting the radiator enough from getting very wet.  I fitted one as soon as I got the bike so have never ridden in rain without one.  Mine is mechanically fixed.  Easy if you follow the instructions.

outrunner
41 minutes ago, John Y said:

Yeah..i was looking. I see they come with either Popstud fitting (drilling the guard) or Glue

I don't know if it is the most popular option but I fitted mine using the press studs supplied, been on there nearly 3 years and no problems with it coming loose.

Andy.

• Like 1
Guest wingnutsmells

I've found that in the wet, the NC throws water everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It's on top of the trunk, up past the ignition key, down the sides of the bike.

The radiator must be getting drenched, hence the steam. Mine also smells a bit weird; I suspect that's road salt burning off.

I've ordered a fender extender (£19 from Pyramid Plastics) and will report back if it reduces the steam.

alhendo1
3 hours ago, John Y said:

I fitted mine with the adhesive tabs and followed the instructions ie..forensically clean the surfaces with alcohol wipes supplied and mine never budged...I clamped it down overnight with 2 strong clamps though...I found the wire peg type things they supply fairy useless...I also ran a bead of silicone along the width of the joint line (you'll see it when you do the job...it's out of view when on the bike)...this keeps the water/road muck from working its way in between the gap in the fenda extenda and the guard....worked for me. If I remember correctly others on the forum have used just rivets and/or a combination of the pads supplied and rivets for extra security.....fair enough as pre glue pads this was the way it was done. I'm also sure I remember reading someone had done it purely with silicone...I'm sure others will be along with their experiences soon👍

• Like 2
On 2/4/2019 at 14:03, neojynx said:

The steam is pretty normal in wet weather, I get it all the time.  First time was something of a shock  but got used to it now.  

Ditto, first stop a traffic light during the first ride in the rain ... steam coming up from the engine ... thought bike is going to blow up any minute now ... LOL ...

On 2/4/2019 at 19:05, Graham NZ said:

Maybe our roads are cleaner because I've not noticed steam or smell when riding in rain.  Can a 'fender extender' make such a difference?  Maybe it was worth fitting afterall.  Then again mine is an S so a naked bike compared with an X where the forks pass through a plastic tunnel which may funnel things up more.

I think fender extender makes a lot of difference, the rear-guard, however, was a total waste of money ...