Matatpub

New Africa twin

KingJames

Road going version to compete with BMW S1000 and I am trading up. 

iaink
3 minutes ago, KingJames said:

Always been surprised that Honda have not developed a road going version of the AT.

KingJames

Who would buy the AT if they did that? Genuine question 

slowboy
27 minutes ago, KingJames said:

Not when we've  got the new CB1000R. Genuine answer.

• Like 2

fred_jb

If they used that engine to make a big brother to the NC, perhaps a little more touring orientated to provide a modern replacement to the Pan, then I suspect a lot of NC owners, and indeed ex owners such as myself, would upgrade to it.

• Like 2

Rocker66
1 hour ago, fred_jb said:

If they used that engine to make a big brother to the NC, perhaps a little more touring orientated to provide a modern replacement to the Pan, then I suspect a lot of NC owners, and indeed ex owners such as myself, would upgrade to it.

I would like the sound of that providing that they kept the seat heightbsimilar to that of the NC.

KingJames
9 hours ago, slowboy said:

Not when we've  got the new CB1000R. Genuine answer.

That would need a DCT with the ability to select the gear I want manually at all speeds. Mine seems to ignore me over 50 mph. 

KingJames

Ah it isn’t a trouing /adv style so not for me

Trev

Don't see a reason for me to want to swap my 'original' AT for this, flashier dash, few trinkets, different stripes but same (?) power and no doubt same weight or even heavier. I'm not one for hankering after 'the very latest' just because. If they came out with one 20kg lighter then I might be interested.

..... and of course tubeless tyres :D:D

Edited by Trev
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Mr Toad
19 hours ago, KingJames said:

Well the AT is a genuinely capable off roader, in fact when I was looking I felt that the AT was more of a hardcore off roader than the GS.

However, for most people adventure means the trip and most of us, me included, rarely go off road unless you count the bit of grass between the tarmac and where you pitch you tent. 

A more road biased AT would, I think, be a Huge seller. You only have to look at how many people love the current AT as a long distance tourer to see how popular it would be.  

• Like 2

lazlo woodbine

I'm still happy with my "Africa Single" when I can get on it.

I spend some glorious time last Sunday riding the snow and ice covered lanes and tracks near here and as a bonus managed not to fall off.:D

No way would I have done the same with a heavy adventure bike. I met a fallen tree on one lane and had to push the bike back to get a place to park while I moved the tree.

I was very happy and able  pushing the Rally backwards. 

• Like 1

fj_stuart
3 hours ago, Trev said:

..... and of course tubeless tyres :D:D

It baffles me why the AT doesn't have tubeless tyres. My friend Ron's 1992 BMW R100R has spoked wheels and tubeless tyres. It's not rocket science.

• Like 2

rainmaker
23 hours ago, KingJames said:

So current version cannot go on road? Mine happily do that already...

BMW S1000 is completely different animal, really no comparison. Honda has other models to put against that (different story how they "compete").

44 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

It baffles me why the AT doesn't have tubeless tyres. My friend Ron's 1992 BMW R100R has spoked wheels and tubeless tyres. It's not rocket science.

Discussed many times, bean counter decision to save few pennies, bring the margins up and make the stakeholders happier. All of that masked behind "true offroader needs tubes" bollocks.

I hope the new one would have tubeless (as Honda clearly are missing sells) and I can eventually get proper tubeless wheels for a reasonable price as a replacement parts.