DCT not going into gear - followed be engine light

hyperbimduke

hyperbimduke

As above, 2018s DCT,bike warming up on side stand, stand up, go to select gear, nothing, check ide stand is all the way up, yes, still no gear, gear indicator box s flashing horizontal bar in centre, does this always flash when in N or should it show N, cant recall.

Turned ignition off for a minute & tried again, this time went into D, however engine light stayed on though gears all working as expected.

Any comments/similar experience? before I visit the dealer

Was it idling at a higher speed than normal?

Once about a month ago my bike wouldn't go into "drive". Hardly surprising as the idling revs were over 2,000. Not sure why as it was not a particularly cold day and it had only been parked up for under an hour so quite a warm engine. Turned it off and idling was fine on restarting so off I went.

hyperbimduke
5 minutes ago, giley said:

crap in side stand microswitch???

Possibly, bike is very dirty following all the salt, would this leave a engine warning light on permanently?

probably not first thing that came to my mind :-)

Exceledsteve

Just today I have received a recall notice from Honda for my X-ADV. It reads:

'What is the issue?

When the motorcycle is ridden a low speed for a long period of time, the heat generated from the engine, combined with high air temperatures increases the temperature and resistance of certain internal components of the ECU. In some cases, the rider may notice the engine warning light illuminated in the meter case accompanied with activation of the fail-safe driving mode, where it is not possible for the transmission to shift gear. In worst case scenario , driving force will be lost.' 

Sounds similar.

Flashing bar across gear display is a fault, it should not normally show any flashing bars. My suspicions are always towards connectors in the first instance, if you can get to the connectors for the handlebar switches they would be worth checking, take apart, spray with contact cleaner (WD40 if you must), inspect the pins for any corrosion, refit/work in/out a few times to get good contact.

The connector on the back of the instrument panel also causes some faults, check this one too.

Sidestand switch is worth checking but shouldn't cause a fault/flash, it simply won't select drive. It is open when the stand is down and closed when stand is up, if an open circuit fault occurs the assumed condition is stand down but it won't be seen as a "fault" by the ECU.

hyperbimduke
8 minutes ago, embee said:

Flashing bar across gear display is a fault

Thanks Embee, its chucking it down outside my work, hope I can get a gear to get home!...

Grumpy old man

A 2018 bike, I'd take it straight back and have the 'experts' check it with all their fancy gizmos.

good luck

On 2/8/2019 at 14:21, Exceledsteve said:

Just today I have received a recall notice from Honda for my X-ADV. It reads:

'What is the issue?

When the motorcycle is ridden a low speed for a long period of time, the heat generated from the engine, combined with high air temperatures increases the temperature and resistance of certain internal components of the ECU. In some cases, the rider may notice the engine warning light illuminated in the meter case accompanied with activation of the fail-safe driving mode, where it is not possible for the transmission to shift gear. In worst case scenario , driving force will be lost.' 

Sounds similar.

Me to, mine was recalled and fixed a month ago:muttley: Honda UK do seem to be getting worse..

Exceledsteve
8 hours ago, kayz1 said:

Me to, mine was recalled and fixed a month ago:muttley: Honda UK do seem to be getting worse..

That's interesting Lyn. I do remember you mentioning this a while ago and wondered why mine was not affected. Sure enough it was but the delay is now confusing me. Could it be because I am not the owner of the bike, the finance company is because I have it on a PCP? 

Did you buy yours outright, with no 'owning' finance company involved in the process? If so this might explain the delay.

Hi Steve, yes bike is mine. It could be that i go on the recall site now and again and i first saw it on the site.

I went to my dealer to ask him what was afoot, he logged in and it was on the Honda dealer site so the

service and stores chaps went into gear and got the stuff ordered and me booked in. As i said after it

had been done, it appears to change gear a little smother, but that could just be me as it was hissing

down when i was on my way home. Not used it since as i have the Forza300 for winter. Keeps the salt off the good bike.

Lyn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1