Sign in to follow this  
bazza

silly question on a bike forum-my Merc....

bazza

its a 13 year old E270 5 cylinder and i love it -except the dipped beam is pathetic.The reflectors are ok but i want to fit better bulbs.The KTM 950 was gifted 2 after market bullbs with voltage regulators and the lifghts were PHENOMENAL but melted the chrome off the reflectors.

Even so the beams were still superior!

so on the Merc - separate H7 dip and main beams. Should go HID LED or what? anyone got personal experience?

bazza

tedium

I think LED and/or HID can only be fitted where you have automatic levelling for the headlights. Without this you are likely to have problems at MOT time. How about a straight swap for some really good “normal” bulbs? Auto Express do periodic reviews of the best replacement bulbs so have a look at those. I changed for better bulbs on my aging Toyota....not an expensive thing and it made a marked difference.

• Like 1

Defender

Hi Bazza, 

How are you doing?

I'd be a little bit careful of fitting anything other than better bulbs to existing lamps as I think they were highlighted for extra attention in the last set of MOT upgrades, but it's all down to the person doing the testing at the end of the day?

Personally I just fit top quality bulbs, they seem to work quite well, I just wish they'd been around sooner!

Too much power/heat is what melts your reflector chrome, especially in plastic headlamp assemblies.

SteveThackery

I don't think you should consider LED replacements for the H7s - you can't really rely on them being compatible in terms of the placement of the "virtual filament", and that will affect the beam cut-off and focus.  Also, I doubt very much whether they will be as bright or as reliable.  High brightness LED lighting units are designed around the extra cooling that LEDs require, so it's hard to get LEDs to work well as drop-in replacements for halogen bulbs whilst keeping the same physical format.

I agree - a set of top-performance halogens is the best, the only, way to go.

KingJames

Yup to the advice above. Clean the inside of the headlamp too if you can, as well as the outside as over 13 years you have probably got some grub build up. 

Rev Ken

You could also check the wiring. If it is 'old' it might have a voltage drop between the battery and your headlights. New wiring and a check on the earth can sometimes improve lighting.

embee

Somewhere like https://www.powerbulbs.com/ gives a good idea of what's available, note they have 25% off with the code at the moment. I've had stuff from them, at least you can be pretty sure it's genuine unlike cheaper places on auction sites. I've used both Osram and Philips uprated type lamps in various guises, comparable performance and quality in my experience and probably about as good as you'll get in conventional type lamps. Beware of fakes, they're rubbish.

As others say, clean the light units inside and out if any visible deterioration, if the lenses are plastic and have yellowed they can be very successfully renovated, see the various youtube vids of how-to. Cleaning kits can be had at reasonable cost, it looks brutal but it does work. If the lenses are glass they should simply clean up with normal washing/polishing.

Good tip from RevKen to check what voltage is getting to them, compare to battery volts. Clean the fuse contacts for a start.

Edited by embee

ted

I got a pair of these

Cheap enough and a bit brighter than the originals.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

baben
On 2/11/2019 at 05:52, ted said:

I got a pair of these

Cheap enough and a bit brighter than the originals.

Ok, so I know I have too much time on my hands but I followed the link. Yep, the link is to bulbs but the Q and A section and the reviews suddenly start rambling on about hands free abilities and voice activation. Very weird!

Edited by baben