Put Bike away salty / wet :-(

rjp996

Use my bike daily for my commute, but last 3-4 weeks I’ve been dodging the cold weather by working from thevwarm parts of the US and India / Singapore (love Singapore :-) )

back this morning, took the Bike out for a breakfast, started right up (battery doing well as original and doing wel) but.... front and back breaks stuck on, and the front leaver stuck. Loosened them up so could have breakfast with a bit of oil on tHe leaver (but needs pushing back to get the stop light off) - so priorities first..., I got it mobile so I could have breakfast and would not starve, but now I need to strip off the breaks and clean up all the white snow / salt corrosion that has taken them over and work out how to dismantle the front lever to clean up the sliding surfaces. My penance from the Bike gods for leaving it wet...

• Sad 5

Richard, ignore the ‘salt devils’ at your peril. But I have every confidence you will prevail :niceone:

Next time your job takes you traveling tell head office you need to take a ‘minder’. And that I’m both available and cheap! :) 

• Haha 1
DaveM59

I hardy ever set to and clean after a wet ride but I do chuck a bucket of hot soapy (car wash) water over the wheel hubs and brake calliper areas if I'm not going to ride again for a week or more. Never had any problems with brakes on any bike then in the spring before the MOT I give them a thorough clean, not necessarily a strip down, but I undo the calliper, remove the pads and dunk them in a bucket of hot water and use a toothbrush and wash out all the crud, apply a bit of brake grease and refit.

I'm not one who spends as long cleaning as riding, that would be no fun, I'd much rather spend a warm sunny weekend tinkering doing a thorough clean once a year. If you do this and apply grease or whatever properly then mostly you can ride the full year doing very little maintenance and you have no problems even through winter.

• Like 1
SteveThackery

It is annoying, though.  My last car was put away salty/wet regularly, but at 21 years old it had no visible rust anywhere.  They could definitely make bikes much better at resisting salt/wet than they do.

• Like 8

Solved the sticking break lever - one screw and a 10mm bolt under and the lever comes out. Cleaned up all the corrosion and gunk, along with the pivot bolt and brass bussing and put back together with some break grease and all good :-) now need to clean the callipers

• Like 1
PoppetM
3 hours ago, rjp996 said:

Solved the sticking break lever - one screw and a 10mm bolt under and the lever comes out. Cleaned up all the corrosion and gunk, along with the pivot bolt and brass bussing and put back together with some break grease and all good :-) now need to clean the callipers

Then a good dose of ACF50 (not on the brakes)

• Like 1
On 16/02/2019 at 11:09, Tex said:

Next time your job takes you traveling tell head office you need to take a ‘minder’. And that I’m both available and cheap! :) 

Tex, not sure you would like my March travel as much as where I have just been...... I have to go to places like Bogotá.... I get given an armoured car in one of the locations I need to be in..... funny how my wife never seems to concerned 😧 

Edited by rjp996
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, rjp996 said:

Tex, not sure you would like my March travel as much as where I have just been...... I have to go to places like Bogotá.... I get given an armoured car in one of the locations I need to be in..... funny how my wife never seems to concerned 😧 

Tell her you cancelled your life insurance - that’ll wipe the smile off her face! ;) 

As to Bogotá, no, you’re right. I would want to cherry pick the locations I protected you in. Y’know, dangerous places like Melbourne or the Gold Coast.. :) 

• Haha 3
Andy m

Back when they wanted me to go to places like Kosovo the company used to send the wife a statement on my life policy 😒 I know I'm worth more dead, but that is taking the whatsit. 

That said, they used to fly me to Italy, cancel the job as too dangerous or not urgent enough and turn me loose on exes in Rome until a return flight was available. The Chianti doesn't drink itself you know. 

Current cleaning routine is snow foam only when I've time to apply more ACF with the compressor. When I don't it's gallons of fresh water then make sure it's dry before the cover goes on. Only hassle to date is surface rust on the chain. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 4