Opening up the speedo / display

rjp996

I seem to have condensation now in my speedo, so was going to take it apart and see if I can replace / re seal it and dry it out. 

Before I embark on a journey of knowledge, thought I would ask if anyone has taken their clocks off / opened them for any tips

Andy m

Never done it, but it's like a mobile phone so expect bonded parts. 

When the Guzzi speedo stopped lighting up I spoke to these guys

https://cartronix.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjrrc3uDH4AIV77vtCh03IQwBEAAYASAAEgKlHvD_BwE

They were willing to open it, take a look and report but had never done one so would guarantee nothing. 

I was lucky, a bit of legalise and a better sort of dealer got Guzzi to cough 700 quids worth of display. 

Andy

• Like 1
fj_stuart

I'm inclined to say don't do it.

I did this on my CBF250 a few years ago. It was a fiddly job and it didn't stop the condensation returning. I was half thinking about doing it again and trying to fit a small silica gel pack inside the clocks but decided to just live with it.

Details from my blog

• Like 1

Perhaps very gently warming with a hairdryer might do the trick. Gentle heat over a longer period is the trick 

PoppetM

My immediate reaction is don't. Don't know why, gut instinct says leave well alone!

• Confused 1

Do it before the locked in condensation/mist corrodes the delicate innards.

My speedo developed a fault (some of the lcd blocks forming gear number had failed) probably due to long term storage in a damp environment, prior to me buying it.

I had opened it to see if cleaning the contacts could help sadly, it didn't help and I needed to get a replacement. Just lay out all components in sequence, if in doubt, take pics with your phone. To stop it happening again, a thin bead of silicone sealant could be applied before the case is put together again.

Still have the faulty one, under the stairs...

Bart Stilgo

There is a plug or some gadget/gismo that can be fitted.  Not letting water in but allowing the condensate etc out

Speidel a company in Germany make a small beer making gadget and it has a controller at the bottom of what is a big kettle with a few pumps tucked away.  They had a similar problem of condensate build up on the screen and supplied this widget.  You drilled a small hole and then fitted the plug and it allowed the control unit to breath.

Might be something similar on the market.  I think we still have one on stock at work just in case another customer rings up.  I'll take a look but I don't think there were any marks on the thing.

DaveM59

This used to be a big issue on the X9 digital dash and if it wasn't dried out quickly the multi layer PCB used to delaminate as the copper tarnished. Once this happened the thing was scrap. The solution was to open it up, dry it with a hairdryer then allow it to cool, drill a small hole at the lowest point of the casing (when fitted) to allow the inside to equalise to the outside atmosphere, then seal it back up with a sachet or two of silica gel crystals inside.

If the NC one can be split a similar treatment should work (the hole could be optional) but if it isn't possible to split it open then the hole may be required to allow the moisture out then plug it with some hot glue.

• Like 1