SlasherMCT

PR2 vs Road 5

SlasherMCT

I have done about 6800 miles on the Bridgestone Battlewings and I have 500-1000 miles to go.  (I mostly ride gently).

I can save £60 - £65 by fitting PR2 instead of Road 5's.   - £232 vs £294.   Is the R5 that much better than the PR2?   Dealers have told me they share the same compound but the tread pattern differs.

Or would anyone recommend another dual compound tyre?

Tex

By and large tyre manufacturers improve their product with every new generation, just like motorcycles really. The PR2 was a good tyre, but the PR3 was better.. and so on. You may well find that the longer life of a later tyre offsets the greater cost? I would be wary of dealers claims regarding compounds etc as those details aren’t actually released and it’s probably just a guess. Good luck with finding something. 

I’m actually using Avon Spirit ST tyres which I like very much, but don’t have enough miles on to know how long they will last. Might be worth a punt?

Edited by Tex
  • Thanks 1

trisaki

I've just fitted  conti road attack 2 , not heard  any bad feedback  on them,   have to wait and see  what I think  when she is all back together  and I can go and play  

• Thanks 1

outrunner

I had Road Attack 2 Evos on my NCX and they only lasted for 4000 miles making them the shortest lived tyre that I have tried so far, next to go on will be Road 5, we shall see if they live up to the reputation they have.

Andy.

• Thanks 1

wingrider.steve

I've only once used PR2's and they were terrible, not bad in good dry conditions but on cold, greasy roads they were lethal until fully warmed up which never really happened in the really cold weather.

They were the only tyres I've ever taken off and replaced so soon after fitting them.

Edited by wingrider.steve
  • Thanks 2

Bigglesaircraft

I have recently fitted R4s, they have transformed the bike and made it so much more comfortable to ride.

• Thanks 1

Tex
11 hours ago, wingrider.steve said:

I've only once used PR2's and they were terrible, not bad in good dry conditions but on cold, greasy roads they were lethal until fully warmed up which never really happened in the really cold weather.

They were the only tyres I've ever taken off and replaced so soon after fitting them.

Interesting, thanks. I don’t think I ever tried PR2, but the PR3 was an excellent choice for my Tiger 800. We put a set of 3s on the Street Triple and my son loved them (compared to the OE Dunlop’s) and he says the 4s he’s on now are better still. Generally, newer is better. And, as you say, a bad choice can completely ruin your enjoyment of the bike.

• Thanks 1

neojynx

I have PR2s on my R1150RT, not keen on them.  I have many pairs of PR3s &PR4s.  Currently on Avon Storms which are as good as the Michelins in my opinion and I do a lot of mileage in all weathers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

embee
18 hours ago, SlasherMCT said:

..….  Dealers have told me ……...

Yeah yeah yeah.

As Tex says, dealers will tell you anything. They are extremely unlikely to know the technical details of what compounds are used, and the PR2 dates back, what, 10yrs now? Technology moves on, sure they are round and black and rubbery, but so are Pontefract cakes.

PR4 is a great tyre for real world use, I've had a couple of sets and the only thing against is that I've found they can wear a bit differently, one set cupped more than the other, but still perfectly acceptable. I have a set of R5s to go on the NC now, the front PR4 needs doing straight away, the rear PR4 has a couple of thou miles left yet.

Any PR2 in stock is likely to be quite old I'd have thought, I doubt Michelin have made any for some years. Personally I go with the latest version as long as there are no bad reports, but that's up to you. PR4s can be had at discounted prices compared to the R5 so would be a better bet if budget dictates.

Unless you live in a region with very abrasive roads (e.g. Scotland) you're likely to get around 10k miles from PR4 or R5, that's about £600 in fuel on an NC, just puts the tyre cost in perspective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

giley

my 2penyworth is I found pr4 magnets!  very puncture happy too soft compound I feel..road 5 seem to have harder compound but still very grippy so road 5 better imo..so far! done about 8k on them now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SlasherMCT

I believe they are still making the PR2’s or have been until 2017. 

Thanks very much much for the feedback everyone. I will go for the R5s

• Like 1

SlasherMCT

Well I am just about to fly home from Gran Canaria after 6 days riding on a manual NC750X fitted with Battleaxe BT023. I haven’t leaned a bike into corners this much for years. I didn’t get the pegs down but I did touch my feet and there are no chicken strips visible on the tyres.  There are also a very large percentage of bends that tighten up once or twice just when you think you are about to exit you have to lean in more. 

Also there’s a lot of extremely adverse camber bends here and the tyres were superb. It rained a lot yesterday afternoon and the tyres were  good in the wet. I have ridden roads with broken surfaces as well and they have been fine. 

The owner of CMT, Martin says that the Bridgestones aren’t quite as good as the Pilot 5s in the wet but they last longer.   A pair from Protyre are £70 cheaper so I am going to go for them when I get back. 

• Like 1

SlasherMCT

I was going to go with the Battleaxe  but on the day I arrived at Protyre there was a  tyre and fitting discount on Road 5's and no BT-023's available until the next day.   I am really happy with them so far - more feel that the Battlewings that were originally fitted - I haven't ridden in the wet yet.  But then new tyres always feel amazing because of the correct profile compared to worn tyres.  With the discounts the Road 5's were only about £20 more for the pair fitted than the Battleaxe.

I achieved 7999 miles on the original tyres.

Edited by SlasherMCT
repeated word