Life of front brake pads

Mike5100

Mike5100

How many miles are people getting out of a set of pads (looks like I’ve only managed 24k on the Africa twin and it has two pairs of callipers so you’d imagine the wear would be LES)

mike

Slowboy

Piece of string answer really. But it depends what grade the pads are and how hard you use them. They are so cheap (per mile) in the grand scheme of things, when they need doing, change them. 24k sounds reasonable. Bike are just playthings in the modern world, for your average rider it might take them 5 to 6 years to travel that far, and many would be on their third bike by then. Glad your getting out and enjoying it as it should be enjoyed Mike.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 3

Try 2400 miles on EBC Road pads.... bit more on the EBC HH pads, 4800 miles on those. I've now got SBS HH pads which are doing a bit better and Honda OEM for after that.  It is a running cost, but annoying if they do not last as long as expected!

Mr Toad
35 minutes ago, makman said:

Try 2400 miles on EBC Road pads.... bit more on the EBC HH pads, 4800 miles on those. I've now got SBS HH pads which are doing a bit better and Honda OEM for after that.  It is a running cost, but annoying if they do not last as long as expected!

Interesting, I've got EBC HH pads in the Bonny and have done over 8k on them and they are not showing any appreciable signs of wear. I fitted the same EBC pads to the NC but sold it before I did any real miles on it. 

I suspect from your location that riding in London means you're on the brakes a lot and they wear faster that people you do most of their miles without having to touch the brakes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
sandalfarm

The pads on the car last longer than the discs which  crumble away to another mot failure

Piece of string is right, I would be concerned if I  got less than 5000 miles from brake pads, unless of course Makman, are you a stunt rider ? 20-30 K is about right, but a lot depends on how you ride, how well you plan your riding and how well you maintain your brakes. Talking of cars, I replaced some  VW Golf front discs and pads with pattern parts for less than £60. and that was at 70000 miles.

• 3 months later...
Black15

I changed my original front pads at 14,000 but only because I was changing a tyre at the same time. Pads still had 2mm on them. I have put 12,000 on EBC HH replacements and they show little signs of wear. Rear pads have 26,000 on them and are not half worn. I do a 120 mile per day commute of which 90 is motorway so I’m not heavy on brake usage.

Mark8arker

Changed my front last week 12,500 & rear look fine. Fitted EBC HH only because thats all the shop had when i went in! Stop start commute in heavy traffic with litttle motorway. Mind you the motorway stop start on my way home. 

Ignatius

Done 21k and still plenty of pads, daily commute from london to kent 60 miles.

arengle

on my NC, the original pads, at 12k the front was shiny flat, the rear still had at least another 10k, I think depends a lot how to you ride and maintain the bike.

I did 25000 km (15 500 miles) in 3 years and the pads are still very good

baben

Tigger gets about 8000 off a set of front pads - still on the original rear set at 18000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...
embee

Just put a new front set in my 700 Integra. I've used the OE Honda/Nissin items all the time and find them absolutely fine for performance (YMMV). The first set I replaced at around 16k mls, this set has done about 18k, both had plenty of life left in them but like tyres I tend to replace early. I don't ride in heavy traffic/city, it's all open road, so I guess 20k mls would be perfectly achievable on std pads in favourable conditions. City use could halve that quite easily.

My MOT chap had suggested to me last year that I might like to consider some new pads, knowing that I do long Euro tours. I like to keep him happy, but I have done 2 tours since then on the old pads before deciding to fit the new ones. MOT is due in a couple of weeks, so he'll be happy (I hope).

Cost is trivial compared to all the other things, tyres/fuel/insurance/ferry tickets/(new wheels, that's another thread) etc.

• Like 1
Tonyj

Oem for me as well . Both nc and crosstourer. The crosstourer needed new fronts , well the left side did but the right wasn’t that bad really . The brakes are linked so a little bit on the front when using the rear hence the wear 16k and about 17k on the nc 

skorpion

Anyone want a 500 mile front and rear set of Honda NC pads cheap,  just did not get on with them, so just sitting here. 2015 -2019

How much for pads and posting thanx

skorpion
12 hours ago, Q2o5 said:

How much for pads and posting thanx

Message sent.

steelhorseuk

NC700SA (2012) I replace the front and rear with EBC HH at 12000 miles on average.

Defender

About 10,000 miles on the front and 25,000 on the rear, the first OEM front set lasted a bit longer than the second which were EBC's, now on SBS's, but a sticking caliper will have shortened their life a bit.

Oddly on my  2006 Triumph 900 Scrambler, I had to replaced the rear pads before the fronts, and I wasn't the only one to have had to do that!

rjp996

On the third set of front pads at 70k miles and still on original rear pads (and I use the rear a lot in filtering)

skorpion
4 hours ago, rjp996 said:

On the third set of front pads at 70k miles and still on original rear pads (and I use the rear a lot in filtering)

That proves to me that the rear pads are not much use for actual braking, may as well fit wooden blocks.

Edited by skorpion