Aldi this week.

John Y

Walklikegump

Bought a can of cleaner and a can of wax. Watched a video of how to adjust a chain and am ready to do my first chain maintenance  since 1988 . Even then it was spin wheel and hold a cloth soaked with cooking oil on it .  It will have to be next weeks project as house needs attention. 

• Confused 1
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeffprince

• listener

• baben

• Tex

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can strongly recommend the buttered chicken curry kit if you are going.  

I went into Aldi for some chain cleaner and lube, I came out with a bird bath, a kite, a paddling pool and some donuts. I completely failed to get any cleaner or lube!  

That's a lot of chain lube, fair play to her for spending that much on your hobby 

Posted Images

listener
8 hours ago, Walklikegump said:

Bought a can of cleaner and a can of wax. Watched a video of how to adjust a chain and am ready to do my first chain maintenance  since 1988 . Even then it was spin wheel and hold a cloth soaked with cooking oil on it .  It will have to be next weeks project as house needs attention. 

Warning: DO NOT try to oil your chain like that with the engine running!

I know of a couple of guys who did, who accidentally hit the gear lever and ended up with serious hand injuries. :hmm:

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
8 hours ago, Walklikegump said:

House needs attention!!!? Silly boy.

• Like 2
Walklikegump
3 hours ago, listener said:

I know of a couple of guys who did, who accidentally hit the gear lever and ended up with serious hand injuries. :hmm:

Lol . I have grown up since then.  I will follow instructions .  

• Haha 1
baben

All this talk of chain cleaning reminds me of why I want a shaftie.

Took SWMBO to Aldis today - spent £95. Is this a record?:angry:

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
listener
42 minutes ago, Walklikegump said:

Lol . I have grown up since then.  I will follow instructions .  

It's amazing though how people can do the dumbest things without thinking.

Back when I was serving my apprenticeship (remember them?), I had to attend an engineering training school.

One of the guys (who was a bit of an idiot, to be honest) was working on a shaper; effectively a plane for smoothing metal.

To check the status of the work-piece you were supposed to stop the machine.

You then gently run your finger across the work-piece, toward the shaper body. The tool-head leaves barbs so the work-piece is rather like a cheese-grater; one direction painful, other not so much.

He didn't stop the machine and he ran his finger away from the body.

His finger got caught on the barbs, and before he could pull his hand away ... the shaper tool neatly chopped the end of his finger off!

Just to chop top it all, the finger tip landed in a puddle of oily swarf, which made reattachment impossible.

• Like 1
  • Sigh 2
  • Sad 1
Mister Paul

My dad had a friend who lost a finger on machine in a factory. A couple of years later he was explaining the accident to someone. He said "and I just put my finger here...." and lost another one.

• Sigh 3
  • Sad 2
7 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

My dad had a friend who lost a finger on machine in a factory. A couple of years later he was explaining the accident to someone. He said "and I just put my finger here...." and lost another one.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.. 

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 1
Andy m

There is a nice young woman I occasionally talk to on twittering who lost the top half inch of her thumb lubing a chain with the engine running.  Don't do it.

With dry and wet and the no doubt coming-soon intermediate chain wax-oil, I smell the opportunity to sell two cans instead of one. 

I'm afraid I view my chain like my tyres. A consumable to be be consumed at a given rate then changed. They last years, to the point that I've usually swapped the bike before the chain. Constant fiddling out of some worry that 2mm of slack one way or the other makes the slightest difference is a self fulfilling prophesy and a waste of time, money and resources the planet could do with saving. 

I'm sticking to the Wurth stuff unless I have other reasons to go to Aldi.  A small can may be useful for by summer trip. That's Scotland though so I'll get a can of wet for the chain and a can of dry for use with my lighter as the ultimate midge repellent!

Andy

• Haha 1
baben
19 hours ago, baben said:

All this talk of chain cleaning reminds me of why I want a shaftie.

Took SWMBO to Aldis today - spent £95. Is this a record?:angry:

Just checked the receipt. £104. Definitely a record.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Trev
Just now, baben said:

Just checked the receipt. £104. Definitely a record.

That's a lot of chain lube, fair play to her for spending that much on your hobby :thumbsup:

• Haha 6
baben
2 hours ago, Trev said:

That's a lot of chain lube, fair play to her for spending that much on your hobby :thumbsup:

If only. Face cream, potting bench, bird seed...........

• Haha 2
listener
2 hours ago, baben said:

I've never tried face cream on a chain!

The potting bench would definitely be a cheaper option than a Shad.

The bird seed would certainly make the bike fly. :whistle: 

• Haha 3
Trev
2 hours ago, baben said:

Yeah what is it with bird seed, my wife and my Dad buy tons of the stuff, how the heck did brids survive before Lidl & Aldi?

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 1
baben

It's a survival strategy. After 29th March we will have cornered the market in pigeons. Delicious.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Defender

I went into Aldi for some chain cleaner and lube, I came out with a bird bath, a kite, a paddling pool and some donuts.

I completely failed to get any cleaner or lube!

• Haha 6
PoppetM
On 03/03/2019 at 15:56, listener said:

Didn’t one post the pic of his injuries on here?!

PoppetM
On 04/03/2019 at 20:38, listener said:

The potting bench would definitely be a cheaper option than a Shad.

The NC comes with potting bench as standard ;)

1 hour ago, Defender said:

I went into Aldi for some chain cleaner and lube, I came out with a bird bath, a kite, a paddling pool and some donuts.

I completely failed to get any cleaner or lube!

What’s with the kite and paddling pool?!!

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
Rocker66
30 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

The NC comes with potting bench as standard ;)

What’s with the kite and paddling pool?!!

You may better off not knowing.😂😂

• Haha 1
listener
1 hour ago, Defender said:

a bird bath, a kite, a paddling pool and some donuts

It's like the Generation Game ... you're just missing the 'cuddly toy'! :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
listener
8 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Warning - Graphic content

How not to clean your chain. Some people really did this and lost fingers.

On a related issue ...

Back in the late 80s, I stopped wearing my signet ring after getting it caught on a door handle.

That hurt like hell but I didn't suffer any serious damage.

A good few years later I stumbled across a webpage which featured an article about de-gloving (I was looking for reviews of bike gloves).

This term covers instances where the skin is stripped from the underlying flesh. It commonly happens to fingers but can affect other parts of the anatomy (one instance I read about involved a man slipping while climbing a spiked fence and de-gloving his penis :cry:).

• Like 1
Rocker66

Many years ago when Iwas a St John’s Cadet we were on duty at a jump at the local Point to Point meeting. During the ladies race there was a faller at our fence and as we approached the rider who was laying on the ground we saw that her face was absolutely covered in blood causing us the expect a serious injury. When the blood was cleared we saw that the skin on her nose had been peeled back and was actually curled up at the top. After ensuring that the wound was clean the skin was rolled back down and the bleeding virtually stopped. I couldn’t believe such a small injury could haemorrhage so much. Apparently she thought it was caused by a hoof catching her so she was one very lucky lady.

As a matter of interest I think as a young lad I learned more swear words from the “Ladies” race than anywhere else. They sounded even more effective said in an upperclass female accent.😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
baben
30 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Many years ago when Iwas a St John’s Cadet we were on duty at a jump at the local Point to Point meeting. During the ladies race there was a faller at our fence and as we approached the rider who was laying on the ground we saw that her face was absolutely covered in blood causing us the expect a serious injury. When the blood was cleared we saw that the skin on her nose had been peeled back and was actually curled up at the top. After ensuring that the wound was clean the skin was rolled back down and the bleeding virtually stopped. I couldn’t believe such a small injury could haemorrhage so much. Apparently she thought it was caused by a hoof catching her so she was one very lucky lady.

As a matter of interest I think as a young lad I learned more swear words from the “Ladies” race than anywhere else. They sounded even more effective said in an upperclass female accent.😀😀

My Dad was a para in the last unpleasantness. The early drop planes were Whitleys and you  went through a hole in the floor rather than a doorway. Anyway, Dad went through and caught his nose on the edge of the hole, breaking it. Then a rigging line whipped across it, opening a cut across the bridge of his hooter. When he landed his whole face was a mask of blood and medics rushed over, convinced something was seriously amiss. Small piece of sticking plaster and all was well (the hooter remained broken and he looked like fagan to his dying day. Mum said it was proof his tightfistedness was cos he was Jewish rather than a Yorkshireman).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
kayz1

****I think as a young lad I learned more swear words from the “Ladies”****

I am with you all way with that one Rocker, used to make us lads in the Army cringe when we had to pass by the Lady'e Barrack rooms when i  were in Berlin . Never ever did the men sound as bad no matter the problems or pains...

Lyn.

• Like 1