mtl

Alarm connection to turn signals

mtl
Posted (edited)

I have NC750X DCT, MY2017 and I will be installing aftermarket alarm.
Alarm also needs to connect to left/right turn signal lights so that they blink when you arm/disarm it or when alarm goes off.

I will install alarm under the ''trunk'', so I would like to know if it is possible to connect to turn signals in the fuse department, since it is near trunk area. The other option is to get the wires to the front connectors as per photo below:

connection.jpg

I would really like to connect without needing to stripe down the wires to prevent any long-term problems.

Also I have additional question: there should be no problem by connecting the wires to +wire from turn signals, correct?
I had this alarm installed in an older Yamaha and there was no problem, but I do not have much experience with newer more electronically equipped motorbikes.

Here is also a photo of fuses:
varovalke.jpg

Edited by mtl

McGyver

Nope, you can't go tap into the fuse box for the turn signals.

The closest you can get to the frunk is to tap into the light blue and orange wire that go into the 12 position grey connector on the left had side of the bike.

That might require some wire stripping though.

If you want an easily reversible setup, go for the front signal connectors.

• Like 1

Windmill

Hi McGyver, can you elaborate ? I too want to connect to the front turn signals. Should I remove the lamps to get to the connectors ? Is there an easy way to "break out" at the connector ?

Thanks, Martin

fred_jb
Posted (edited)

Alternatively you could wire in some small LED modules instead.  I've put two blue LED modules at both front and back of my bike, and hopefully if the bike is disturbed the would be thief may think it could be an undercover police bike and desist!  You can of course get other colours.

I can't find the exact ones I used, but something like this from fleabay would probably work if you can find somewhere to mount them:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by fred_jb

McGyver
On 3/26/2019 at 14:25, Windmill said:

Hi McGyver, can you elaborate ? I too want to connect to the front turn signals. Should I remove the lamps to get to the connectors ? Is there an easy way to "break out" at the connector ?

Thanks, Martin

You can connect to the front signals without stripping anything by using two pairs of 3P HC050 connectors.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/050_Connectors/050_connectors.html

http://www.cycleterminal.com/050-connectors.html

mtl
Posted (edited)
On 26. 3. 2019 at 13:25, Windmill said:

Thanks, Martin

Well, I have just finished alarm installation (sadly I did not have time to do it earlier).

It is not so hard to connect to the turn signals, the hardest part for me was to take off the plastic without breaking some pins.

Anyway, I have routed the wire to the front turn signal, gently removed only 2mm of the + wire isolation and welded the wire from the alarm to it. Of course I have isolated it THOROUGHLY back with some car electrics fabric isolation tape.

connector.jpg

I have isolated also the complete wire set. Together with alarm installation I have also installed wires for USB charger in the trunk and the second one up front. These I have connected through prepared relay and harness set, so that it automatically turns on with turning the key on.

cables.jpg

Here you can se the whole wire, when it was not yet put in place:

wire.jpg

I am quite happy with the work (it took me cca. 8 hours, but I am not a professional installer and I double checked everything and also did some double work, because I have misjudged some facts on the first try :drool:), so now the joy with riding can begin.

Edited by mtl
Added photos.
  • Like 1

mtl
Posted (edited)

One more question. I have found this unused connector on the left side of the motorcycle. Does anyone know what this should be used for?

connector-question.jpg

I was also thinking about additional LEDs just for alarm signal, but I do like factory look, so this was not an option for me.

And one other thing: when installing the cable, you need to make sure that it is installed in that way that it will not break when moving, so I have just installed it with other factory fitted cables.

Edited by mtl