Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
outrunner

New boots today.

Recommended Posts

outrunner

I got a set of PR5 tyres fitted this morning but due to the patchy, damp road surfaces I have not had a chance to really get them fully scrubbed in yet. I have done 62 miles on them up to now and they feel OK having had 2 heat cycles put on them, 30 miles to a coffee stop to let them cool, then 32 miles home. I am sure they will be as good for grip as anything else I have used and hoping for a bit longer life given the price over T31's.

 

Andy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
alhendo1

I've just ordered a set...to be fitted next Friday....hopefully they'll be worth the extra cash.....I'll look forward to any updates between times.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner

Last week I put another 200 miles on the Road 5 tyres and I am very happy with them so far, only thing I notice is that they seem to give a very slightly harsher feel over some rough bits of road but that might be just because they are new, or it might be me being picky, time will tell.

 

 

Andy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
8 hours ago, outrunner said:

Last week I put another 200 miles on the Road 5 tyres and I am very happy with them so far, only thing I notice is that they seem to give a very slightly harsher feel over some rough bits of road but that might be just because they are new, or it might be me being picky, time will tell.

 

 

Andy.

 

You could experiment (a little) with pressures. I think 42 is very high for the rear unless you’re carrying a passenger. Me? I would try 34F 38R. Triumph buck the trend of this ‘universal tyre pressure’ nonsense and on the ‘modern classics’ recommend 32F 36R . 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner
2 hours ago, Tex said:

 

You could experiment (a little) with pressures. I think 42 is very high for the rear unless you’re carrying a passenger. Me? I would try 34F 38R. Triumph buck the trend of this ‘universal tyre pressure’ nonsense and on the ‘modern classics’ recommend 32F 36R . 

That is the pressures I have been using all the time on the NCX as I also found the Honda standard pressure to be too high.

 

Andy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
18 minutes ago, outrunner said:

That is the pressures I have been using all the time on the NCX as I also found the Honda standard pressure to be too high.

 

Andy.

 

How was the egg sucking, Andy? Plainly you need no lessons from me.. :D :niceone:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner
10 hours ago, Tex said:

 

How was the egg sucking, Andy? Plainly you need no lessons from me.. :D :niceone:

Yes, I think we have both been around a while but thanks anyway. :oldfart:

 

Andy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner

Over a thousand miles on the tyres now and I am very happy with them, the slight harshness I mentioned has now gone so it must just have been the very newness of them. To my mind they are a really good tyre, plenty of feel and really good in the wet, so if they pass the mileage test (5000 or more) I will fit them again. :)

 

 

Andy.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Bart Stilgo
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 07:27, Tex said:

You could experiment (a little) with pressures. I think 42 is very high for the rear unless you’re carrying a passenger. Me? I would try 34F 38R. Triumph buck the trend of this ‘universal tyre pressure’ nonsense and on the ‘modern classics’ recommend 32F 36R . 

Tex

What's the long term effect of having higher than necessary tyre pressures? (5000 miles)

Not having anything to compare with regard grip and handling I cant say I've noticed anything to note about poor handling but then I don't ride through the winter

I've always run the rear  and front at the recommended pressures

The only thing I can see on the rear the tyre is squaring off a little and not due to motorway riding.  It could be the brand of tyre (Pirelli Angel ST).  Having found the wear indicators there is still loads of rubber left.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

Bob, the correct tyre pressure for the use a machine is being put to isn’t absolutely vital it’s just ‘desirable’. And over inflation is seen as being better than under inflation. For that reason the motorcycle and tyres companies have come up with this ‘one pressure suits everything’ rubbish. They work on the theory that if you inflate for maximum permissible load you won’t get caught out being under inflated (which is, potentially, more dangerous).

 

BMW used to (may do still, for all I know) issue a decent pressure guide for their motorcycles. Solo, pillion and fully loaded (pillion and luggage) pressures varied by a couple of psi for each setting (mostly the rear tyre). It, obviously, required a degree of cooperation from the rider who was expected to play his part in maintaining the correct pressures for his particular use that day. 

 

The Street Triple is a Daytona with higher bars and pillion accommodation (of a sort) and, I promise you, rides much nicer on the lower Daytona pressures than the 36/42 it’s lumbered with because of the pillion pad. 

 

To (finally!) answer your question, an over inflated tyre will take longer to warm up, will add harshness to the ride and will tend to wear in the centre. An under inflated one will feel ‘soggy’, make the steering heavy and also wear oddly. 

 

Not everyone is ‘sensitive’ to the effects of pressure variations and those folks are undoubtedly better off following the maker’s recommendations. My experience with my Integra showed the front definitely didn’t want to go lower than 34 for solo use (any less made the steering heavy and unresponsive) but 38 rear gave a much better ride and quicker warm up than 42. 

 

To sum up - if you’re happy with the way your tyres are performing, leave them alone. If you feel like experimenting a little to try and get a better ride (and optimal grip) leave the front alone and drop the rear to 38 and try it. Just concentrate on the feel that the rear is giving you. If you don’t feel a difference don’t drop the pressure until you do, just go back to, say, 40 or 42. 

 

And (FFS!) don’t make changes and then say ‘Well, Tex said I should’ when you’re pulling your bike out of a hedge.. ( ;) )

  • Like 3
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
White Skark

I notice 36/42 seems to be standard on all Honda bikes, I have dropped mine by 2lbs front and back and it is a much better ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Bart Stilgo
On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:22, Tex said:

To (finally!) answer your question, an over inflated tyre will take longer to warm up, will add harshness to the ride and will tend to wear in the centre.

Tex

Sounds and looks about right.

Time for some experimentation

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Mark8arker

Do need to experiment with my tyre pressure. Im curently running 38 front & rear. conti road attack 3 fitted. Having a new rear fitted Saturday. Done about 9000 miles on it. Little sqaured off + damage so thought change it early for some summer fun!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
7 hours ago, Mark8arker said:

Do need to experiment with my tyre pressure. Im curently running 38 front & rear. conti road attack 3 fitted. Having a new rear fitted Saturday. Done about 9000 miles on it. Little sqaured off + damage so thought change it early for some summer fun!

 

38 front?! Blimey! Must be like having power steering! :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tonyj

Tex . I once had as little as 14 lbs in the rear . Couldn’t steer the git . 28 in the front . Thought to myself , tone this is why you prefer pie and chips then delicate French cuisine ! You don’t know the difference until it’s trying to kill you. :0) not my best maintenance confession. It just happened. I kept pulling the bike out and riding and had a leaky wheel coupled with the “ I’ll check that later “ attitude.

  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Defender
On 3/24/2019 at 20:27, outrunner said:

Over a thousand miles on the tyres now and I am very happy with them, the slight harshness I mentioned has now gone so it must just have been the very newness of them. To my mind they are a really good tyre, plenty of feel and really good in the wet, so if they pass the mileage test (5000 or more) I will fit them again. :)

Andy.

Thanks for the update Andy, it would seem that the '5's' need a bit more scrubbing in?

 

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner
On 29/03/2019 at 07:33, Defender said:

Thanks for the update Andy, it would seem that the '5's' need a bit more scrubbing in?

 

I wouldn't say they need more scrubbing in as I was putting a fair lean angle on them after about 50 miles, it just seems that after a few hundred miles the carcass appears to have softened up a bit thus taking away the slight harshness I mentioned..................other opinions are available. :)

 

 

Andy.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Jeffprince

I had my first real run on PR4s today. While they were really impressive for road holding and handling, the noise coming up from the front was almost unbearable. We've had discussions about front end noise on the NC previously...now I've proved to myself one major contributor. Had to pull in and switch earplugs to a more silent set, it was that bad. I'm hoping the noise reduces as the tyres wear a bit.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner

Well, that's the Road 5's killed after 5900 miles which is very good in my opinion as all the other makes I have tried averaged somewhere in the region of 4700 to 5000 miles. I had a new set of Road 5 fitted yesterday as for me, they are the tyre I will use until something better comes along. Anyway, sun is out, new tyres on so I can not hang about typing, I am off out on the bike.:)

 

 

Andy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×