Front suspension oil volume

Guest R0bi

embee

You need to specify the model and year. The X has longer forks than an S or Integra, and the later "DBV" forks are different to the earlier type.

The best way to do it is set the level rather than an amount. The air gap left above the oil affects the suspension stiffness when the forks compress.

This is normally done with the fork leg upright (out of the bike), the spring and spacer removed, and the fork leg fully compressed. You then measure how far down the oil level is (a ruler or dipstick type check will do, although there are things available like syringes with an adjustable tube to allow it to be done easily).

To complicate matters a bit, there are recommended levels in the workshop manual but quite a lot of folk end up experimenting and using slightly different amounts to alter how the suspension feels, it is not a hard and fast thing. The best thing is to start with the recommended oil level. It's the same in left and right.

neojynx

514 ml in each fork on a 750X.

I bought a 1l bottle of 10W and split it between the 2 forks.  It worked just fine. Really stiffened up the suspension for the better.

• Like 1

I just chucked in 500ml in to each leg and the difference was amazing in handling 

• Like 2
Dunnster

I think the manual states 514ml in each fork leg, I bought 2 X 1liter bottles of Fuchs silkolene maintain fork oil, poured oil in each 

leg and measured the air gap, ended up only using one bottle. 

Iron horse
23 hours ago, Dunnster said:

I think the manual states 514ml in each fork leg, I bought 2 X 1liter bottles of Fuchs silkolene maintain fork oil, poured oil in each 

leg and measured the air gap, ended up only using one bottle. 

I did the same as the manual spec is > 1 litre, so bought two. In practise, you can't drain all the oil residue from the forks so 500 each is about right. I did it via measuring from top of tube but ended with same result

• Like 1
Dunnster
8 minutes ago, Iron horse said:

I did the same as the manual spec is > 1 litre, so bought two. In practise, you can't drain all the oil residue from the forks so 500 each is about right. I did it via measuring from top of tube but ended with same result

Yeah! That figures, never crossed my mind that all the old oil wouldn't have drained out, even though I left the legs suspended upside down for a bit. 

• Like 1