Front Brake Issues - advice please

axis

I recently experienced this on my 700x. I now exactly the feeling. Remove, clean put some copper grease on the brake pad retaining pin. Should see you right in 10 minutes

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• axis

• Tex

• Andy m

• Rocker66

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With front wheel  off the ground  does it spin freely  , pump front brake , now does it still move freely  , if not , Pull caliper off and clean and regrease the slider pins but not with copper grease

Some people you can’t help though. On my way to work one night I was following a quite expensive looking  car which had one rear light out. We both pulled into a filling station so I walked over to th

Look to the obvious first my friend . You need to elevate the front wheel , even if it's by getting some one to lean against the stand and spin the wheel to see if the disc runs true after that check

Posted Images

not wheel weight fallen off is it?

KingJames

IIRC correctly there should be a small tab of metal that holds the pad firmly in location so they aren't moving around inside the caliper.  That was in there when you took it apart right?

SteveThackery

How fast is the pulsing?  If it's at wheel speed, it'll be something like a warped disc, or more likely some contamination on the disc from when the pads were fitted (grease?).

If it's so fast it's almost a buzzing, it'll be the ABS kicking in.  For some reason I felt this occasionally on my NC, even though the road didn't seem slippery.  But it was only on occasion - if it's all the time, it'll be the disc.

• Like 2
Herr Flick
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:46, Tex said:

I tend to agree. But it’s very odd if it’s come on suddenly? I mean, discs don’t warp in the garage overnight..

No, you're right. I think owners often don't notice a fault developing until it gets serious. Thinking about things like not noticing a dry chain, gradual increase in noise etc signs not picked up on till it's quite developed. Used to see a lot of that sort of thing when I worked in the shops on other peoples kit. Maybe the bike was parked with the disc in the sun too long? (Joke! ;-) )

• Like 1

Hi all - in response, yes all looked OK on the front brake setup - retaining pin ok and lubed, pad retaining spring in place.

I've ordered a bike lift and will update when I'm able to get the front wheel off the floor and investigate further.

• Thanks 1

Just to clarify, there was no sign/feel of this issue before it first started Tue morning. Front brake has always been v good in terms of feel and power.

10 minutes ago, Herr Flick said:

No, you're right. I think owners often don't notice a fault developing until it gets serious.

Lost count of the number of calls to cars with no dipped beams.

“Bulbs are gone Sir”

”Nonsense! Both can’t blow together!”

”Indeed, Sir, but you have probably been driving with only one working for months..”

MikeBike
39 minutes ago, Tex said:

Lost count of the number of calls to cars with no dipped beams.

“Bulbs are gone Sir”

”Nonsense! Both can’t blow together!”

”Indeed, Sir, but you have probably been driving with only one working for months..”

That reminded me that I was following the same SPAR delivery van on 2 days in 2 different parts of north wales a week ago with only one of three brake lights working. Just emailed them. May save someone's bacon ;-)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

That reminded me that I was following the same SPAR delivery van on 2 days in 2 different parts of north wales a week ago with only one of three brake lights working. Just emailed them. May save someone's bacon ;-)

Yep, another old favourite. It’s only after their one remaining brake light fails and some poor sod runs into the back of them.. (sigh).

• Like 1
Rocker66

Some people you can’t help though. On my way to work one night I was following a quite expensive looking  car which had one rear light out. We both pulled into a filling station so I walked over to the lady driver to tell her thinking she would appreciate me telling her rather than the police doing so. Her attitude was to ask me in a very upmarket voice what it had got to do with me and suggested that I might like to go away although go away wasn’t the two words she used.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
Trev
6 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Some people you can’t help though. On my way to work one night I was following a quite expensive looking  car which had one rear light out. We both pulled into a filling station so I walked over to the lady driver to tell her thinking she would appreciate me telling her rather than the police doing so. Her attitude was to ask me in a very upmarket voice what it had got to do with me and suggested that I might like to go away although go away wasn’t the two words she used.

Was it 'please go away in short, jerky movements' ?:whistle:

• Haha 1
Rocker66
1 minute ago, Trev said:

Was it 'please go away in short, jerky movements' ?:whistle:

Something like that.I believe the polite term is Foxtrot Oscar.😀

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 2
Andy m

Take a phone pic as she stops to rejoin the traffic. No need to post it on plods twittering, just make sure she see's you 😈

Andy

Grumpy old man

Hi, Any updates?

Trumpet

An old favourite for Bikes used over winter is long term corrosion between the wheel alloy and the Disk. Used to affect cb500's and others.

Edited by Trumpet
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Trumpet said:

An old favourite for Bikes used over winter is long term corrosion between the wheel alloy and the Disk. Used to affect cb500's and others.

Haven’t heard of that one. Learning something new every day! Thanks Alan. 

Trumpet

Me too, never stop learning, just start forgetting as I get older !

• Haha 1

A quick way of warping discs used to be keeping the front brake on after stopping hard from high speed . This caused the disc to cool unevenly and created a warp...So quicker than overnight !

• Like 1
Andy m

Twenty five years in the brake business and I never heard of that one 😁

DAF and Mercedes and a few others must be worried, their hand brakes work on the same disc as the foot brake. 

A disc temperature is always uneven. The peak temperature is between the trailing edge of the pad and the last pressure point, the last calliper pot for hydraulic brakes. As soon as the disk is in air the outer surface which is moving faster and the bolt holes which conduct energy away start to cool. The coolest point is as it re-enters the calliper. 

The thing is, these brakes are always too cold. The test, or equivalent on a track is to go about fifteen miles down the Obersaltzberg, past Adolfs old house, applying the brake every 200 yards. In the car park at Berchesgarten Town the disc will be glowing cherry red and the paint on the hub will be bubbling. The vehicle then has to meet its secondary performance. Cheese grater holes and chocolate starfish shapes help on this test, but otherwise cool an under temperature disc. 

Motorcycle Discs warp because they are cheap and nasty. They are stamped or laser cut from rolled sheet. The rolling puts stresses in like the grain in wood and the stamping process adds more. At some point internal changes due to normal heat cycles and chemical reactions due to salt and the like releases the tension and they roll up like the Daily Fail in the bookies when #9 falls at the second fence. A good disc is cast iron. Moto Guzzi used them and BMW's could be fitted with them. The structure is more coral than wood so better in many ways. However, they are rusty when after the "off season" Charlie decides to visit Starbucks and look nothing like the ones Signore Rossi changes every 250 miles. 

Andy

• Like 3
Wedgepilot
On 12/03/2019 at 22:43, Trumpet said:

I had that problem on an old ford fiesta years ago, thought the disk had warped, but the hub had started corroding and needed cleaned up.

Rev Ken

I had a Yamaha Majesty (when I was too weak to ride a bike) and coming down Hardknott Pass I had to continually use my brakes as it is a CVT so couldn't 'change down'. I got to the bottom. stopped at the junction, then couldn't move as my front brake had seized on to the disc. After waiting for about 10 minutes, it released itself. Of course it could have been the brake fluid that boiled rather than a seized 'pot' in an overheated disc/caliper.

Mister Paul
On 3/7/2019 at 11:51, Rocker66 said:

I took some rubbish to the tip a couple of months ago. I followed a Golf in that had one brake light out. When I'd emptied my boot I went over to the driver and told her. She said that it couldn't possibly be true as her dashboard hadn't told her so. 

Edited by Mister Paul
  • Haha 2
Walklikegump
12 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

dashboard hadn't told her so

computer says no 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all - pulsing went away when the caliper was taken apart, cleaned and put back together so poss some crud in there making the pads interact with the lip of the disc which was pretty worn. Now have a new front disc and pads and all is well. Valves checked/adjusted (v slight adjustment needed on 3). Coming up to 5 years on this bike now and still v happy with it as a general all-rounder/commuter. Battery is on its way out - any recommendations for a battery with better performance/lifetime then the one that came with the bike ? thanks

• Like 1