neojynx

Which battery

neojynx

Love my NC750X but on my second battery which gave up the ghost today.  I bought a Motobatt and heard they are crap.  I agree they are.

Anyway looking to change, probably go for a lithium.  Any recommendations which wont cost an arm and a leg. I only have standard light but have heated gloves.

trisaki

I fit motobatt batteries to most of my customers bikes plus my own , never had a problem  , cant let them  go flat , don't take to recharging very well 

Argyll

I don't know why I keep buying Motobatt as I've had loads of problems with them using trickle chargers. Several died within 12 months but I still have a couple lying around the garage which I use for other things and they seem to hold a charge for ages. Can't explain it!

maoleoin

I fitted a Leoch which was cheap (£34.95) enough to take a punt on I thought. Terminal nuts were a bit tricky to fit as not captive, but hasn't missed a beat yet, been in five winter months, no extra electrical kit fitted though. I do use a trickle charger (Battery Tender) but have only attached it a couple of times with this battery, more as a precaution and to check if it took any charge which it didn't. Search for YTZ14S Genuine Leoch AGM on that auction site.

makman

I'm a MotoBatt user as well for several bikes now, Triumphs, Suzuki and Honda.  Worked well for me.  Better than Rob Hunter batteries any day of the week.

I've looked at Lithium, but am wary as the battery sits over the engine and gets warm, and I don't like heating lithium batteries for obvious reasons.

Golflad

I had problems with my battery when I first got my NC. Grantham Honda put a new one on as original U/S. I fitted my TomTom mount and thought all ok. Went to start bike after some bad weather and flat battery; a friend cane to have a look and decided it was the TomTom powered mount that had flattened the battery. Yes, I had just connected it straight to the battery. I now have a 12v socket in front storage and manually connect TomTom, Heated Grips and a double USB socket when and if they are needed. No further problems (Fingers crossed) OMG what have I done!

ste7ios
12 hours ago, makman said:

I'm a MotoBatt user as well for several bikes now, Triumphs, Suzuki and Honda.  Worked well for me.  Better than Rob Hunter batteries any day of the week.

I've looked at Lithium, but am wary as the battery sits over the engine and gets warm, and I don't like heating lithium batteries for obvious reasons.

Don’t worry about it. You may have in mind Lion batteries used in cell phones, etc. but the “Lion” describes a whole family of chemistries (there are more than 6) where each one has its own properties.

LiFePO4 is used for SLI usage because it’s compatible with a lead acid AGM battery

and it’s safe.

Heat will only make it suffer and decrease its lifetime but exactly the same happens with lead acid batteries as well...

The ideal temperature for every battery chemistry is around 77°F / 25°C.

On mobile devices, laptops, etc they’re using LiCoO2 batteries. They have much larger capacity but they are very sensitive to overcharging that may lead to thermal runaway...

My Ballistic battery with A123 System’s cells is running for almost  5-6 years without any problems under the very hot Greek summers... The only concern is their very small capacities in conjunction with my high parasitic drain (alarm + oiler).

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

• Like 2

SteveThackery

I never fitted a LiFePO4 battery to my NC, but I've fitted two to my other bikes and I think they are great.  Lighter and smaller than the lead acid, and although the amp-hour rating is less (about half), that doesn't matter because it's the starting current capability that you need.

Obviously if you've got an accessory that is powered even when the bike is switched off (e.g. an incorrectly wired USB adapter), then the lithium battery will go flat about twice as fast as the lead acid, but the solution is to wire your accessories correctly.  Both will support the few milliamps current the panel draws for months, so you don't need to worry about that.  LiFePO4 batteries have a lower self-discharge rate than lead acid, so you can leave them on the shelf for ages without harm..

Ciaran1602

On the few occasions I've had to replace batteries, I've always bought Yuasa. Not had a bad one yet.

• Like 2

Tex
27 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

On the few occasions I've had to replace batteries, I've always bought Yuasa. Not had a bad one yet.

Yep. Yuasa batteries, NGK plugs, Castrol oils.. job’s a good ‘un. :niceone:

embee
Posted (edited)

I have a Shido Lithium battery in my Integra. It is 1/4 the weight of the std Yuasa YTZ14S. Spins the engine very effectively and not had any issues with charging or capacity, but I do not use it for commuting in winter etc. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248963

They are a bit sensitive to being cold, the typical advice if it's been soaked at near freezing is to turn the ignition  (and therefore lights) on for a few minutes which warms the battery enough to enable it to then deliver starting current satisfactorily.

While they are usually of lower amp-hour capacity on the label, in practice it isn't as bad as it looks because a lead-acid battery probably won't start it when it's lost half its charge or similar anyway. The plus side is that a Li-ion battery will recharge much quicker than a similar lead-acid version.

Ultimately you pays your money and takes your choice. Li-ion will cost the most if that's a priority. The above link has the Yuasa YTZ14S at £20 less, you may well find it cheaper elsewhere though that supplier will price match, they did for me.

If  you have power hungry accessories and are worried about running the battery down in traffic it's worth considering feeding the accessories via a battery saver device like http://www.brocott.co.uk/kemo-m148a-adjustable-battery-guard-12volt-20-amp/

Edited by embee
  • Thanks 1