Sign in to follow this  
alhendo1

New PR5s fitted today

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, outrunner said:

I was thinking along the lines of a CB500X sometime in the future and have just looked up the tyre sizes and Road 5's are available to fit the bike.

Andy.

Apparently not for the 2019 model with the 19” front wheel. I had PR4s on my two previous CB500X s.

Dunnster
23 hours ago, embee said:

No machine, just a beadbreaker stand and a fitting bar. I made a stand with beadbreaker but it is essentially like one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-TC965-Motorcycle-Mini-Changer/dp/B001SFMLSK though mine is bench mounted for space reasons but same principle.

(example picked at random, you may well find cheaper).

I searched around for fitting bars and came up with this type https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-TC963-Aluminium-Wheels-Multicoloured/dp/B000RA2TU2

and again I made a version of it which I find works very well with tubeless motorcycle tyres. There are youtube vids showing how they work.

Similarly I made a balancer stand, but they are available at sensible money, for example something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Tyre-Wheel-Tools/Ryde-Motorcycle-Wheel-Balancer-Stand/B00DRFXW0U

There are reputable tyre supplies retailers on the auction site for valves and weights.

I use https://www.mandp.co.uk/tyre-fitting-gel-lube-250ml.html for fitting, a 250ml tub will do several tens of tyres, if you are doing it professionally then a bigger tub is more cost effective but for doing a few tyres then 250ml will do fine.

It's debatable how cost effective getting all the kit is for personal use, but I do it mainly for the convenience and being able to do tyres for friends and the convenience it gives them.

Excellent, thanks so much for the info. :flowers:

embee

Just took the Integra out for its first run on the front Road5, it still has a half worn PR4 on the rear.

First impressions, apart from the joys of new booties, is that it feels softer over harsh grainy surfaces, the sort where the top dressing stones are breaking out leaving small bare patches. Hard to remember what the old tyre was like but I'm sure this is more absorbent of the grainy surface. I set it at the same 36psi as the previous tyre (calibrated gauge so pretty much right).

The other thing which seems very noticeable is that it's a lot easier to steer at very slow speeds feet-up, I always felt the PR4 "grabbed" the road and I ended up consciously having to steer it at walking pace, ending up tending to weave quite a bit. The R5 seems much easier to turn so the bike does most of the steering itself, needing a lot less input from me and so a much straighter line of progress.

So far the impression is superb. Just need to wear out that rear so I can fit the R5 which is sitting waiting in the garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scootabout
On 06/04/2019 at 16:59, embee said:

The other thing which seems very noticeable is that it's a lot easier to steer at very slow speeds feet-up, I always felt the PR4 "grabbed" the road and I ended up consciously having to steer it at walking pace, ending up tending to weave quite a bit.

I find that, too. I'd assumed it was just my clumsy riding. Nice to hear it's not just me!

• Like 1

Rev Ken
On 07/04/2019 at 21:35, Scootabout said:

I find that, too. I'd assumed it was just my clumsy riding. Nice to hear it's not just me!

And me - but my slow riding has deteriorated so must practice!

• Like 1

baben

Well I took a deep breath and had R5s put on front and rear. Done about 140 miles so far. They feel very stable and planted and the turn in on bends is lovely, and they seem to track like they are on rails - so very pleased so far. Completely different feel to my Pirelli STs but not in a bad way. So far no rain but hopefully will find them equally confidence inspiring when the heavens open.

• Like 4

Rocker66
31 minutes ago, baben said:

Well I took a deep breath and had R5s put on front and rear. Done about 140 miles so far. They feel very stable and planted and the turn in on bends is lovely, and they seem to track like they are on rails - so very pleased so far. Completely different feel to my Pirelli STs but not in a bad way. So far no rain but hopefully will find them equally confidence inspiring when the heavens open.

Judging by my experience with PR3s & PR4s I’m sure that they will fine in wet conditions.

alhendo1
5 hours ago, baben said:

So far no rain but hopefully will find them equally confidence inspiring when the heavens open.

My experience of them in the rain is that they are fantastic....I picked the bike up after having them fitted and rode for about an hour in sopping wet conditions....not even scrubbed in they were great👍

• Thanks 1

embee

Just been out for another ride on the Integra with the R5 front. The overall impression it's giving me is "leisurely". It just seems to do everything in a well controlled and uneventful progressive way, certainly not like some "urgent" tyres I've experienced in the past. To that end the R5 might not be the tyre of choice for an out-and-out sports rider wanting quick steering, but for a cooking bike like the NC it seems the dog's do-dahs.

• Like 1

alhendo1

Agree 100%.

• Like 1

makman

My BT023 rear has 7500 it at the moment. Time to change before MOT is due in less than a month.

Rev Ken

Have done 985 miles on my front R5. Very good; best thing is that it doesn't 'track' on roads that have been 'planed', leaving those grooves, especially in the middle of the lane where other vehicles haven't 'smoothed' them over. Very reassuring on bends and although I only had 30 miles of light rain, it felt very reassuring, even when the road was 'greasy'.:D

Slow riding takes care as it became very 'light' - I was 'wobbling' at the start as I was over-correcting. It has reminding me that my slow riding needs more practice!:BangHead:

Rear PR4 will be replaced with a R5 in due course!

• Like 2

neojynx

I'm so happy with the Avon Storms, I'll be having them again and save myself some money.  That's after having nothing but Michelins for a number of years.

DelBoy
On 4/5/2019 at 14:48, Rev Ken said:

Just fitted a front  R5. To my surprise the front PR4 has worn more rapidly than the back tyre (on F800GT) as three sets of PR4s on my CBF1000 wore a set out each time. The front tyre has done 6,000 miles, but there is probably 500 - 1,000 mile left before it is illegal. (Like shoes I never economise on tyres!) So the rear tyre is doing remarkably well.

Discussing it with John, (Lakeland Motorcycles, Pica) his theory is that the CofG is further forward than on the majority of bikes. His justification is than when doing the MOT he got a higher reading on the front wheel before it locked. Many years ago I worked on the principle of one rear and two fronts, but then brakes weren't as good then - nor the tyres!

I'll let you know how it goes after a few miles. (Michelin don't use release agents - unlike Dunlops - so running them in is not difficult and they already feel very secure on the road.)

Alan, while we are Michelin fans, other manufacturers have been catching up and I'm sure you'll find some tyres that are 'nearly' as good! 

That's interesting.

Had exactly that on my Ducati Diavel

I also had the same with Road 5's fitted to on my NC750X, front wore out before the rear.

I therefore decided to go back to PR4's. However, when I took the bike in the tyre man suggested that  from the way  the tyres were worn that I have running the tyres underinflated.

I must admit that I do not cheek the pressures as much as I should (lesson well learned).

He did convince me that the Road 5's were a better choice (same price as PR4's with Michelins deal).

So had Road 5's fitted again.

BTW I got 11.5k miles from the last pair, so not bad really.

roddy

My PR5's are being fitted today, can't wait to try them out. Just seen a revzilla video on them, they come with  fantastic reviews.

Rev Ken

I'm very happy with my '5'. Bike more stable when 'trying', but at very low speeds the steering is very light - it has taken me a bit of tome to get used to that! (done around 1200 mile on it (front tyre) but will be replacing the rear PR4 soon. 

Rocker66
On 05/04/2019 at 21:15, outrunner said:

I was thinking along the lines of a CB500X sometime in the future and have just looked up the tyre sizes and Road 5's are available to fit the bike.

Andy.

When I emailed Michelin they said not so I don’t know who is correct.

Tex
7 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

When I emailed Michelin they said not so I don’t know who is correct.

The range of sizes available will increase as time goes by until the next model (R6?) comes along. 

sid
On 04/04/2019 at 22:42, Rocker66 said:

That’s one one of the few downsides to the CB500X I can’t get either PR4s or PR5s in the appropriate size.

Same for the Rebel.

I'm gonna go for the Commander 2's instead.

SlasherMCT

2K miles on Road 5's now - happy with them.  Haven't ridden much in the wet yet, but no problems when I did.

Sinclair48K

I've just replaced the BT023 I had for Avon Storms after the good reviews on here. First impression is that is goes down in the corners so much easier, but then the old rear BT023 had squared off a little.

Mind you I had managed about 18,000 miles on them so can't beat them for mileage, the front had definately gone, the rear had more life left in it though. Commute about 90 miles per day, mix of A roads and London driving.

Griff

Road 5's are probably the best tyres I have used on a motorcycle to date. I have a 5/4 combo on the X-Adv and a pair of 5's on my Strom. I would obviously like to have the pair on the X but thats not possible as yet. Very happy in all weathers with the 5's. 

alhendo1

"Holy thread Revival batman😂" 

Just an update folks.... The Road5s are done now...one of two things is about to happen here... Either the 500x will be traded in for something else or I'll chuck a fair bit of cash at it and replace the tyres and get a valve service done(which is overdue..)... Decisions decisions... Anyhoo.... The Road5s have been fantastic and have carried my carcass around for 12000 miles through a mixture of everything from B roads to boring motorway stints... Even though the profile has gone they still perform well in all weather's and have been the best tyres I've had on a bike yet. Highly recommended. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

embattle

Like others I know on my Integra the original front seems to be wearing faster than the rear.

Tex
2 hours ago, embattle said:

Like others I know on my Integra the original front seems to be wearing faster than the rear.

Yes, perfectly normal on an Integra. Not sure if it’s the same on the other NCs? And, if not, why not?