fj_stuart

Gold Wing Adventure Bike

fj_stuart
Posted (edited)

My favourite bike at the Scottish Bike show on Saturday was this Gold Wing GL1000 adventure bike. An amazing example of custom building.

Although a Gold Wing adventure bike seems a strange idea it didn't look that big next to a BMW GS or Triumph Explorer etc.

d%252301.jpg

Edited by fj_stuart
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Mr Toad
Posted (edited)

Very nice and certainly something I'd be happy to ride. A friend of mine has a  GL1000 that he's had for thirty odd years and he still loves riding it.

That beak, and possibly the tank, looks very much like it came off a BMW :) 

There are some very clever people out there doing wonderful things.

Edited by Mr Toad
  • Like 2

Tex

2 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

Perfectly true, thank goodness. :niceone:

It would have been my favourite too, I think. Mostly because it’s just beautifully done. Paint it in a more ‘sober’ colour and folks would walk past it without noticing. Genius. When the GL1000 first came out it seemed huge, but now it’s been overtaken and left behind in the size stakes. 

fj_stuart
35 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

Very nice and certainly something I'd be happy to ride. A friend of mine has a  GL1000 that he's had for thirty odd years and he still loves riding it.

That beak, and possibly the tank, looks very much like it came off a BMW :) 

I had a chance to talk to the builder/owner. The tank is BMW GS, the rear bodywork Aprilia (I think). The frame is a modified original.

• Thanks 2

fj_stuart
33 minutes ago, Tex said:

Perfectly true, thank goodness. :niceone:

It would have been my favourite too, I think. Mostly because it’s just beautifully done. Paint it in a more ‘sober’ colour and folks would walk past it without noticing. Genius. When the GL1000 first came out it seemed huge, but now it’s been overtaken and left behind in the size stakes. 

The built quality was so good it looked like it came from the factory.

It says something about modern big adventure bikes that the GW looked quite dainty in comparison.

• Like 2

Tex
15 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

I had a chance to talk to the builder/owner. The tank is BMW GS, the rear bodywork Aprilia (I think). The frame is a modified original.

Rear bodywork looks very like Apriia Pegaso (the second generation). Really appreciate the photo and information, Stuart. Absolutely love bikes like that. :niceone:

• Like 1

Grumpy Meltdown
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tex said:

Rear bodywork looks very like Apriia Pegaso (the second generation). Really appreciate the photo and information, Stuart. Absolutely love bikes like that. :niceone:

For beautiful engineering and some interesting projects, google Allen Millard.

Have a look at his Facebook page, loads of pics of his creations on there.

Edited by Grumpy Meltdown
  • Thanks 1

Ciaran1602

When I saw this thread I thought 'surely no one is mad enough to put a 1.8 litre flat 6 in a nominally off-road bike!'

Course I forget the Goldwing is 21 years older than I am :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Rocker66
3 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

When I saw this thread I thought 'surely no one is mad enough to put a 1.8 litre flat 6 in a nominally off-road bike!'

Course I forget the Goldwing is 21 years older than I am :lol:

That’s right rub it in and give some of us another reason to feel old.😂

• Haha 4

Ciaran1602
Just now, Rocker66 said:

That’s right rub it in and give some of us another reason to feel old.😂

Glad to be of service! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

outrunner
25 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Glad to be of service! :lol:

Tsk, Tsk, youngsters nowadays. ;) That bike is a thing of beauty if a little BMWesque, must have spent a good few hours, days, months or even years doing that. Proper special builders are to be admired.

Andy.

• Like 1

Ciaran1602
1 minute ago, outrunner said:

Tsk, Tsk, youngsters nowadays. ;) That bike is a thing of beauty if a little BMWesque, must have spent a good few hours, days, months or even years doing that. Proper special builders are to be admired.

Andy.

Ornery and disrespectful the lot of us, sir!

It makes me think of a BMW F650 Funduro if it had been tanking up on the whey protein.

Andy m

That's brilliant. 😁😁😁😁🤣

If you think half a ton of touring bike will develop anti-gravity sky hooks because if has a beak you may as well get the best half ton touring bike 😂😁😁😁😊

Andy

• Haha 1