Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Meltdown

Messerschmitt on the bench

Grumpy Meltdown

Well, I’ve started my next project, a Messerschmitt 109E-4

So far the pilot, cockpit and engine are done, all the internal bits painted.

348C5EF0-963F-449E-9BF3-65C27173D1CB.jpeg.2b2f200e6e5012fe2e4af392a1a687f4.jpeg

This is the first aircraft kit I’ve built where the pilot can actually hold the joystick.

Normally the arms are nowhere near. Bigger surprise, the feet touch the rudder pedals.

• Like 12

pjm

Nice.which kit is it?

Grumpy Meltdown

It’s an old Airfix. Another one that’s been waiting ages for me to start.

arengle
12 minutes ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

It’s an old Airfix. Another one that’s been waiting ages for me to start.

should I understand you are like me, buy a lot of kits and keep them in the box until you are in the mood to assemble them? 

(I think I have over 100 kits still in the box)

• Haha 1

Grumpy Meltdown
21 minutes ago, arengle said:

should I understand you are like me, buy a lot of kits and keep them in the box until you are in the mood to assemble them? 

(I think I have over 100 kits still in the box)

😂😂 Not quite, I only have the 109 and a 1/24 Hurricane at the moment.

• Like 1

Andy m
Posted (edited)

Lovely. 

As a newly returned modeller I'm sticking to 1:72

This is my fourth since I started after a 30 year break. A couple were real bargains off the auction site, so bits missing, really old and warped etc. but good practice. My BF-109 is wrong for the period but the aim to do Battle of Britain aircraft. Next is a HE-111

And, do you also find it annoying you don't get a swastika anymore? OK, it makes sense having one kit you can sell anywhere, but it does mean you proper modellers either have to buy them or have a less accurate paint scheme. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 4

baben

Nicely done Andy. I am sticking to 1:48 at the moment as I find the bits are too teeny at 1:72. Currently struggling to get an airbrush to work! I am building Russian early WW2 stuff at the moment - I have a thing for i 15 biplanes! 

i15.jpg

• Like 6

baben

This is a Lagg 3. Pilots reckoned this stood for lakurovanny garantorovanny grob. Or guaranteed varnished coffin on account of it being made from wood and pretty crap.

lagg.jpg

• Like 5

Grumpy Meltdown
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Lovely. 

As a newly returned modeller I'm sticking to 1:72

This is my fourth since I started after a 30 year break. A couple were real bargains off the auction site, so bits missing, really old and warped etc. but good practice. My BF-109 is wrong for the period but the aim to do Battle of Britain aircraft. Next is a HE-111

And, do you also find it annoying you don't get a swastika anymore? OK, it makes sense having one kit you can sell anywhere, but it does mean you proper modellers either have to buy them or have a less accurate paint scheme. 

Andy

You’ve got me flummoxed with this one! What is it, a real aircraft, or one of your creations?

Yes I do, but decall sheets aren’t that expensive. The bonus with them is the opportunity to do specific squadron and ID numbers.

Ive not gone down that route yet, but I tend to go for brass machined gun barrels where they can be seen, brass etched instrument panels and micro cloth harnesses where possible, although only in 1:24 scale as they are really fiddly even with a magnifying glass!

Andy m
Posted (edited)

Boulton-Paul Defiant 

Cutting edge technology for 2 weeks either side of April 1st 1938 when bombers were fast enough compared to fighters to make zero deflection shooting from the rear lethal to the fighter. Deflection shooting defeated even most of the Aces which is solved using a turret to pick your point of attack and flying parallel . Once the conventional  fighter designs caught up the turret fighter concept became silly. They taught a few BF-109 pilots aircraft recognition the hard way over Dunkirk, but after that were death traps by day. Did well at night as AI radar came in. 

This, following my theme is a 264 Squadron day version from August 1940 just as they were getting a hammering and were about to be sent North out of harms way. 

A real one at Hendon https://photos.app.goo.gl/wgev678LQ7ELvRim8 with the turret fairing in "pursue" rather than "fire" mode. 

I'm definitely not getting into extra decals and brass gun barrels. Opened but Un-molested kits off the auction site are my level of commitment 😁

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2

baben

The Defiant was built by Boulton Paul who are better known for making fitted kitchens which might explain the plane. 

• Haha 2

Grumpy Meltdown

That site is where I found the Hurricane. 

Plenty of other scales easily bought, but the 1:24 new are like hens teeth. Got one for a steal as the box was tatty and one of the fuselage halves was broken.

I just love the detail that laser etching can give..

B72F2553-167E-44AB-8065-0E20FC45DF09.jpeg.22c9f6df63b0eba12483c4808c266100.jpeg

I still can’t believe that cloth can be woven this fine...

75806309-247B-494B-98E7-E69C0A2A3418.jpeg.2a29eb074280c6648e321c0c4521a407.jpeg

I made quite a bit of progress today, I’m just waiting for the wings to set and they’ll be on tonight.

446D56FD-2494-4A3B-A9A3-4EEF0142A39E.jpeg.feb29e6274efbd4e8b0382ff5cb6c095.jpeg

• Like 4

Grumpy Meltdown
42 minutes ago, baben said:

The Defiant was built by Boulton Paul who are better known for making fitted kitchens which might explain the plane. 

You mock, but De Havilland made a point of going to furniture makers G Plan to get them to build quite a bit of the Mosquitos. 😀

• Thanks 1

baben

That looks really challenging! I play Warthunder on my old computer and one of my favourite planes is the 109 E3. The E1 only has mgs while this has cannon. The E4 has better cannon and armour for the pilot but visibility is not as good and it does not handle quite so sweetly. They are all pigs to get off the ground though!  Feed power in carefully, right rudder and a bit of aileron as you unstick otherwise it ground loops to the left.

• Thanks 1

baben
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

You mock, but De Havilland made a point of going to furniture makers G Plan to get them to build quite a bit of the Mosquitos. 😀

True, one of the Mossies strong points was that making it in plywood meant many more factories could tool up to make them. Also they were effectively a stealth plane as they had a very low radar reflectivity. I knew a chap who flew the bomber version and he had a great affection for them. Reckoned 200mph at 50 feet or lower was exciting when you had a huge bomb strapped to it. He said that the bomb was so heavy that they hung it on the plane and then took off asap before the under carriage collapsed

Edited by baben
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Andy m

It's a pity we are now losing the generation who flew these aircraft. I hope our recording technology has been used to collect enough of what they knew. 

A friend of my Great Uncle was a Swordfish pilot. He knew I'd done bits of navigation in warm places and we had a good chat. I'd assumed he'd know about star sights, sun compasses etc. He did but found a road map and following railway lines easier. Landing to ask directions was officially frowned upon but not entirely unknown. The trick was apparently to keep the aircraft nose on so the Army thought it was the RAF who were lost and didn't see FAA squadron codes. You can imagine the conversation "I say old chap, do you know the way to Benghazi?". 

Andy

• Like 1

listener
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

You can imagine the conversation "I say old chap, do you know the way to Benghazi?". 

"Sorry can't hear ya cos of yer engine. The khazi?! It's over there, mate."

PS: When I saw the thread I thought, "Grumpy must have a bloody big garage and a hell of a love for DIY spannering." :whistle:

Edited by listener
  • Haha 1

Grumpy Meltdown
10 hours ago, listener said:

"Sorry can't hear ya cos of yer engine. The khazi?! It's over there, mate."

PS: When I saw the thread I thought, "Grumpy must have a bloody big garage and a hell of a love for DIY spannering." :whistle:

When I was an apprentice sheet metalworker,  I did actually make an instrument panel for a Spit.

It was for a chap that lived up the road who was building the proper full size aircraft, from blueprints,  in his garage.

When he ran out of room he transferred it to a hanger at Luton Airport.

He did eventually complete it but couldn’t afford the Merlin. The last I heard it was still there.

outrunner

Will you guys stop it please, good biking weather on the horizon and you have got me thinking about building models again.

Andy.

Grumpy Meltdown
11 hours ago, outrunner said:

Will you guys stop it please, good biking weather on the horizon and you have got me thinking about building models again.

Andy.

I’ll try, but no guarantee. 😗

listener
16 hours ago, Grumpy Meltdown said:

When I was an apprentice sheet metalworker,  I did actually make an instrument panel for a Spit.

It was for a chap that lived up the road who was building the proper full size aircraft, from blueprints,  in his garage.

When he ran out of room he transferred it to a hanger at Luton Airport.

He did eventually complete it but couldn’t afford the Merlin. The last I heard it was still there.

There's a guy (doctor I think) in Moffat who built a full size rep of a Spitfire in his front garden .

I'm not sure how accurate the innards are.

• Like 1

Andy m
1 hour ago, listener said:

I'm not sure how accurate the innards are.

You'd imagine 20mm cannon and/or Browning guns at 1:1 scale would be less than straightforward. 

Annoying the MOD commissioned glass fibre Spitfires as gate guardians while scrapping the real things. 

Andy

listener
4 hours ago, Andy m said:

You'd imagine 20mm cannon and/or Browning guns at 1:1 scale would be less than straightforward. 

Annoying the MOD commissioned glass fibre Spitfires as gate guardians while scrapping the real things. 

Andy

I was thinking cockpit/dash ... but yes fake guns would probably be a bit too far.

There's a real, but incomplete, Buccaneer at the eponymously named filling station in Elgin. 

outrunner

Quite a few years ago when I was a delivery driver there was an English Electric Lightning at the Ferranti factory at Sighthill in Edinburgh, after they closed it went to the Dumfries and Galloway aviation museum.

Andy.

outrunner

I have gone off aircraft a bit since I stopped flying RC, but I do have a 15 year old 1:24th scale White Western Star truck still untouched in the box on the to do list.

Andy.

• Like 1