Cheeky chef

Nc750x loudest exhauste

Cheeky chef

Hi .

Need my nc750x to be louder then what it is now .I'm annoyed at riding in busy London road and still not being seen by drivers .any advise on what's the loudest option for the NC ?

• Sigh 2

Andy m

If people can't see the huge red lorry I used to drive, the one with multi-tone sirens, blue lights, reflective stripes, camera to record stupid driving etc. I very much doubt half a Honda Jazz engine with even an open megaphone will make the slightest difference. 

It will however annoy everyone like a two year old with a vuvuzala and get them ****ed off with all of us. 

A Sound bomb horn is possibly what you need. 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

neojynx

Rider  / Driver awareness will make you far safer than a loud exhaust.  I do London every day myself from Southampton, 900 miles / week and find that loud exhausts just piss me off (even as a bike rider) and do very little for safety.

Good road position and awareness are far better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

alhendo1

In my experience filtering/riding in traffic you could have a brass band in front of you at full chat and a car driver in their air conditioned vehicle with the music on or texting won't hear you coming till the very last minute....I'd upgrade with a set of extra lights that might get you seen and obviously keep your wits about you....

Re the exhaust if you're changing it for a better tone/sound fair enough but obnoxiously loud isn't my cup of tea...just my suggestion but I'm not a great fan of crazy loud exhausts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SteveThackery

I agree with the other respondents: a loud exhaust will make very little difference to drivers noticing you, and it might actually elicit an aggressive response.  It also reinforces people's prejudices against motorcycles as noisy and antisocial, and that's the last thing we need.

Personally, I ride like I'm invisible - I try never to rely on a driver seeing me.

If you just want a loud exhaust anyway,  wait for a few hours - several forum members have fitted them and there is a lot of experience they will share.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

makman

Best thing is riding as if no one can see you. I've got an SP Engineering exhaust, took the baffle out and road it for two weeks like that. No difference, other than possibly waking up my neighbours twin 1 year olds at 6am.....  Baffle in, ride in expectation!

• Like 4

SteveThackery
1 minute ago, makman said:

I've got an SP Engineering exhaust, took the baffle out and road it for two weeks like that. No difference, other than possibly waking up my neighbours twin 1 year olds at 6am.....  

I, too, tried an SP Engineering exhaust.  It was a complete waste of money.  Very noisy, no difference at all to performance, but I'd arrive at my destination ragged and irritable from the constant din.

The best thing I did was to swap the downpipe for one without a catalytic converter (a 'decat').  The noise level rose very slightly, but more importantly gained a lovely, rich burbling quality.  There may have been a barely detectable increase in acceleration, but it was so slight it was probably imaginary.

I would definitely not change the original silencer, but that's just me.

• Like 1

Bigglesaircraft
Posted (edited)

As a very cheap experiment I have purchased a silencer from KKMOON, now, it was only 30€ but it is surprisingly very well made. It is much smaller and very much lighter and has baffles which could give you 3 choices of how much noise you wish to make. It actually is not too noisy at it's loudest, but quite a nice twin burble at it's middle noise adjustment although I have been told that it is not noisy in my village. One cautionary note, to fit it I had to have made a linking pipe to match the diameter of the NC downpipe to the larger diameter of the silencer and with a very precise 17 degree bend, I then had to weld on a bracket for the centre stand to rest on when in the raised position . 

So was it worth it, to have something very much smaller and lighter yes, but all the trouble in fitting it, no, but it was interesting exercise to do and at the moment it is there to stay.

Edited by Bigglesaircraft

Trev

I was sat in traffic, in the car, yesterday evening when I heard a rumbling from somewhere behind me , a quick check in the mirror showed a bike coming up the left side of me (three lanes of traffic) as it filtered to the front. It was a GS equipped with a decent sounding end can. I only checked my mirror because I heard the bike, loud exhausts can help make other road users aware you are there :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Andy m

The non-riding plebs in the next car were either looking for a Spitfire or just turned the radio up. 

Andy

• Like 2

Rocker66
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Trev said:

I was sat in traffic, in the car, yesterday evening when I heard a rumbling from somewhere behind me , a quick check in the mirror showed a bike coming up the left side of me (three lanes of traffic) as it filtered to the front. It was a GS equipped with a decent sounding end can. I only checked my mirror because I heard the bike, loud exhausts can help make other road users aware you are there :thumbsup:

But we’re you in London with all the other surrounding noise? There is also the fact that as  a motorcyclist yourself you are probably morecaware of the sound of a motorcycle than the average driver listening to his/her radio  satnav phone or kids would be

This was being typed as Andy posted.

Edited by Rocker66
  • Like 1

Tonyj

I don’t mind a louder exhaust but I’ve got a standard one on my nc now . I don’t think it’s a case of decibels it’s what you can afford really cheeky chef . I did have a skorpian end can on my 14 reg bike . It is now languishing in the garage couldn’t be bothered to refit it mainly due to the points made in the other post . Your choice really . 

• Like 1

baben

Lose the cat and get a lighter exhaust. Much nicer to ride without any extra noise. Not that I have done this of course, apart from anything else it is illegal.

• Like 1

Wilso122

I’ve ridden bikes in and around London for 20+ years, actually 1 year of 30!! Fek!, from 16 on a zr50 to cbr1100 blackbird to ducati’s with the baffles removed and full cat2 race system. Sorry to say that this makes no difference at all to people pulling out, walking in front of you or anything else, loud pipes save lives it utter bo@**ks, when the time comes nothing will stop the inevitable.

As said, good riding position, defensive riding and aux lights work the best, also going slower, much as I hate to say it... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cheeky chef

Ive fitted the giving LED SIDE LIGHT and it didn't help .I noticed that I started using the horn a bit too much and it annoys me more then anything ( I hate people who does it ) but I feel like if I don't beep at the drivers .the delivery guys vans etc  they LL not stop. 

anyway  don't want to spend extra money on the bike exhaust and you guys convinced me not to .many thanks to all of the Reply

• Like 5

Andy m

Can you do something like Bike safe in London? The plods take on it would be interesting. It's 23 years since I did the daily commute up the A3, Clapham, Peckham, Blackwall tunnel etc. and I don't envy anyone who has to. I can still do things in traffic that the local riders here view as insane. Bikesafe or a ROSPA run once in a while at least gives me ideas and keeps the more insane voices in my head in check. 

I use the horn a lot, but only during an incident never after. If I want to pass on my feelings l remember mirror-signal-manoeuvre. Check the mirrors to make sure Jeremy Vine and his helmet cam are not there. Signal, I like "Is this how you shake your can of hair gel" and the Jasper Carrot version of  "You put the Cock in Cockney". Then manoeuvre far enough away to get no further hassle from the ****. 😁

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tex

10 hours ago, Wilso122 said:

As said, good riding position, defensive riding and aux lights work the best, also going slower, much as I hate to say it... 

Bang on! Allow a little extra time for your journey, don’t treat every ride through traffic like a rehearsal for ‘MadMax 23’ and actually give way to people now and then. It’s amazing how much better life becomes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Wedgepilot
8 hours ago, Cheeky chef said:

.I noticed that I started using the horn a bit too much and it annoys me more then anything ( I hate people who does it ) but I feel like if I don't beep at the drivers .the delivery guys vans etc  they LL not stop. 

Us Brits are far too polite! 😁

The horn is a safety device to alert others to our presence, especially if they haven't seen us. Our continental cousins have the right idea on this. 

I have no problem giving a quick toot if I think a driver hasn't seen me, and it's why I haven't upgraded to a sound bomb, I think that would put me off using it. 

Bigglesaircraft
2 hours ago, Wedgepilot said:

Us Brits are far too polite! 😁

The horn is a safety device to alert others to our presence, especially if they haven't seen us. Our continental cousins have the right idea on this. 

I have no problem giving a quick toot if I think a driver hasn't seen me, and it's why I haven't upgraded to a sound bomb, I think that would put me off using it. 

Here in France the louder your horn the more likely you will be noticed and taken attention.

Trev
17 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

But we’re you in London with all the other surrounding noise? There is also the fact that as  a motorcyclist yourself you are probably morecaware of the sound of a motorcycle than the average driver listening to his/her radio  satnav phone or kids would be

This was being typed as Andy posted.

I was in Southampton which is pretty loud on the M27 at chuckout time although not sure where it was has anything to do with it, bikers get knocked off all over the country not just in London? 

Agreed I'm possibly more aware but still not sure why I wouldn't want the advantage of the few extra car drivers that may have looked? We do the same with hiviz and annoying LED lights in the vain hope that it gives 0.001% of someone being aware so a louder exhaust falls into the same category. 

• Like 1

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Trev said:

I was in Southampton which is pretty loud on the M27 at chuckout time although not sure where it was has anything to do with it, bikers get knocked off all over the country not just in London? 

Agreed I'm possibly more aware but still not sure why I wouldn't want the advantage of the few extra car drivers that may have looked? We do the same with hiviz and annoying LED lights in the vain hope that it gives 0.001% of someone being aware so a louder exhaust falls into the same category. 

Unlike extra lights and HiViz there is no scientific evidence to prove that loud exhaust make you more noticeable. However unlike the other two there is evidence that loud exhausts result in complaints from the general public. Also really loud exhausts are illegal whilst the other are two are not.

I only mentioned London as that’s where the OP was asking about.

Tex

Reminds me of when my daughter was driving me somewhere and I heard that unmistakable three cylinder whine nearby. I began looking around saying “There’s a Triumph round here somewhere” and she said “Oh, dad! You’re such a nerd!” :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

embee

Those of us who drive cars will know that sounds are probably the least useful signal for raising awareness of presence. I've had the discussion before that you often see on the police docusoaps on telly the officers will accuse members of the public of being numbskulls unaware of them approaching from behind at a hundred and silly mph on a motorway despite the lights and sirens. When in a car at 70mph you cannot hear sirens on an approaching emergency vehicle until they are very close, and then you can't tell where the sound is coming from, it is not sufficiently directional. Similarly nowadays with so many vehicles sporting running lights of nuclear white intensity even flashing blue lights blend into the general scenery in the rear view mirror.

That's not to excuse inattentive or oblivious drivers, it's just reality. On a motorway you spend the vast majority of your time concentrating (if at all) on what you are approaching at 70mph, not what you've left behind at 70mph, with some degree of justification. It would be nice if more folk were aware of what's going on around them generally, but it is what it is.

There have been studies to determine more directional sounds for emergency vehicles. A warble to draw attention then a white noise rasp to give direction has been shown to be effective, but of course in usual British tradition we just shout louder.

I agree with the other comments, some things can sometimes help with making yourself conspicuous but it can only ever be a secondary thing, the primary factor is assuming they don't know you're there.

Trev
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

Unlike extra lights and HiViz there is no scientific evidence to prove that loud exhaust make you more noticeable. However unlike the other two there is evidence that loud exhausts result in complaints from the general public. Also really loud exhausts are illegal whilst the other are two are not.

I only mentioned London as that’s where the OP was asking about.

I was stating the empirical evidence that the louder exhaust of the biker I saw on Wednesday made him visible to me in my mirrors when he otherwise wouldn't have been. I understand if you think it wouldn't have helped you spot him but that doesn't make it not true that at least one person spotted him because of the exhaust noise.. ..... and who says extra lights don't annoy the public? They annoy the sh*t out of me every time I get dazzled by a badly adjusted set of extra lights. 

Rocker66
11 minutes ago, Trev said:

I was stating the empirical evidence that the louder exhaust of the biker I saw on Wednesday made him visible to me in my mirrors when he otherwise wouldn't have been. I understand if you think it wouldn't have helped you spot him but that doesn't make it not true that at least one person spotted him because of the exhaust noise.. ..... and who says extra lights don't annoy the public? They annoy the sh*t out of me every time I get dazzled by a badly adjusted set of extra lights. 

But as I said previously you are a motorcyclist so likely tonotice the sound of a bike more than a non rider.

if you check out the number of complaints received by the authorities you will see loud motorcycles are high on the list whilst lights are not mentioned. You can hardly say that LED lights in general annoy the public due to a few misadjusted ones.