Cheeky chef

Nc750x loudest exhauste

Rev Ken

Long before Led lights were common, I fitted two 'reversing lights' to my Avon fairing on my 400 Superdream. Unfortunately they had festoon bulbs that failed regularly. I always knew when one blew as cars would pull out of side turnings when I was almost on them. Hence I am a great advocate of LED side lights spaced as far apart as possible on my bikes. I believe Hi-Viz can also be helpful, but only if drivers look! :BangHead:However my most recent kit isn't Hi-Viz, so I wear a Hi VIs vest in poor lighting conditions. The only place Hi Viz is a handicap is when riding on a minor road through Rape Seed fields!:console:

• Like 1

Tonyj

I think it's more about alerting pedestrians then vehicle drivers ( London ). Most bods come between vehicles so if they can hear you over the iPod they take a bit of care . Push bikers hear you behind so still pull out :0) but it helps . They rarely see a light unless it's in their peripheral vison every vehicle had drl so the argument is there for both . Has for the complaints the authorities have high on there list you'd hope homelessness , knife crime . Drug and drink related crime and poverty in the community would get there attention first .bigger fish and all that .

Rocker66
1 minute ago, Tonyj said:

I think it's more about alerting pedestrians then vehicle drivers ( London ). Most bods come between vehicles so if they can hear you over the iPod they take a bit of care . Push bikers hear you behind so still pull out :0) but it helps . They rarely see a light unless it's in their peripheral vison every vehicle had drl so the argument is there for both . Has for the complaints the authorities have high on there list you'd hope homelessness , knife crime . Drug and drink related crime and poverty in the community would get there attention first .bigger fish and all that .

I was referring to the list of complaints about noise. Apparently one of the other high  causes of complaint are lawnmowers.

Tonyj

I understand you rocker and was alluding to the type of complaints made by individuals when in a metropolis they would differ from a sleepy village plagued by dimwits on bikes causing problems on a Sunday morning . 

An exhaust note above the acceptable limit will become tiresome but can serve some purpose in and around London for instance but they don't just stay in London which is where it's an image issue more then safety concern.

Ciaran1602

Mindless technical question - Back in the day I remember having to play around the carbs when you fitted a new exhaust. Can I assume the ECU does all that stuff for you now?

• Like 1

Rocker66
11 minutes ago, Tonyj said:

I understand you rocker and was alluding to the type of complaints made by individuals when in a metropolis they would differ from a sleepy village plagued by dimwits on bikes causing problems on a Sunday morning . 

An exhaust note above the acceptable limit will become tiresome but can serve some purpose in and around London for instance but they don't just stay in London which is where it's an image issue more then safety concern.

Exactly and that’s one of the reasons that so many people are anti bike.  Also loud bikes also give many people a false impression of speed leading to complaints about bikes speeding through villages even when they aren’t.

• Like 1

Tex
11 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Mindless technical question - Back in the day I remember having to play around the carbs when you fitted a new exhaust. Can I assume the ECU does all that stuff for you now?

Pretty much. There’s a degree of adaptability built into the fuelling so it can sort itself out, for example, when you ride from sea level up a high mountain. Changing a can isn’t that big a deal. Even removing the Catalyst and fitting a better cam won’t upset the mixture in some cases. A lot of riders fit a Power Commander to make up for (assumed) weakness but unless it’s dialled in by an expert using a dyno it’s probably just a waste of money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SteveThackery
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Mostly.  The ECU on the NC is very simple compared with those fitted to cars.  For instance, it only has one O2 sensor so it doesn't know whether the cat is fitted or not, working or not.  The cat does produce significant back pressure, so I'd begin by ditching that.

The fuelling on modern bikes runs sometimes "closed loop" and other times "open loop".  "Closed loop" means it's monitoring the mixture using the O2 sensor and continually adjusting it.  That continues to work even when you've removed the cat, changed the silencer, or both *.  "Open loop" happens mostly when you are riding with large throttle openings and high engine revs - in those cases the ECU controls the fuelling using the internal map that was set up by the manufacturer.

"Open loop" doesn't monitor the mixture, so in theory a change to the intake or exhaust systems could affect the mixture adversely, without the ECU knowing.  In practice it hardly makes a difference, and what difference it does make has no significant effect.  At worst you'll get more noise but no more power.  At best you could buy a Power Commander and take it to a tuning expert with a dyno, who might be able to wring out another hp or so if you're lucky.

* The pre-Euro 4 NCs don't monitor the O2 after the cat, so don't know whether the cat is working or even fitted.  Does anyone know if Euro 4 requires double lambda sensors?  I don't think it does.

Edited by SteveThackery

Tex

1 hour ago, SteveThackery said:

* The pre-Euro 4 NCs don't monitor the O2 after the cat, so don't know whether the cat is working or even fitted.  Does anyone know if Euro 4 requires double lambda sensors?  I don't think it does.

Not for motorcycles. Possibly required for cars? Cars are on Euro 6 now, when that makes it to bikes we may see some changes. The Yaris has had to go from 1330cc to 1500cc to meet the regulations and keep the power the same (drives nicer though).