Strange noise on deceleration.

Ricky

Hi , guys wondering if anyone had encountered this problem. I have recently been on a road trip and have noticed that my nc 750 d integra 2018 

makes like a skreetching/ sqeeking noise when I left go of the gas. It does not do so one idling or when accelerating on neutral nor when gassing it on/off on first gear .

i am up for the first year service soon and just come back from trip to complete 10500km on clock.

Any ideas what I’m facing here?

bike behaves perfectly it is only this noise when letting go of the Gas.

arengle
4 hours ago, Ricky said:

Hi , guys wondering if anyone had encountered this problem. I have recently been on a road trip and have noticed that my nc 750 d integra 2018 

makes like a skreetching/ sqeeking noise when I left go of the gas. It does not do so one idling or when accelerating on neutral nor when gassing it on/off on first gear .

i am up for the first year service soon and just come back from trip to complete 10500km on clock.

Any ideas what I’m facing here?

bike behaves perfectly it is only this noise when letting go of the Gas.

probably not, but have a look at the chain, is adjusted properly, do you have stiff links, the sounds that you describe sounds like the one that chains make when it rubs on the drive chain slider

embee

Best to eliminate any brake issues. Ride the bike for a few km and slow down to a halt without using the brakes much, and then check to see if they are hot at all (carefully!!). They will nearly always be slightly warm but if you haven't been braking significantly they shouldn't be actually hot.

Check that the calipers are free on the sliding pins. You should be able to move the calipers a little on the pins

Check the rear wheel bearings with the bike on the centrestand. You shouldn't be able to feel any wear or slack and they should feel smooth, and the brake should not be dragging significantly (a little rubbing is normal).

Since it appears to be on overrun only, it could possibly be a leak on the intake, particularly between the throttle body and the cylinder head. It is a rubber sleeve type connector hose (6) with clips and it's just possible you're getting air leaking past the joints. When on overrun the pressure in the intake is at its lowest so is most likely to leak then. Unfortunately it's a nightmare to get to on an Integra.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-SCOOTER/INTEGRA/2018/NC750DJ/Engine/CYLINDER-CYLINDER-HEAD/98363/E_02/1/32002

CYLINDER-CYLINDER-HEAD-Honda-SCOOTER-750-INTEGRA-2018-NC750DJ-E_02.jpg.5cfd1bb93c1e94ad1ebc0c261ae1a8ad.jpg

It's difficult to describe such noises so without hearing it I'm guessing.

DaveM59

A 2018 bike with only 6000 miles shouldn't have wear on brake parts or leaking intakes as it probably has never been disturbed yet.

Even the chain should be barely needing adjustment let alone replacing.

As you cannot reproduce the sound when stationary just revving the engine and it doesn't do it from lower speeds in lower gears then is it possible it's an aerodynamic whistle, whine or a resonance?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

As you cannot reproduce the sound when stationary just revving the engine and it doesn't do it from lower speeds in lower gears then is it possible it's an aerodynamic whistle, whine or a resonance?

Funny you should say that, Dave. I have a new helmet and if I turn my head at just the right angle it can make an aerodynamic ‘squeak’. Took me bloody ages to realise it wasn’t something on the bike! ;) 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Tex said:

Funny you should say that, Dave. I have a new helmet and if I turn my head at just the right angle it can make an aerodynamic ‘squeak’. Took me bloody ages to realise it wasn’t something on the bike! ;) 

i had a similar thing happening, when pulling up at a junction on my way in to work i turned my head and heard , what i thought was a siren, despite looking all around i couldn't see anything, it was only after the third time and at the same place that i realised it was helmet rubbing on jacket collar.

al

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I did follow recommendations and had a good look today at the drive change , clean up and greased with silicon lube spray , riding around at low speeds in urban areas seams to be fine which does make me feel that you might be right about the chain . Not an expert in bike mechanics but it does seem slightly loose which might create the noises on deceleration.

opininions.

Slightly loose is vastly preferable to slightly tight! 

• Thanks 1
Trumpet

A chain at 6000 miles could be worn out, if its not been looked after riding over winter ?:poke:

trisaki
3 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

A 2018 bike with only 6000 miles shouldn't have wear on brake parts or leaking intakes as it probably has never been disturbed yet.

Even the chain should be barely needing adjustment let alone replacing.

Dont you believe it ! Just had a 2018 v-Strom 1000 in my wshop , 7000 miles  rear brake just about  to seize  making  all sorts  of weird noises  , drive chain way too tight so rear suspension  hardly moving and rear wheel  spindle (36mm nut ) barely finger tight  just been to a Suzuki dealer for its 7500 service 😁, so make sure someone  who knows  what to look out for looks it over , also in the past when I worked  as a mot tester had a Yamaha r6 come in for  its first mot with 2400 on the clock  , failed it on a seized rear brake , so any mileage  , if bike not looked  after either dealer or owner can have all sorts  of things  go tits up 

• Like 1
trisaki
1 hour ago, Ricky said:

I did follow recommendations and had a good look today at the drive change , clean up and greased with silicon lube spray , riding around at low speeds in urban areas seams to be fine which does make me feel that you might be right about the chain . Not an expert in bike mechanics but it does seem slightly loose which might create the noises on deceleration.

opininions.

If you are anywhere  near west Sussex  pop it over to my wshop near arundel  for a free check over  

• Like 2
Andy m

Distances in Km and bike fuelled by gas, so I'm guessing not too close to the Sussex we know 😁

Chain slack wants to be at least 20mm/0.75 inch it shows you how to check in the manual. 

I can imagine all the suggestions above are possible despite the low mileage. I'd also be looking for anything loose like a hugger or mudguard. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
listener

If you're talking about a whirring whine ...

Yes I had that with the NC700X, my recent NC750X and my current NC750X.

I've only heard it when coming to a halt, ie slowing from 30+mph to walking pace. It might happen at higher speeds but, since I wear plugs on longer runs, I can't say I've heard anything.

It usually sounds with a short rise in frequency followed by a longer drop in frequency; a bit like a siren. It often causes me to look around for an emergency vehicle.

I've heard it while wearing two different helmet (NOT at the same time, you jokers :P) and it's not the helmet rubbing on the jacket.

It appear to emanate from near the front but not necessarily the brakes. Maybe there's a servo (ABS, FI?), or the clutch, or the rad fan?

Who knows ... ?! :blink: 

PS: Maybe Honda have a sense of humour and have secreted one of these one the bike :whistle:

Edited by listener
SteveThackery

I've had the chain make squeaks like that.  The only other source I've come across that has that behaviour is an inlet manifold gasket leak.  The high vacuum when on the overrun draws air through the leak and can make a whistle/squeak sound.

• Like 1