Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy old man

Tom Tom rider 550?

Grumpy old man

Hi All

Thinking of the above I like the sound of the My Drive route planning which is compatible . 

What do people think?

Cheers and beers

Lloyd

DaveM59

No experience of this particular model but I have used both Tom Tom and Garmin and find Tom Tom far easier to use, more intuitive, easier to tweak and to amend routes 'live' and simpler to set up using PC based route planners. Garmin will do it too but it's more temperamental and a bit more fiddly. If you haven't used Tom Tom then Garmin seems fine but I think Tom Tom just pips it for user friendliness.

A tip for using PC mapping programs to create your own scenic routes... don't place too many waypoints, just one around each major junction. If you put too many in and for some reason miss one, it can be annoying to keep being asked to turn round. Also zoom in and make sure you put them on the correct side of dual carriageways and also if you 'reverse' a route in the planner software that uses any dual carriageways, again zoom in and move the waypoints to the opposite carriageway or it wants you to loop round and pick them up.

I place ones at planned petrol stations and cafes so as to be reminded to stop occasionally!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steel Horse UK
Posted (edited)

I would really like a TOMTOM rider but cannot justify the cost of it..........  I am sure the rider version has to be more expensive!

I fully accept that for the 'obvious' reasons but why soooooo much more!   

Incidentally, SBS have them on offer, 20% off the premium 550 version. I just looked. 

Edited by Steel Horse UK
  • Thanks 2

8ace

I've just got the TomTom app on my phone. £14.99 a year and I really like the TomTom Mydrive PC site for planning.

• Like 2

Grumpy old man
2 hours ago, Steel Horse UK said:

I would really like a TOMTOM rider but cannot justify the cost of it..........  I am sure the rider version has to be more expensive!

I fully accept that for the 'obvious' reasons but why soooooo much more!   

Incidentally, SBS have them on offer, 20% off the premium 550 version. I just looked. 

Thanks I'd already seen the offer which is one of the reasons I was considering it.

• Like 1

Steel Horse UK
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

Thanks I'd already seen the offer which is one of the reasons I was considering it.

If I had the money to spend, I would get one for sure! Hope you go for it..... let us know Grumpy!

Edited by Steel Horse UK
  • Like 1

arengle
4 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Hi All

Thinking of the above I like the sound of the My Drive route planning which is compatible . 

What do people think?

Cheers and beers

Lloyd

I have the 510 and is very good. I use it only for long trips, and generally I am planning the routes on the web and download on the sat nav. I usually split the trip in 2 routes daily. if we want to just ride, the internal routes planning, winding roads are very good will put you on nice roads. One feature that I like a lot is the fact that you can rotate it and will change the display, you will see more of road ahead, very useful on twisty roads, save my life this feature somewhere in austria.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ste7ios
15 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Hi All

What do people think?

Cheers and beers

Lloyd

MyDrive web & app are very basic but they evolve... The good thing is that you’re working on the same map with the device. Maps may differ so the routes on one will not have an exact match with the other.

MyRoute-app is much more advanced but to have TomTom (and other commercial maps) you’ve to pay...

• Thanks 1

Tonyj

Tom Tom is Poundland version of garmin.

Andy m
Posted (edited)

More like Amstrad and Sony fighting over the last buyer who doesn't have a smartphone. 

Tom Tom e-mailed me a few week back to say my "Lifetime free updates" would now be ended. Now I'm not really that bothered as I auctionsited the box when the battery started to go in 2014. The fact this device was bought in 2012 and they consider a "lifetime" to be 7 years does not give me a warm feeling towards them. 

The Samsung phone I bought in 2014 still works, including it's battery. As the oldest of three devices I have use of it's been on a handlebar mount in thunderstorms and never missed a beat. It does overheat if used under a tank bag map pocket at the height of summer. You can't see this or the TomTom screen, so putting the phone inside and listening to the voices in your head is the same. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3

PoppetM
6 minutes ago, Andy m said:

listening to the voices in your head 

:banana:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Andy m

This one sounds like Fenella Fielding, a great improvement over the nagging American on the old one. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PoppetM
3 minutes ago, Andy m said:

This one sounds like Fenella Fielding, a great improvement over the nagging American on the old one. 

Andy

You got me at voices in the head :cheer:

I am tempted by that offer, good price....

• Haha 1

Mr Toad

When I only have one voice in my head I know that the battery in my helmet Bluetooth unit has died and needs charging.

• Haha 1

ste7ios
4 hours ago, Andy m said:

More like Amstrad and Sony fighting over the last buyer who doesn't have a smartphone. 

Tom Tom e-mailed me a few week back to say my "Lifetime free updates" would now be ended. Now I'm not really that bothered as I auctionsited the box when the battery started to go in 2014. The fact this device was bought in 2012 and they consider a "lifetime" to be 7 years does not give me a warm feeling towards them. 

The Samsung phone I bought in 2014 still works, including it's battery. As the oldest of three devices I have use of it's been on a handlebar mount in thunderstorms and never missed a beat. It does overheat if used under a tank bag map pocket at the height of summer. You can't see this or the TomTom screen, so putting the phone inside and listening to the voices in your head is the same. 

Andy

Companies’ statements, product brochures are usually misleading. It’s really easy for consumer products... You’ve to delve into product manuals, support sites, legal stuff  and user forums to understand what you really buying...

For TomTom lifetime is defined as:

Lifetime is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates. 

https://us.support.tomtom.com/app/content/name/Lifetime/page/1

For Garmin is similar:

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive map updates when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. ...

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/legal/lmdisclaimer

Maps are getting larger every year and heavier for a device to process. Not because of new roads but because of the data they carry to calculate the fastest route based on average speeds and other congestion data. TomTom calls that IQ Routes technology.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9552/~/about-iq-routes

Other maps also have 3D models of the surrounding structures...

So it doesn’t matter when you bought a satnav device but when it was produced and its specs.

My TomTom Urban Rider was supported with map updates for almost 13 years (produced in 2005-2006).

You can still use an old device like that if an up to date map is not necessary unless you’re affected by the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Week_Number_Rollover_2019

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/updates/

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=zWQY6Z2kFiAuY9kDnDBgZ6

• Like 1

embee

Not exactly the subject, but FWIW I'll add a note regarding something I had happen with Garmin Zumo 590/595.

I hadn't used my 595 for some time and the battery was flat. There is a stupid oddity with these that if you just press the on/off button the screen goes blank but it doesn't actually switch off, it goes into low power mode. To actually switch it off you have to hold the power button for a few seconds and it asks you if you want to turn it off or cancel. Doh  :doh:

I suspect I'd left it in low power mode and the battery was totally flat. I left it plugged into the laptop USB to charge, but it would only hold a small amount, the indicator showed full but it would only last a few minutes on battery. I was about to get a new battery but decided to put it in the cradle on the NC and left it, and it charged fully.

Moral - the Zumo doesn't always fully charge properly on a regular USB port, try the cradle.

• Like 1

kayz1
46 minutes ago, embee said:

Not exactly the subject, but FWIW I'll add a note regarding something I had happen with Garmin Zumo 590/595.

I hadn't used my 595 for some time and the battery was flat. There is a stupid oddity with these that if you just press the on/off button the screen goes blank but it doesn't actually switch off, it goes into low power mode. To actually switch it off you have to hold the power button for a few seconds and it asks you if you want to turn it off or cancel. Doh  :doh:

I suspect I'd left it in low power mode and the battery was totally flat. I left it plugged into the laptop USB to charge, but it would only hold a small amount, the indicator showed full but it would only last a few minutes on battery. I was about to get a new battery but decided to put it in the cradle on the NC and left it, and it charged fully.

Moral - the Zumo doesn't always fully charge properly on a regular USB port, try the cradle.

I was told by the Garmin guy i had to consult...they need 2 amps to fully charge that is why they will not even work on some usb chargers..

• Like 2

Tonyj

Can’t actually remember if I got a wall charger with mine . It  hardly has  any charge when I take it from the mount . Has Murray says it goes into low power mode in about a minute . It only come with a lead I think .

ste7ios

Rider 400 also have very bad power saving. It will deplete the battery in a about a week in standby.

Have in mind that with USB chargers in general, it’s not only the output of the charger. If you don’t have a proper cable (power & data lines)   it will charge with the minimum rate (500mA) because of its protocol...

embee
5 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Can’t actually remember if I got a wall charger with mine . It  hardly has  any charge when I take it from the mount . Has Murray says it goes into low power mode in about a minute . It only come with a lead I think .

There is also a well known issue with the (stupid) tiny connector on the flying lead attached to the battery on the Zumo 595 (not sure how many other models use this design). The contacts are a tiny tiny U-shaped pin which is supposed to be a spring fit down a slot type receptacle, but often they aren't a tight enough fit so don't make good contact and the battery never charges above about half. There is a fix shown on various youtube clips of how to ease the U-shape out a bit using a needle or preferably a sharp knife blade. Note these things are tiny and you need either excellent close up vision or a magnifier to do it successfully. I had already done this. Why they didn't use normal battery terminal pads is anyone's guess.

This is in Dutch but you get the idea. Sorry for the derail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msCQiw6vqms

PoppetM

Just bought a Garmin from Infinity...with vouchers I had, £250. Hope it’s ok, my Tom Tom stopped charging on the bike, we tested 12v socket, that’s fine.