Flanker37

Flashing ABS light

Flanker37

I'll never be rid of this bike at the rate things are going wrong with it. My abs light is coming on flashing constantly until ignition is switched off.

It's only coming on once the bike exceeds 50. Honda recons it's going to need over an hour on the diagnostic software. Me thinks I'm being ripped off.

A sportsbike mate recons it's because I still have original 2012 battery in it

What are your thoughts?

• Sad 1

Andy m

The battery is at it's lowest just after the engine starts and the self test is carried out as you pass about 5 mph. It is however the most common cause of the ABS shutting down. 

Flashing seems odd. A fault should be light on until a successful self test. 

A system that gets past the start up is basically sound. 50 mph would be more typical of a sensor fault. 

Charge the battery and see what changes. Connecting to a code reader is by far the easiest way to diagnose this. Does anyone know if the NC has a blink code like the CB? 

Andy

Andy m

Seems the 700 can be blink coded

Just a pin grounded in the diagnostic plug to get this. 

Andy

• Like 1

Flanker37

the battery has sat on an oxford optimizer for 2 days

Andy m

It won't help if it's stuffed. It's like leaving a half pint pot under a running tap all night and expecting it to hold a gallon. 

Andy

Flanker37

So what are my options. Buy a new battery £70 and hope light goes away. Or take it to Honda £150

Andy m

Blink code for low voltage is 6 1

Blink code for high voltage is 6 2

For those I'd change the battery

Blink code 11, 12, 15, 41, 42 or 21 refer to the front sensor

Blink code 13, 14, 15, 43 or 23 refer to the rear

For these I would start by following the cables and if that fails try Honda

Andy

Flanker37

I don't have any blink codes. Bike does it's thing at start up as normal. The flashing abs light comes on once the bike exceeds 50mph. And stays on untill engine switch off

DaveM59
Posted (edited)

Could be a slightly bent ABS ring on one wheel or corrosion on the sensor.  The reading probably goes out of tolerance above a certain speed if the sensor can't make a clean pickup.

If it was the battery, would it not show as a fault straight away by not going off at 3mph as you first ride off?

Alternatively could it be a failing regulator which is actually overcharging and causing the ABS pickup voltage to go out of tolerance? Check the battery voltage when revving the motor and if it goes over 14.5V by more than a tiny amount then the reg is failing. If you are having battery problems then overcharging could be the reason.

Edited by DaveM59
  • Like 2

Tex
5 minutes ago, DaveM59 said:

Could be a slightly bent ABS ring on one wheel or corrosion on the sensor.  The reading probably goes out of tolerance above a certain speed if the sensor can't make a clean pickup.

That’s entirely possible. The machine was knocked over when parked and ABS rings are pretty easily bent. Pretty simple to check for runout. 

• Like 1

Flanker37

Tex you might be right. After Xmas there was another attempt at theft, they've tried walking away. But only got as far as the disk lock coming into contact with the caliper

• Like 1

Flanker37

Well it's all good, and I'm glad I didn't take it to Honda. As I'm sure I would have been ripped off. I mentioned the problem to a guy at work who does track days. He had me come into work, and as soon as the bosses were gone. He had the bike in the factory.

Turns out it was something as simple as dirty abs sensors. Half hour later all cleaned up, problem solved

I bet Honda would have it hooked up to the diagnostic software for 2 hours like they said they would. And then told me about the sensors

• Like 1

Tonyj

Because that’s the way they pay for the machine . Diagnostic review is part and parcel of service work now . You will never know if they would have ripped you off though . 

If I don’t like the chat they give back or it’s noncommittal I use some one else . It is lucky you can do it in your work time with some one who is experienced to recognise the possible problem. 

• Like 1