PoppetM

Gamin Zumo 346

PoppetM

My early birthday present to myself has arrived. It didn't come with the 12v socket I was hoping for to go from the cradle like my Tom Tom did. 

Wiring it to the bike is far beyond my comprehension (ok I don't actually know where the battery is or how to get to it or how to "earth it"). I am also worried about draining the battery, I don't use the Sat Nav that often, perhaps three or four times a year.   (I also have a trakkr fitted which takes battery consumption)

Having read the reviews the pins in the cable aren't that great for keeping contact with the unit anyway when bouncing about.  How safe is it to cheat and just use the car cable?  (Micro USB to old fashioned 12V socket?). I know some of you charge your phone on the road - any issues with water getting into the USB connections when it rains? 

On the upside I no longer need to fracture my thumb joint trying to my TomTom on and off :) 

DaveM59

The battery on your Forza is behind that panel at the front of the underseat storage, just below the seat hinge. Undo the three silver screws and the panel pulls off.

The car charger will be fine and a smear of silicone grease on the usb plug will prevent any water access, I've been using this type for years with a car type GPS unit. Getting it wet has never been a problem as it's only droplets, a hosepipe jet might be a different matter!

On my Forza I use one of those little power adaptors that takes a 12V supply and converts to a 5V mini USB and took the + feed from the LH brake light switch and grounded to the handlebars. I fed the USB output lead through to under the centre handlebar trim panel which pops off fairly easily and my RAM mount is also attached under there. When I need the GPS I pop off the panel and chuck it in the cubby box and clamp the GPS in place and plug it in. 

GerJ

The pins in the cradle should give no problem at all, if twice a year you squirt a tiny amount of vaseline on them. I would recommend to use the cradle and have it switched over the ignition, not directly to the battery, for then the power transforming unit will slowly but surely drain the battery.

• Like 1

Jeffprince
Posted (edited)

The bike cradle on my Garmin won't allow using the supplied car cig lighter-style connection...only the pins connector fits while its mounted. Mine is old, though, and models may vary.

Just spent an hour, playing with the wiring. I have a female RC connector fitted direct to the battery, into which the male sat nag RC connector plugs, when needed. I use that connector for battery conditioner, as and when. Bleeding thing wasn't working...thought it was cable fault, as sat nag worked with all other connection types. Turned out, this idiot had wired the RC connector wrong. Reversed the wires and hey presto, a working sat nav! 

I'm happy enough to wire direct to the battery and unplug when not in use.....unplugging is part of sticking the sat nav unit in the trunk.

Edited by Jeffprince
  • Like 1

PoppetM
4 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

The battery on your Forza is behind that panel at the front of the underseat storage, just below the seat hinge. Undo the three silver screws and the panel pulls off.

Thank you, will have a look!

The car charger will be fine and a smear of silicone grease on the usb plug will prevent any water access, I've been using this type for years with a car type GPS unit. Getting it wet has never been a problem as it's only droplets, a hosepipe jet might be a different matter!

Was hoping you might say that... I generally only do ride outs in good weather, but occasionally there is the odd Chuck it down!

On my Forza I use one of those little power adaptors that takes a 12V supply and converts to a 5V mini USB and took the + feed from the LH brake light switch and grounded to the handlebars. I fed the USB output lead through to under the centre handlebar trim panel which pops off fairly easily and my RAM mount is also attached under there. When I need the GPS I pop off the panel and chuck it in the cubby box and clamp the GPS in place and plug it in. 

Got out the ram mount fine, but the wiring is beyond my comprehension.....

2 hours ago, GerJ said:

The pins in the cradle should give no problem at all, if twice a year you squirt a tiny amount of vaseline on them. I would recommend to use the cradle and have it switched over the ignition, not directly to the battery, for then the power transforming unit will slowly but surely drain the battery.

I guess I need to put it into Honda for them to fit it

1 hour ago, Jeffprince said:

The bike cradle on my Garmin won't allow using the supplied car cig lighter-style connection...only the pins connector fits while its mounted. Mine is old, though, and models may vary.

Just spent an hour, playing with the wiring. I have a female RC connector fitted direct to the battery, into which the male sat nag RC connector plugs, when needed. I use that connector for battery conditioner, as and when. Bleeding thing wasn't working...thought it was cable fault, as sat nag worked with all other connection types. Turned out, this idiot had wired the RC connector wrong. Reversed the wires and hey presto, a working sat nav! 

I'm happy enough to wire direct to the battery and unplug when not in use.....unplugging is part of sticking the sat nav unit in the trunk.

I wouldn’t have clue...

• Like 1

PoppetM

Ok so my friend Mr u tube, tells me red wire to the positive, black to the negative on the battery terminal? Correct? Red goes on first (don’t put GPS on the cradle During instal). Then the black. So grounding it is just putting it on the negative?

But when not in use will it drain th3 battery just having a feed to the empty cradle?

Radarman
5 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

But when not in use will it drain th3 battery just having a feed to the empty cradle?

You should be fine with just a cradle assuming there is no electronics inside it draining the parasitic current.

• Like 1

PoppetM
4 minutes ago, Radarman said:

You should be fine with just a cradle assuming there is no electronics inside it draining the parasitic current.

Was just thinking if you wire it into lights instead of battery as soon as you turn on the ignition it will be live anyway, so presumably as you say if it’s on the terminal as long as I take the GPS off (I always do) and put the weather cap on the connector then it won’t drain the battery?

so used to putting the sat nav cable on the bike into a 12v socket as and when I need it. Don’t want to go out and find it drained out overnight!

Tonyj

won't happen pop , as a temp measure i left mine on (overnight cradle) that was for over 18months :0) finally got around to permanently wired when i swopped the bike out . not enough to drain a battery only if you don't use bike for ages. or battery shagged

• Thanks 1

PoppetM
Posted (edited)

Ok Poppet going to get rid of the husband out the way on Saturday and have a go at bike electrics...:banana:

Having put it on the cradle I can’t use the micro USB socket anyway.

Edited by PoppetM
  • Like 1

Radarman
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Ok Poppet going to get rid of the husband out the way on Saturday and have a go at bike electrics...:banana:

Sam, take some photos of that cradle and wires and post them here or post a link here so we can have a look.

I could've help you on Sat but we're going to PL late afternoon...

Edited by Radarman
  • Thanks 1

Rocker66
9 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Having put it on the cradle I can’t use the micro USB socket anyway.

1 minute ago, Radarman said:

Sam, take some photos of that cradle and wires and post them here or post a link here so we can have a look.

I could've help you on Sat but we're going to PL late afternoon...

Surrey Fire and Rescue have a dedicated crew on standby 😂😂

• Haha 4

embee
2 hours ago, Radarman said:

There are electronics in the cradle. I don't know what the quiescent current draw is. I have mine on a direct link to the battery but with a switch (with a tell-tale LED) so when I'm using the satnav I can power it up on the bike without the ignition but the cradle is not permanently powered. Some of the earlier cradles suffered from corrosion when used powered without the satnav fitted, but they (550 type) had the contact pins on the bottom face so were susceptible to water even though there was a rubber cap.

I agree about the occasional smear with Vaseline or silicone grease on the contact pins, plus I have a habit of wiping the contact pads with a finger when fitting the Zumo into the cradle to keep them clean.

wendeg
9 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Yes, it will. There will be some current drain even without device in cradle. Not a prob if you use bike regularly but may drain batt if you don t use bike for a week or so. Can tell from personal experience

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

PoppetM
Posted (edited)

Here’s the kit.ignore the USB socket on top left. It’s just cradle with the two contact pins in between the silver screw heads.

Bike does 80miles Mon- Fri. So if battery is easy to reach, before going on holiday remember to take the sat nav connections off the terminals so it doesn’t drain. Then ask Honda the to wire it another way next time it is serviced.

Just  got to remember to call Trackkr people before I disconnect the battery...

9F546E39-67C1-4039-A445-A8A28DD280A6.jpeg

64FE38CC-0E43-409C-982E-63EBF95B8CDE.jpeg

Edited by PoppetM

PoppetM
15 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

Was it fairl6 easy to hide the wiring from battery up in to the handlebar? I am looking to follow the cabling to rear brake reservoir but wondered how easy it is to do...

Tex

I’m in Berlin this weekend but would be happy to help another time.  If you don’t use the sat nav that often what’s the rush? A bunch of us could get together and have a ‘spanner day’? :niceone: Peter (pjm) is a dab hand at fitting cameras and electrical accessories, we could get him in on it. Or maybe Sir Fred would like to put some more miles on the GS and join in? I’m not being critical, but if you need confirmation which colour lead goes where on the battery you probably could use a hand.. 

Grumpy Meltdown
11 minutes ago, Tex said:

I’m in Berlin this weekend but would be happy to help another time.  If you don’t use the sat nav that often what’s the rush? A bunch of us could get together and have a ‘spanner day’? :niceone: Peter (pjm) is a dab hand at fitting cameras and electrical accessories, we could get him in on it. Or maybe Sir Fred would like to put some more miles on the GS and join in? I’m not being critical, but if you need confirmation which colour lead goes where on the battery you probably could use a hand.. 

She is potentially leading a ride in the Peaks at the end of April, so would need it for then.

Sam, the Garmin are a bit funny in that if wired so they switch off with the ignition, they go into standby which will drain the satnav battery.

To switch it off fully you need to press and hold the power button before you remove it from the mount, or switch the ignition off.

I does give a warning screen that gives the option to cancel standby mode, so just do that and then switch it off as above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PoppetM
34 minutes ago, Tex said:

Thank you. For the interim I will go straight to the battery until we can find a weekend mutually convenient :)  I can always take the connections off if I reach the winter months where I don't need it and the bike is likely to be idle.

Andy does have electric quals and will no doubt spend his office day today researching it and running it past his colleagues with wiring diagrams (I just don't like letting him near my things, after he drowned the Vespa and killed the battery on my Tigra by not listening to me) as long as he stays at the business end with electrics and leaves the routing and panel stuff to me we might get through Saturday without a row! :) 

Think I have also sorted a route for the wiring as well :) 

• Like 1

Tex

Cool. In that case I’m sure you’ll be fine. :niceone:

• Like 1

DaveM59

Good point about the power off as if you are following a pre loaded itinerary, sometimes when starting up again the GPS forgets where it is and starts the route over again trying to send you right back to point one, especially if the GPS battery hasn't much charge. If you put the GPS into standby before removing the power it remembers where it is and where it has been already.

My fairly new Garmin refuses to hold much charge regardless of how long I plug it in for but works fine on the car charger but dies almost as soon as I turn the engine off.

GerJ
8 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Here’s the kit.ignore the USB socket on top left. It’s just cradle with the two contact pins in between the silver screw heads.

Bike does 80miles Mon- Fri. So if battery is easy to reach, before going on holiday remember to take the sat nav connections off the terminals so it doesn’t drain. Then ask Honda the to wire it another way next time it is serviced.

Just  got to remember to call Trackkr people before I disconnect the battery...

9F546E39-67C1-4039-A445-A8A28DD280A6.jpeg

64FE38CC-0E43-409C-982E-63EBF95B8CDE.jpeg

The rectangular block in the bottom image is a power transformer, converting 9 to 5 volts. If wired directly to the battery, it will drain the battery slowly but surely, even with no satnav in the cradle. That is why it should be powered only when the ignition is switched on.

• Like 1

PoppetM

Thanks for all your input  gents, hugely appreciated. We have now come up with putting bullet connections on so I can disconnect it easily and don’t have to keep playing with the battery connections and the cradle doesn’t drain. Mr P is being sent off with the wiring tomorrow to do the cable (keeps him out of mischief)

Had a crash course in elecs!

• Like 1

Mister Paul

I've had a Garmin cradle hard-wired to my bike(s) for a couple of years now. No impact on the battery whatsoever.

Radarman

Sam,

I have another idea. I assume you have some sort of battery charger / conditioner that you use for the bike. If that's lets say Optimate or another Oxford product, buy an Oxford battery charger lead like this one:

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/battery_care_and_power_accessories/maxioximiser_ring_leads_unpackaged/

then wire it permanently to the battery.

Then buy a set of connectors like these: https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/Adapter-Connector-For-Optimate-Accumate-Battery-Charger/161226891912

and use the male connector to terminate loose end of the lead coming out of the transformer seen on your picture. Red wire (+12V) goes to half-circle side of the male connector while the black one goes to the square one. Then connect everything together and voila...

This way you'll be able to disconnect the satnav without wiring any switch and at the same time ability to connect a battery charger if needed via this lead wired to the battery.

Hope that does make sense?

• Like 2