PoppetM

Gamin Zumo 346

Jeffprince
2 hours ago, Radarman said:

Sam,

I have another idea. I assume you have some sort of battery charger / conditioner that you use for the bike. If that's lets say Optimate or another Oxford product, buy an Oxford battery charger lead like this one:

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/battery_care_and_power_accessories/maxioximiser_ring_leads_unpackaged/

then wire it permanently to the battery.

Then buy a set of connectors like these: https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/Adapter-Connector-For-Optimate-Accumate-Battery-Charger/161226891912

and use the male connector to terminate loose end of the lead coming out of the transformer seen on your picture. Red wire (+12V) goes to half-circle side of the male connector while the black one goes to the square one. Then connect everything together and voila...

This way you'll be able to disconnect the satnav without wiring any switch and at the same time ability to connect a battery charger if needed via this lead wired to the battery.

Hope that does make sense?

That's exactly what I call RC connectors in my post above. Think the name comes from remote control car chargers. I have one wired directly to the battery, to which I plug the Optimate, usb socket or sat nav. The connectors come in two sizes, mind...pics look the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Englishman

I have the same.  The power supply for the cradle should come from the battery to a normally open contact on a relay and from the other side of the normal open contact to the cradle.  The relay coil supply should be a switched supply, I took mine from the supply to the foot brake light  switch but it could be taken from the supply to the tail light.  That way when the ignition is on the relay is energised and the power is supplied to the cradle, ignition off relay is de-energised and the power to the cradle is interrupted.  This means the supply to the cradle is interlocked electrically with the ignition switch function and cannot be left on when the ignition is off.  if you can get the bike to Telscombe Cliffs I can do it for you

• Thanks 1

PoppetM
8 hours ago, Radarman said:

Sam,

I have another idea. I assume you have some sort of battery charger / conditioner that you use for the bike. If that's lets say Optimate or another Oxford product, buy an Oxford battery charger lead like this one:

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/battery_care_and_power_accessories/maxioximiser_ring_leads_unpackaged/

then wire it permanently to the battery.

Then buy a set of connectors like these: https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/Adapter-Connector-For-Optimate-Accumate-Battery-Charger/161226891912

and use the male connector to terminate loose end of the lead coming out of the transformer seen on your picture. Red wire (+12V) goes to half-circle side of the male connector while the black one goes to the square one. Then connect everything together and voila...

This way you'll be able to disconnect the satnav without wiring any switch and at the same time ability to connect a battery charger if needed via this lead wired to the battery.

Hope that does make sense?

I don’t use a battery conditioner or charger, never needed to as bike is used daily. 

Makes sense to me, thank you. Presumably I don’t need the fuse on the Garmin cable if using the above connection lead as there is one fuse already inline?

pjm

Hi Sam, what Andrew describes would guarantee that the power to the mount was dead when the ignition is switched off. Very simple circuit using an automotive relay. Your temporary set up will be fine as you use the bike regularly but the relay set up will be the long term way to go unless you pick up a switched live from somewhere else. Did you have heated grips fitted? If so there is likely to be switched live that you could easily tap in to that will power the mount. If you get stuck I am sure we can sort it out. If hubby is an electrician it should be a very simple job for him. It is just a case of using a meter to find the switched live and then making a good connection that is well insulated and a good earth. Then make sure nothing is going to get stretched or rubbed when turning the bars, neatly secure it with cable ties and job done. Just take your time and use common sense backed up by the meter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

NCX-Tom

My solution:

Car socket with permanent connection to batterie, including fuse. So I can charge the batterie in winter. Then, I use the Garmin plate on Ram Mount on all my bikes. Output car plug, input mini USB. If using  cam and Garmin, input comes via double USB in car plug. To use the mini USB in Garmin plate, You have to file away a small part of plastic on Garmin plate. Is working on all my bikes, even in rain.  Greetings from Germany

Garmin.jpg

Garmin%202.jpg

• Thanks 1

Woody 99
11 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

I've had a Garmin cradle hard-wired to my bike(s) for a couple of years now. No impact on the battery whatsoever.

Ditto with a TomTom. 

• Like 1

PoppetM

The only other electrical accessory on the scoot is the Trackkr, no heated grips or Optimate. 

Andrew thank you for that kind offer - if we get stuck (hubby is having second thoughts and turning it into drama, which is why I try not to give him anything DIY) I may take you up on it! 

GerJ
10 hours ago, Englishman said:

I have the same.  The power supply for the cradle should come from the battery to a normally open contact on a relay and from the other side of the normal open contact to the cradle.  The relay coil supply should be a switched supply, I took mine from the supply to the foot brake light  switch but it could be taken from the supply to the tail light.  That way when the ignition is on the relay is energised and the power is supplied to the cradle, ignition off relay is de-energised and the power to the cradle is interrupted.  This means the supply to the cradle is interlocked electrically with the ignition switch function and cannot be left on when the ignition is off.  if you can get the bike to Telscombe Cliffs I can do it for you

The cleanest solution.

embee
23 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

My fairly new Garmin refuses to hold much charge regardless of how long I plug it in for but works fine on the car charger but dies almost as soon as I turn the engine off.

That's a fairly common issue, and nearly always down to poor contacts on the flying lead from the battery (assuming it's the 595 type with a short lead and plug permanently attached to the battery?)

The Zumo forum has stuff on this, and almost everyone who has had this issue and tried the "fix" has solved the problem, it worked for me.

You need to gently ease the contact pins wider in the plug itself. They are tiny so unless you have excellent near vision you might need a lens. They are "U" section and the two legs fit down a slot between terminal contacts in the Zumo itself, you open out the "U" shape a little to make them a tighter fit. It works. Mine would only achieve at best half charge for any length of time, but after the fix it goes to full and holds a few hours worth of use. I have found it won't always charge fully via USB, but in the cradle on a vehicle power supply it will fully charge.

That flying lead plug is a stupid idiotic bonkers stupid design,...……………... just sayin' ……………...

• Like 1

PoppetM

Garmin users, am I being thick? It won’t let me search by address? Says no map data? Website was no help.

But maps are all ticked, it’s all up to date? It’s allowed me to find one location...Loomies.

It’s failed to find Rykas or Whiteways and it can’t find my brothers village...

I managed to save Whiteways after riding there and saving my location as a Favourite.

Kind is irritating when .i just want to throw a postcode in and go....

Jeffprince

Does it have a setting for country...one of the early screens in search? I have to set mine up for England or Wales, for example, to search as appropriate, before the postcode goes in.

PoppetM
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Jeffprince said:

Does it have a setting for country...one of the early screens in search? I have to set mine up for England or Wales, for example, to search as appropriate, before the postcode goes in.

Wont even let me get that far. From home screen .i have the options of Home, Address or favourites. As soon as I click on Address it says no map data. 

I have tried using the search function in top right, it comes up the same. 

We have reset it. I have upgraded my laptop OS to High Sierra, downloaded Garmin Express and Basecamp, says search function not supported. So I have ticked the box transfer maps to laptop.... 2hr wait....

Cant find any forums reporting the issue...

Edited by PoppetM

Scootabout
1 hour ago, PoppetM said:

Wont even let me get that far. From home screen .i have the options of Home, Address or favourites. As soon as I click on Address it says no map data. 

I have tried using the search function in top right, it comes up the same. 

We have reset it. I have upgraded my laptop OS to High Sierra, downloaded Garmin Express and Basecamp, says search function not supported. So I have ticked the box transfer maps to laptop.... 2hr wait....

Cant find any forums reporting the issue...

One thought is that you might not have uploaded the maps yet? You might have to do this online.  On the other hand I'm surprised you've got tick-boxes for the maps if that isn't the case. 

giley
Posted (edited)

from another forum...

"This happens because the maps are incomplete on the device. You can still select previously found points is because they are saved on the device in coordinates. If you actually select them, it will most likely fail to direct you correctly. To fix this issue, update needs to run again and we need to ensure the transfer is completely finished before the device is unplugged. Please try the following:

Connect the GPS to the computer and launch Garmin Express.

Select your device.

Click on "Map Options".

Click on "Reinstall Map".

Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the map update again.

When the update is finished, click on "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" in your System Tray (the icons by the computer's clock).

You may have to click on the symbol to "show hidden icons"/"show more icons" to see this.

Select to eject the GPS (or memory card if the maps were installed to it).

Wait for the computer to say it is safe to remove the device before you unplug it. If it says it is busy, let it finish."

do make sure you eject the garmin and media card if it has one , from the mac when finished.

Edited by giley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PoppetM
9 hours ago, giley said:

from another forum...

"This happens because the maps are incomplete on the device. You can still select previously found points is because they are saved on the device in coordinates. If you actually select them, it will most likely fail to direct you correctly. To fix this issue, update needs to run again and we need to ensure the transfer is completely finished before the device is unplugged. Please try the following:

Connect the GPS to the computer and launch Garmin Express.

Select your device.

Click on "Map Options".

Click on "Reinstall Map".

Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the map update again.

When the update is finished, click on "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" in your System Tray (the icons by the computer's clock).

You may have to click on the symbol to "show hidden icons"/"show more icons" to see this.

Select to eject the GPS (or memory card if the maps were installed to it).

Wait for the computer to say it is safe to remove the device before you unplug it. If it says it is busy, let it finish."

do make sure you eject the garmin and media card if it has one , from the mac when finished.

Will give that another go, it’s the only thing I haven’t tried, I have updated maps and software on the Garmin, it’s on 2019.30 Western Europe maps.

Andy m

Copilot updated yesterday. My phone just pinged up a message and I clicked yes, job done. Just saying 😇

Andy

GerJ
Posted (edited)

PoppetM, you do not have any 3rd-party extra maps installed, e.g. on an SD memory card, do you? Because you must either select this 3rd-party map, or Garmin's CN map. Otherwise the silly device gets stressed out. And after changing the map selection you must power down the device completely, not just put it to sleep. When you power it up again, the new map selection will be have taken effect.

Edited by GerJ

PoppetM
1 hour ago, GerJ said:

PoppetM, you do not have any 3rd-party extra maps installed, e.g. on an SD memory card, do you? Because you must either select this 3rd-party map, or Garmin's CN map. Otherwise the silly device gets stressed out. And after changing the map selection you must power down the device completely, not just put it to sleep. When you power it up again, the new map selection will be have taken effect.

Nope, not put anything else on it. It came preloaded with their European map. Which I have reset/updated and tried again.

I can locate addresses on the map and drop a pin and save the coordinates but I cant type an address it gets its knickers in a twist. Couldn't find Redruth in Cornwall (fairly large town).

Mr Toad

I had a similar problem with my BMW Garmin unit. 

From what I could work out it seems that the update process can occasionally be very slow and on one occasion it seems like my Mac rebooted for some reason causing the problem. The update seemed to have worked but I was getting some odd behaviour.

On screen buttons, keyboard etc. were difficult to use. To get the buttons to work you had to touch the screen below the button and not on it. It made using the small on-screen keyboard almost impossible. 

After Googling the issue I decided that a reload of the maps etc. was required and this did fix the problems, it's been fine since.

• Like 1

giley

how is it going any luck with it?

PoppetM
3 minutes ago, giley said:

how is it going any luck with it?

Not had a chance. I have loaded Clive’s maps ok so am tempted to leave the reload of maps until after our weekend away.

Infinity gave me a mobile number for someone at Garmin UK if that doesn’t solve it.

GerJ
Posted (edited)

A quirk of the Zumo 396 (and probably also the 346) you may find irksome is that in car mode (but on the bike) it keeps warning that you have crashed, when evidently you have not. Strangely enough this can only be disabled succesfully after fully setting up the feature. This is the menu path (our devices are in Dutch, so my translation):

Setup > Rider assistance > Accident report. Here you are prompted to set up a bluetooth link to a smartphone and select a contact on that phone. Once the rigmarole has been completed, you can sucessfully disable accident reporting. After this there is no need to ride with the phone connected, you can even turn off bluetooth completely on the Zumo. Yesterday on our way to the Eifel my wife was so relieved to be rid of the annoying warnings.

Edited by GerJ