Sticking Clutch lever

Guest Nicky Burgess

Guest Nicky Burgess

Hi, I am looking to buy a second hand NC 700 S but upon test riding it I found that the clutch was a lot heavier than others I have tried and that the clutch lever also stuck fairly badly when releasing it after it being pulled in.  In the first minute of riding it, it wouldn't move out of 2nd gear but once warmed up a bit more it went through all the gears fine. The clutch lever seemed to free up slightly by the end of my short ride but still not like normal. So I was wondering if this is just from lack of use as the owner hasn't used it throughout winter and used it very little after that. Or could this be a more serious problem and I should steer clear of it.    

It could be as simple as the cable needing lubrication. Indeed, the symptoms suggest that’s what it is. But you buy it at your own risk, so why not use it as a bargaining tool to get the price reduced? If you can get, say, a couple of hundred off then you can easily afford to pop a new cable on. 

• Like 2
Tonyj

check the bottom end of the cable .as tex said sounds like it needs a lube if not may be a new cable

• Like 1
Scootabout

Maybe also check the nut that holds the lever on (look underneath it). He might have bodged it with a replacement and overtightened it. I bought an OEM one recently online for a fiver, incl postage. A lot for a nut, but at least I know it's the right one. 

trisaki
2 hours ago, Nicky Burgess said:

Hi, I am looking to buy a second hand NC 700 S but upon test riding it I found that the clutch was a lot heavier than others I have tried and that the clutch lever also stuck fairly badly when releasing it after it being pulled in.  In the first minute of riding it, it wouldn't move out of 2nd gear but once warmed up a bit more it went through all the gears fine. The clutch lever seemed to free up slightly by the end of my short ride but still not like normal. So I was wondering if this is just from lack of use as the owner hasn't used it throughout winter and used it very little after that. Or could this be a more serious problem and I should steer clear of it.    

Hi not normal  , if you are anywhere near west Sussex  , I would be more than happy to take  a look  and get it sorted for you  at my wshop  

embee
2 hours ago, Tonyj said:

check the bottom end of the cable .as tex said sounds like it needs a lube if not may be a new cable

Indeed, the way the cable is secured down at the engine end is in a steel bracket which sometimes doesn't line up perfectly with the clutch operating lever and the canle rubs at an angle where it comes out of the bracket. This is the same arrangement as on a Deauville and probably other Hondas. The wear can result in strands breaking which can get bunched up just inside the outer making it very stiff.

As said by others, the hand lever pivot is also a prime candidate.

• Like 2
Tonyj

I love it  when embee is on my side , makes me feel like I know what I'm talking about..:0)

• Haha 2
embee
4 hours ago, Tonyj said:

I love it  when embee is on my side , makes me feel like I know what I'm talking about..:0)

No, it's two of us who don't know what we're talking about. :lol:

• Haha 6
Scootabout
On 02/04/2019 at 23:39, embee said:

Indeed, the way the cable is secured down at the engine end is in a steel bracket which sometimes doesn't line up perfectly with the clutch operating lever and the canle rubs at an angle where it comes out of the bracket. This is the same arrangement as on a Deauville and probably other Hondas. The wear can result in strands breaking which can get bunched up just inside the outer making it very stiff.

Yes, but I can vouch for the fact, from personal experience, that it doesn't necessarily make it stiff if that happens. At my last service I was shown the state of the frayed cable (not visible from outside the bracket) and was grateful not to have been left stranded during a hunt for some obscure RBR landmark, for example.

Slowboy

Check the lever pivot, the symptoms sound like it needs a bit of grease round it. My CRF pulled the same stunt about two weeks ago and it was the pivot that had dried out. Bad maintenance on my part.

Brian

Guest DelBoy
On 4/5/2019 at 07:39, slowboy said:

Check the lever pivot, the symptoms sound like it needs a bit of grease round it. My CRF pulled the same stunt about two weeks ago and it was the pivot that had dried out. Bad maintenance on my part.

Brian

As Brian says clean and re-grease the Level pivot etc, probably dry and full of crud.

Walklikegump

What's a clutch lever?